Emergency Procedures

Old February 18th 04, 04:46 AM
Michael 182

Default Emergency Procedures

Had a combined BFR/IPC today. Since I only fly about 100-125 hours a year,
and most of that is cross country, I make it a habit to hire a CFII every
six months or so for a good workout. Today was 3 hours plus, including the
ground time. I also try and meet new CFII's every other time or so, since
each has some unique perspectives or tricks.

Today, when reviewing emergency procedures he told me about the "7 and 7".
This may be old news to many, but I didn't know it, and I kind of like it.

Engine stops.

Best glide, pick a landing spot, head for it. (If you need a checklist for
these you probably should not be in the plane...)

In a Cessna:
check fuel both (bottom of "7")
mix in(corner of "7")
prop in (across the top of the "7")
throttle in
carb heat
mags on
master on
primer in

No restart...

121.5, 7700 (if time allows)

fuel off
mix out
throttle out
flaps as appropriate
gear down (I have a retract)
mags off
master off
door cracked

As I tried it, it made a lot of sense - my hands naturally fell on the next
item I needed to deal with.

Michael

Old February 18th 04, 05:28 AM
Casey Webster

"Michael 182" wrote in message
Today, when reviewing emergency procedures he told me about the "7 and 7".
This may be old news to many, but I didn't know it, and I kind of like it.

Engine stops.

Best glide, pick a landing spot, head for it. (If you need a checklist for
these you probably should not be in the plane...)

this is what i learned, just not called that. same idea though, moving
across everything you need in a line so you dont need to put much thought on
it and flows naturally. Worked well the one time i've had an engine go
south on me (cessna 150, airport within gliding distance, nothing to see
here).

Old February 18th 04, 06:06 AM
Ditch

this is what i learned, just not called that. same idea though, moving
across everything you need in a line so you dont need to put much thought on
it and flows naturally. Worked well the one time i've had an engine go
south on me (cessna 150, airport within gliding distance, nothing to see
here).

Flow checks...

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old February 18th 04, 07:39 AM
Ben Jackson

In article N6CYb.55341$jk2.232823@attbi_s53,
Michael 182 wrote:
Today, when reviewing emergency procedures he told me about the "7 and 7".
This may be old news to many, but I didn't know it, and I kind of like it.

I'd never heard it called that, but that's the technique my instructor
taught for engine out memory items.

The 'flow' concept works well for everything. When I was flying rental
172s I made my own checklist (with input from lots of others) and
reorganized everything to be in a natural order.

When the checklist (even a memory one, like GUMPS) is not in the order
you do things it becomes very easy to skip a step. I happened to learn
a extra-P's GUMPPPS for fuel _p_ump and _p_rimer, but you really need
the pump on before any tank change, so BGUMPS makes more sense.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old February 18th 04, 12:32 PM
Bushy

****

That's probably the first thing you will say when the fan stops....

Fuel
Undercart
Carby heat
Kiss you arse goodbye

Hope this helps,
Peter

p.s. It is not intended to be rude, just practical!

Old February 20th 04, 01:54 PM
SelwayKid

Dave S wrote in message link.net...
Good catchy name for what the pro's call "Flows"

Dave

Gosh Dave
what a catchy thing to call emergency procedures!! Hell I just did
whatever the book called for and whatever I have learned over 40 years
of utility work around the world. The only thing that was really
flowing in an emergency was usually the adreneline!
How many review their emergency procedures prior to take-off which is
arguably the most hazardous part of any flight.....heavier than you'll
be for any more on this flight (fuel burn), close to the ground and
low on airspeed. And, most likely you won't be expecting any problems
or you wouldn't be taking off - Right? How far does that put you
behind the emergency procedures curve?
For whatever its worth, and I expect some flak, I've had probably 18
actual emergencies in 21,000 hours with one ever resulting in any
bodily injuries. Most were mechanical failures but a few were due to
poor judgement on my part when I ran into something like wires while
crop dusting.
How do you deal with a total electrical failure while 100'agl over
trees? Or how do you deal with an engine failure while at about 75' in
a nose very high attitude and in a 60 degree banked turn? Better have
it figured out well in advance because you haven't got time to do much
more than react as you have trained or thought ahead.
Ol Shy & bashful

Old February 20th 04, 11:06 PM
Kevin Darling

"Michael 182" wrote in message news:N6CYb.55341$jk2.232823@attbi_s53...
No restart...
121.5, 7700 (if time allows)
fuel off
mix out
throttle out
flaps as appropriate
gear down (I have a retract)
mags off
master off
door cracked

We're all taught these common items, but I wonder what others we're
not taught. For example, after reading many accident reports, I have
two more things I'd try to do in an emergency landing:

1) Remove my headphones. Many people who came to an abrupt stop have
mentioned that they survived fine except for their headphones flying
forward off their heads... while nearly ripping their ears off! Plus
some people have died from cord strangulation.

2) Make sure any front seat passenger moves their seat full rearward.
Many accident reports talk about a large CFI or passenger dying from a
yoke thrust... just like in the bad old automobile fixed steering
wheel days.

Any others?
Kev