Flight Schools in UK?

Old July 21st 03, 03:57 AM
Carl Orton

Default Flight Schools in UK?

I have the opportunity to spend some time in England in the next few weeks,
and will be there for a weekend.

Anyone know of any flight schools in the vicinity of Preston, Huntingdon,
Lincoln, or Salisbury?

Thought I'd occupy my time in a constructive way and see a bit more of the
UK from on high.

Also, is UK dual time loggable (already have PP ASEL, so I'm not building
towards anything)? Just thought it would be neat to have a UK entry... ;-)
I know I can log anything I want, but just wondering if, in the future, it
could be counted towards anything.

Thanks;
Carl

Old July 21st 03, 03:36 PM
Chris Walton

Hey Carl,
I actually live relatively close to Huntingdon, there are a number of
airfields in the area which offer private flying. At the moment I fly from
RAF Wyton and Bourn.
This may help,
http://www.flyer.co.uk/directory/index.php

Chris

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:57:22 -0500, Carl Orton wrote:
Also, is UK dual time loggable (already have PP ASEL, so I'm not building
towards anything)? Just thought it would be neat to have a UK entry...

;-)

If you have your PP-ASEL, it's not only loggable, but it is also PIC time
(where you fill in both 'Dual Received' and 'Pilot in command' columns)
if it's in a plane you're rated for (i.e. any light single).

You also don't need to 'convert' your license to fly in the UK. You can
fly on your FAA PPL with no paperwork. Of course, it's a good idea to sit
down with the instructor and discuss the differences (mainly radio
procedure) and the flying club will want to check you out - this tends
to involve the same sort of things as a check out for a new FBO in
the US will require (a few takeoffs and landings and maybe some air work).
It depends on the club.
See http://dylansmith.net/flyinguk - I did write this about 4 or 5
years ago but the comments are still pretty much valid.

Also note there aren't really FBOs in the UK, just flying clubs. Most
have temporary memberships for visiting pilots.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Old July 23rd 03, 10:23 AM

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:54:42 -0500, "Carl Orton"
wrote:

Thanks, all for the responses. With the links provided, I'll check into my
options.

Not concerned with solo flight or the checkout (since I'll probably only get
one flight in anyway), but thought that with an instructor I could get a
taste of the British airspace while doing some sightseeing and proficiency
work.

Carl

"Carl Orton" wrote in message
I have the opportunity to spend some time in England in the next few

weeks,
and will be there for a weekend.

Anyone know of any flight schools in the vicinity of Preston, Huntingdon,
Lincoln, or Salisbury?

Thought I'd occupy my time in a constructive way and see a bit more of the
UK from on high.

Also, is UK dual time loggable (already have PP ASEL, so I'm not building
towards anything)? Just thought it would be neat to have a UK entry...

;-)
I know I can log anything I want, but just wondering if, in the future, it
could be counted towards anything.

Thanks;
Carl

As somebody already mentioned there's frequently a club membership in
UK so make sure you check the cost!

In places like like US, Canad, New Zealand & Finland you just fly as
you are suggesting (I've done it many times in all these places).
Spain is the only country, I've tried, who wanted club membership
(about £70 for a year and no reduction for temporary!).

Expect much higher costs too, probably double what you are used to.

Hope you enjoy it.

David

Piper Warrior G-BHJO
Scotland, UK

E-mail (Remove Space after pilot): pilot