Speed monitored by aircraft????

Old July 17th 03, 10:12 PM
Jim Buckridge

Default Speed monitored by aircraft????

I saw one of these signs along I-78 in NJ. Now, I find it
***REALLY*** hard to believe that this particular sign is true. The
highway is congested and with radar guns and all, monitoring speed by
aircraft (copter maybe?) seems expensive and unnecessary.

I know I've seen these signs elsewhere - are there still places where
speed is monitored by aircraft?
Old July 17th 03, 10:34 PM
Jack

I know for a fact that here in Atlanta, speed is occasionally monitored by
helicopters along the highway. Its pretty obvious though. 50 police
cars on the entrance ramps, and 50 others with cars pulled over. Along
with everyone has they're lights on in that area.

om...

Old July 18th 03, 01:01 AM
Peter Gottlieb

Are you kidding?

Since when has inefficiency ever stopped local, state or federal government
from doing something?

"Toks Desalu" wrote in message
Either way, it is still expensive and unnecessary for taxpayers. There are
far more serious issues than this. If you want to catch speeders off

guard,
go and climb up the tree and fire radar at cars.

Old July 18th 03, 02:11 AM
Bob Noel

In article , "Ron
Natalie" wrote:

hey! one "benefit" to TFRs. :-/

Nope, even the DC gulag waivers the police. The PG County Mouties
NOTAR helicopter
was buzzing around CGS the other day.

figures. :-(

--
Bob Noel
Old July 18th 03, 03:54 AM
Jeff Davis

State Patrol in Iowa uses a Cessna.
Old July 18th 03, 05:09 AM
john smith

Ron Natalie wrote:
Margy and I
also had a nice chat with the Ohio State Police plane (they hang out on 122.75).
They patrol around looking for trouble (accidents, etc... ) on the highway, but
I suspect they'd tag a flagrant speeder given the chance. I think he said he
had the capability.

Our chapter had a flyout years ago, to one of the local $100 hamburger
sites. We were playing follow the leader down low. The last guy in line
happened to look back and there was an Ohio Highway Patrol plane
bringing up the rear. We all thought we were dead meat when the Smokie
followed us into the pattern, landed with us and followed us into the
restaurant. Fortunately, he walked past us without saying a word and sat
at the lunch counter. The only thing we could figure was he was bored
and was on his way to lunch anyway, so he joined in.
Old July 18th 03, 02:32 PM
Tim Bengtson

Larry Dighera wrote:

In California, one could argue that the roadway markers constitute a
speed trap, as the aerial LEOs determine the speed of automobiles by
timing them between those marks.

Section 40802(a)(1): prohibits timing vehicles over a measured
distance, and 40801 makes using such evidence in assisting in a
person's arrest illegal.

The cops have a book called "Words to Use in Court". In this case, the
cop says that he matched the speed of the airplane to the speed of the
car, and then used the marks to confirm his own groundspeed. I am not
making this up.

Tim