A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Restoring Expired Registration

Old May 12th 14, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LongJourney
external usenet poster

Default Restoring Expired Registration

I searched the archives of RAS but didn't find anything on this. If an aircraft owner fails to re-register the registration and the FAA shows it expired on their website, what is required to get the registration restored and has anybody had this experience? How painful was it?

I'm not in this situation, but may be looking at a glider with expired registration.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old May 12th 14, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 12, 2014 2:32:25 PM UTC-4, LongJourney wrote:
I searched the archives of RAS but didn't find anything on this. If an aircraft owner fails to re-register the registration and the FAA shows it expired on their website, what is required to get the registration restored and has anybody had this experience? How painful was it?

I'm not in this situation, but may be looking at a glider with expired registration.

Thanks,

Jeff

The FAA website has guidance on this. If it has been out of register long enough, the number may have been reassigned. This make the job more complicated because a new airworthiness certificate will be needed.
UH

Old May 12th 14, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LongJourney
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 12, 2014 2:37:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Thanks,

Jeff

The FAA website has guidance on this. If it has been out of register long enough, the number may have been reassigned. This make the job more complicated because a new airworthiness certificate will be needed.

UH

I was unable to find any information on restoring the registration other than calling the FSDO.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old May 12th 14, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LongJourney
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 12, 2014 2:39:26 PM UTC-5, LongJourney wrote:

Thanks,

Jeff

UH

I was unable to find any information on restoring the registration other than calling the FSDO.

Thanks,

Jeff

Okay, I found it in a pdf file on the FAA website.

SUSPENSION OR REVOCATION OF CERTIFICATE.
Noncompliance with Federal Aviation Regulation 47.51 (which requires submission to the FAA of a triennial report on AC Form (8050-73) may result in revocation or suspension of the registration certificate. After an Order of Revocation has been issued, the last registered owner may reregister the aircraft by submission of a new aircraft registration application and $5. A new owner may
register the aircraft by submission of evidence of ownership,application, and $5.

I would still be interested in any personal experiences, e.g., how ling the process took, how much of a headache, etc.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old May 12th 14, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 12, 2014 4:12:02 PM UTC-4, LongJourney wrote:

Thanks,

Jeff

UH

Thanks,

Jeff

Noncompliance with Federal Aviation Regulation 47.51 (which requires submission to the FAA of a triennial report on AC Form (8050-73) may result in revocation or suspension of the registration certificate. After an Order of Revocation has been issued, the last registered owner may reregister the aircraft by submission of a new aircraft registration application and $5. A new owner may

register the aircraft by submission of evidence of ownership,application, and $5.

I would still be interested in any personal experiences, e.g., how ling the process took, how much of a headache, etc.

Thanks,

Jeff

If no clinkers it will take 3- 4 weeks. The "standard" target turnaround time in OK city is 15 working days.
If clinkers, it can take months, and many turnaround cycles and I do not over state this.
UH
Old May 12th 14, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 12, 2014 3:21:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Thanks,

Jeff

UH

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks,

Jeff

If no clinkers it will take 3- 4 weeks. The "standard" target turnaround time in OK city is 15 working days.

If clinkers, it can take months, and many turnaround cycles and I do not over state this.

UH

The feds have cleared a lot of the backlog. We screwed up when they first did the registration expiration process, and let our Pawnee expire. We were down for close to 6 weeks, but that was a few years ago when we had an extra lousy spring so it didn't suck that bad.

AFAIK if you are buying a plane with an expired registration, as long as the N-number has not been reassigned, just filing the registration and bill of sale should be enough. IIRC in that case you could technically fly on the pink slip.

Peter
Old May 12th 14, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 12, 2014 4:40:31 PM UTC-4, vontresc wrote:

I searched the archives of RAS but didn't find anything on this.. If an aircraft owner fails to re-register the registration and the FAA shows it expired on their website, what is required to get the registration restored and has anybody had this experience? How painful was it?

Thanks,

Jeff

UH

Thanks,

Jeff

Noncompliance with Federal Aviation Regulation 47.51 (which requires submission to the FAA of a triennial report on AC Form (8050-73) may result in revocation or suspension of the registration certificate. After an Order of Revocation has been issued, the last registered owner may reregister the aircraft by submission of a new aircraft registration application and $5.. A new owner may

Thanks,

Jeff

UH

The feds have cleared a lot of the backlog. We screwed up when they first did the registration expiration process, and let our Pawnee expire. We were down for close to 6 weeks, but that was a few years ago when we had an extra lousy spring so it didn't suck that bad.

AFAIK if you are buying a plane with an expired registration, as long as the N-number has not been reassigned, just filing the registration and bill of sale should be enough. IIRC in that case you could technically fly on the pink slip.

Peter

I would expect that you can not fly on a pink slip if existing registration is not in effect.
UH
Old May 13th 14, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LongJourney
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 12, 2014 4:24:36 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, May 12, 2014 4:40:31 PM UTC-4, vontresc wrote:

Thanks,

Jeff

UH

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks,

Jeff

UH

Peter

I would expect that you can not fly on a pink slip if existing registration is not in effect.

UH

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Jeff