Info and Links for WX in the Russian Far East Region

Old July 20th 03, 11:47 PM
Frode Berg

Default Info and Links for WX in the Russian Far East Region

Hi!

You probably know this, but Russia charges quite a lot of money for ATC
service.
So, whenever you enter Russian airspace, I think you're charged 100 US per
100 km or something.
I may be way off, but I have considered flying to Russia, and found out it
cost several hundred dollars in ATC service alone. Doesn't matter if your
IFR or VFR either...
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, and sorry I didn'r answer your
question on weather in that region...

Good luck with your trip,

Frode
skrev i melding
Hi,

I'm contemplating on a trip to fly myself in a Cessna 172 from Alaska
to Beijing next summer through the Siberian coast. I have a site on
Russian wx report (kind of like the duat wx portion). But where could
I find more detailed information on the weather pattern during the
summer time along the route? I'm particularly interested in knowing if
there exists a general wx phenomena (ie maybe July is a raining season
that I should avoid and August is a sunny period) in that region and
also getting some daily satellite or radar wx images.

Thanks in advance,

Jizhong

Old July 21st 03, 05:13 AM

Frode, I'd be happy to pay that if that's the only money I need to
pay. I haven't figure everything out yet, but I think I might need to
hire a Russia interpretor unless I can go up to the flight level like
the commercial airlines. I also need to worry about av fuel supply
along the route. I'm budgeting $10k, though I might not have to pay
that much.

Thanks,

Jizhong

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 22:47:25 GMT, "Frode Berg"
wrote:

Hi!

You probably know this, but Russia charges quite a lot of money for ATC
service.
So, whenever you enter Russian airspace, I think you're charged 100 US per
100 km or something.
I may be way off, but I have considered flying to Russia, and found out it
cost several hundred dollars in ATC service alone. Doesn't matter if your
IFR or VFR either...
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, and sorry I didn'r answer your
question on weather in that region...

Good luck with your trip,

Frode
skrev i melding
.. .

Old July 22nd 03, 03:20 AM

Chris,

According to one of the webpage, there is limited supply of 91 Av fuel
in Russia. I've not verified it officially, but potentially a lot of
our older GA airplane can take that. Even we still have to request for
fuel pre-deposit, it should be cheaper than getting 100LL from the
states. Also I found the 100LL is quite wide available in China and
sells about the same price (or cheaper) than the state. Hope it has
the same quality though.

What kind of airplane are you putting your diesel on?

Jizhong

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:43:35 GMT, Chris W wrote:

wrote:

Frode, I'd be happy to pay that if that's the only money I need to
pay. I haven't figure everything out yet, but I think I might need to
hire a Russia interpretor unless I can go up to the flight level like
the commercial airlines. I also need to worry about av fuel supply
along the route. I'm budgeting $10k, though I might not have to pay
that much.

Getting AV gas is going to be one of the bigger problems. You will most likely
have to have it shipped or flown in for you. Keep me posted on your progress
though. I would like to do some flying in Russia some day. Due to the lack
and expense of AV gas outside the USA and other reasons, I plan on putting a
diesel engine in my plane. That way I can burn jet fuel, which is easier to
come by in Russia. If you do much flying out side the USA the jet fuel will be
tons cheaper too. I checked the price in Greenland a while back, AV gas
$6/gal, Jet A $2/gal. If you fly much with those prices the diesel engine will
pay for its self pretty quick.

Old July 22nd 03, 09:52 PM
Chris W

Chris,

According to one of the webpage, there is limited supply of 91 Av fuel
in Russia. I've not verified it officially, but potentially a lot of
our older GA airplane can take that. Even we still have to request for
fuel pre-deposit, it should be cheaper than getting 100LL from the
states. Also I found the 100LL is quite wide available in China and
sells about the same price (or cheaper) than the state. Hope it has
the same quality though.

What kind of airplane are you putting your diesel on?

I hope to put one of these
http://www.deltahawkengines.com/

on one of these
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-7int.htm

With that engine on that plane I should have a range close to 900 knots. I would be
careful about using that 91 AV fuel in russia. I have heard that the quality is
pretty bad. In the only two stories I have read about flights in russia, they had
fuel flown in.
http://www.highton.com/pages/pictsto...ssiastory.html
http://www.aviation-history.com/russia/worldflight.html

I would love to hear other stories of people flying in russia. Another advantage to
that diesel is it is a turbo which means oxygen is my only real altitude
limitation. It sounds like that engine should be able to fly at over 30,000 feet.
However from what I have read recently about flying on oxygen at those altitudes I
think I will limit myself to 20,000 ft, which should be plenty to talk to ATC in
russia.

--
Chris Woodhouse
Oklahoma City

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania