Deiceing

Old April 17th 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Deiceing

I just saw this story on slashdot about deicing technology, the
submitter of the story mentions deicing plane windscreens but I don't
think they realized how much more valuable it could be to deice wings if
it is a good as it sounds like it could be.

http://science.slashdot.org/comments...6/04/16/007227

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com

Old April 17th 06, 08:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Chris W" wrote in message
I just saw this story on slashdot about deicing technology, the submitter
of the story mentions deicing plane windscreens but I don't think they
realized how much more valuable it could be to deice wings if it is a good
as it sounds like it could be.

Link to the actual article:

http://news.com.com/A+high-tech+way+...3-6061333.html

The submitter's "mention" is simply a quote from the article.

From the article:

"The difficulty with PETD lies in power delivery. The surface only has to be
heated to about 1 to 2 degrees Celsius, but a broad surface has to be heated
simultaneously"

It may be that a surface the size of a wing would be substantially too
difficult to apply this technology to.

There are already related technologies being used. Columbia is using
electrically heated deicing, and I have read of a technology more like the
one you've referenced, in which an pulsed electro-magnetic field is used to
knock ice off mechanically (but it doesn't require heating the surface, if I
recall correctly).

Pete

Old April 17th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

If they ever did get it "airplane ready" though the price would be
quite high, simply because its for airplanes. It's hard to imagine
anything more simple than TKS de-icing but even that is about $30,000
for a light single.

-Robert