Good lubricant for assembly

Old May 29th 18, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Good lubricant for assembly

Postscript: I don't recommend petroleum based lubricants because of the potential problem if they permeate into the composite structure. There is a reason composite layups are done while wearing latex or nitrile gloves (as well as handling Fiberglass, Kevlar or Carbon Fiber cloth). Sure, they keep the goo off your hands, but they also prevent skin oils from contaminating the fibers and epoxy.

I am sure some folks will disagree, but the FRP engineers I know all wear gloves, never handle cloth with bare hands and don't use petroleum based lubricants on any composite structures.
Old May 29th 18, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The reason they wear gloves is the issue is before the epoxy cures, there are no issues once curing has taken place.
I know several expert sailplane repairers who use normal greases, and have never heard of any problems from the repair guys.
Old May 29th 18, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_6_]

I ordered SuperLube through Amazon in Germany. Shipping took a roughly 3 weeks but I think it was worth the wait.
Old May 29th 18, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Saturday, 26 May 2018 16:34:36 UTC+3, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I'm trying to find a good lubricant for assembly, available in Europe. Any ideas? Currently using regular vaseline.

I have never heard anyone having problem with regular vaseline. You need basically something to keep water of the bare metal surfaces. There is no high-friction or high-temp environment in glider use.
Old May 29th 18, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Agreed.
Vaseline is better than dry or old lube.
Cheap and easy to get.
Easy to use.

If assembling for a season, maybe something better.
Keep in mind, very limited movement so lube quality is less of an issue.
Yes, some may say the "wings will fall off" if you use the wrong lube. In this case, not likely.
Old May 29th 18, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 1:03:41 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Agreed.
Vaseline is better than dry or old lube.
Cheap and easy to get.
Easy to use.

If assembling for a season, maybe something better.
Keep in mind, very limited movement so lube quality is less of an issue.
Yes, some may say the "wings will fall off" if you use the wrong lube. In this case, not likely.

I can't agree with the "anything" specification. The main pins do not move, but the lift and drag pins clearly do work in flight, with considerable pressure on them. Any glider a few years old will show signs of wear, galling, or Brinelling on those pins. From this is seems to me that something with some extreme pressure ingredients is desirable.
Old May 30th 18, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Oh, I don't disagree, trust me with my mechanical background.
Dry is among the worst case, crappy lube is better than nothing.

While we strive to be in the "perfect world", Vaseline is way better than nothing.

Not everyone wants to spend "x" dollars on lube, just like some peeps try to do a season with one set of wing tapes to the fuselage.

I am not here to judge, just saying Vaseline is way better than nothing.

I have been chastised when pulling wing tape and balling it up.
I just "wasted" a seasons worth of tape....shame on me......
Thus I use Scotch type 33 white electrical tape. Not a killer on price and easy to get.
Old May 30th 18, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 2:39:59 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 1:03:41 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Agreed.
Vaseline is better than dry or old lube.
Cheap and easy to get.
Easy to use.

If assembling for a season, maybe something better.
Keep in mind, very limited movement so lube quality is less of an issue..
Yes, some may say the "wings will fall off" if you use the wrong lube. In this case, not likely.

I can't agree with the "anything" specification. The main pins do not move, but the lift and drag pins clearly do work in flight, with considerable pressure on them. Any glider a few years old will show signs of wear, galling, or Brinelling on those pins. From this is seems to me that something with some extreme pressure ingredients is desirable.

My observations as well regarding wear. After replacing a set of lift pins I switched away from "Superlube" to a lithium based grease designed for high bearing pressures.

Craig
Old May 30th 18, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My main objection to Vaseline is that it essentially liquefies at a low temperature and just drips away.

I fly in the high desert southwest US, with temps hitting 100 degrees F in the summer. Vaseline has no "sticking power" at these temps. Many lithium lubricants (Lubriplate, etc.) also have the same characteristics.

The synthetic silicone lubes and synthetic lithium products have a wider temperature range, and stick around on really hot days.

Whatever works for you is best, but at least use SOMETHING.