Flying to JFK

Old January 19th 05, 03:44 AM
Aaron Coolidge

PaulaJay1 wrote:
: I would be comming in about April 17 and flying out about May 1. Don't believe
: that flying the Archer makes sense but it might be fun to "fight" the NY
: controllers.

The NY controllers are one of the most reasonable "B" controllers around
in almost every case I can remember. BOS is the biggest annoyance, at least
to VFR folks. I've flown my Cherokee right over the JFK VOR many times,
both ways, IFR and VFR, with never a problem.

: I have found a good commercial flight into/outof LGA. How would it be to fly
: into LGA (in the big iron) and then use ground transportation to JFK. I'm
: guessing 1/2 hr trip between airports???

Perhaps at 4AM. I'd plan at least 1 hour. I'd try to get a "car" service.
The taxi drivers absolutely hate going to the airports because of the taxi
pool. Getting a taxi from one airport to the other is likely to get you
a crash course in Russian swear words.

: I'll probably stay over at one of the
: JFK hotels comming back as the return flight gets in at 8PM on 4/30. Any
: suggestions there?

Not at JFK. I have always stayed at the La Guardia Airport Marriott with
good results. They have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel.
--
Aaron C.
Old January 19th 05, 04:02 AM
Roy Smith

Aaron Coolidge wrote:
: I have found a good commercial flight into/outof LGA. How would it be to
: fly
: into LGA (in the big iron) and then use ground transportation to JFK. I'm
: guessing 1/2 hr trip between airports???

Perhaps at 4AM. I'd plan at least 1 hour. I'd try to get a "car" service.
The taxi drivers absolutely hate going to the airports because of the taxi
pool. Getting a taxi from one airport to the other is likely to get you
a crash course in Russian swear words.

One thing to know about cabs in NYC is they are required to take you
anywhere you want to go within the city limits (plus a few other places,
like Newark Airport). They can't refuse a fare just because they don't
want to go where you're going. If you flag down a cab on the street
somewhere, they may try and blow you off, but at the major airports,
there are taxi dispatchers who enforce the rules.

I figure sometime in the next century or two, they'll actually complete
the job they started and extend the AirTrain to LGA. When that happens,
you'll be able to walk out of the terminal at LGA onto a train, and walk
off the train 20-30 minutes later at the terminal in JFK. No Russian
vocabulary lessons required.
Old January 19th 05, 04:11 AM
Peter R.

Roy Smith ) wrote:

One thing to know about cabs in NYC is they are required to take you
anywhere you want to go within the city limits (plus a few other places,
like Newark Airport). They can't refuse a fare just because they don't
want to go where you're going.

In theory. But in reality:

With two bags in hand during afternoon rush hour, I flag down a cab on
6th Avenue and 49th street.

"La Guardia, please" I says to the driver.

"I don't want to go there," he responds, shaking his head as he zooms
away from the curb.

Sure, I could have noted his ID number, then immediately called the NY
Taxi&Livery department to blow him in, but hey, it was his loss of
income. I caught another cab a minute later and the driver made a
pretty good tip.

--
Peter

Old January 19th 05, 08:24 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

"Peter R." wrote in message
Roy Smith ) wrote:

One thing to know about cabs in NYC is they are required to take you
anywhere you want to go within the city limits (plus a few other places,
like Newark Airport). They can't refuse a fare just because they don't
want to go where you're going.

In theory. But in reality:

I never tell the cab driver where I'm going until I close the door. It's a
little harder for someone to tell you to get out than to shake their head
and drive away.

-cwk.

Old January 19th 05, 08:50 PM
Colin W Kingsbury

"Aaron Coolidge" wrote in message

The NY controllers are one of the most reasonable "B" controllers around
in almost every case I can remember. BOS is the biggest annoyance, at

least
to VFR folks. I've flown my Cherokee right over the JFK VOR many times,
both ways, IFR and VFR, with never a problem.

Agreed that NY Approach is not as scary as people would expect (just very
fast), but what makes you ding Boston? I "grew up" flying out of Bedford
right under the shelf and never had any trouble with them. Clearances
through the Bravo tend to be dependent on which runways are in use at Logan.
They often have 4/22 and 9/27 in use so that shuts off a lot of airspace.
Certainly if you're trying to fly along the coastline you're not going to
get cleared through too often.

Also, the BOS Bravo isn't nearly as much of an inconvenience to navigation
as the EWK-LGA-JFK complex is. Let's say you're flying from BVY on the North
Shore to PYM on the south, more or less striaght over BOS. If you're willing
to stay below 3000' you can stay below the shelf and only go a few miles out
of your way and still have 1000'+ clearance for everything. OTOH, in plenty
of trips there's simply no good way around NY's class B, so there may be
more of an onus on them to clear VFR traffic through.

In any case I've never had a problem with Boston. Bradley on the other hand
has often proven a nuisance to deal with. I don't know if they're
under-staffed or what.

Best,
-cwk.

Old January 21st 05, 05:53 PM

why not fly your archer to cle from your home airport ?
less hassle & less money
jon