A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Avier/V2 Running WinPilot 12 Problem

Old June 19th 13, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Avier/V2 Running WinPilot 12 Problem

I have been running WinPilot fed by a a Borgelt B50 and a Volkslogger for years. I tried to switch over to a Avier/ Vertica. I got the Winpilot 12 version for the Avier from the Winpilot site. Got the Password from Jerry P. I have changed the cable and hooked the 5V power wires correctly and have TX and RX wires hooked up to Com 7 of the Avier. I am powering the Avier correctly and the Avier is getting the GPS data but the program says it is not getting the B50 Vario data. I tried flipping the TX and RX wires to no avail.

The Avier "Settings" are System, External GPS, Programs (GPS Program Port: COM1),Hardware (GPS hardware port: COM7 Baud Rate 4800)

In Winpilot the COM POrt is 7

I know the B50 Vario data is there because when I switch cables and hook up the Ipaq, it works perfectly.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old June 19th 13, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:56:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I have been running WinPilot fed by a a Borgelt B50 and a Volkslogger for years. I tried to switch over to a Avier/ Vertica. I got the Winpilot 12 version for the Avier from the Winpilot site. Got the Password from Jerry P. I have changed the cable and hooked the 5V power wires correctly and have TX and RX wires hooked up to Com 7 of the Avier. I am powering the Avier correctly and the Avier is getting the GPS data but the program says it is not getting the B50 Vario data. I tried flipping the TX and RX wires to no avail.

The Avier "Settings" are System, External GPS, Programs (GPS Program Port: COM1),Hardware (GPS hardware port: COM7 Baud Rate 4800)

I know the B50 Vario data is there because when I switch cables and hook up the Ipaq, it works perfectly.

The Avier has a non-standard RS232 serial port. It uses LVTTL levels, around 3V. If you have fed it standard RS232 signals (+/- 12V allowed I think, but typically 0-12V) there is a good chance it is fried. You need a level shifter such as the one supplied by glidertools. Have you got level shifters in the serial lines?

The Avier can get GPS data from its internal GPS.

I have gotten Avier/Winpilot12 to work (using the glidertools cable) on a 302 and now on my new Butterfly.
Old June 19th 13, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:56:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Old June 19th 13, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:56:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Old June 20th 13, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

I just went through the same exercise. Got very helpful response from Lawrence at Vertica and from Vladimir at Glider Tools.
These are the settings they advised to use;
in the Aviar/Vertica go start-settings-system-external gps-programs set to com4-
hardware set to gps hardware port; set to(none)baud rate set 19200 (or 4800)
In WinPilot PRO (or other software) set to com7 (in my case using a CAI302 set to baud 4800)in menu com ports.
In addition I also received a faulty connector cable from Wings and Wheels and went through a bunch of frustration until through process of elimination I ordered an other cable and than all worked just fine.
6PK

Also in
Old June 21st 13, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:27:58 PM UTC-4, 6PK wrote:

I just went through the same exercise. Got very helpful response from Lawrence at Vertica and from Vladimir at Glider Tools.

in the Aviar/Vertica go start-settings-system-external gps-programs set to com4-

In WinPilot PRO (or other software) set to com7 (in my case using a CAI302 set to baud 4800)in menu com ports.

In addition I also received a faulty connector cable from Wings and Wheels and went through a bunch of frustration until through process of elimination I ordered an other cable and than all worked just fine.

6PK

Also in

I also tried to use WinPilot PRO on the Avier, and eventually gave up because many of the dialog boxes go off-screen or are otherwise inappropriate for the Avier/V2 screen resolution, and Jerry will do nothing to fix the problems - he won't even respond to emails. IMHO You are much better off with a product that actually has some support

TA
Old June 21st 13, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:30:24 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:27:58 PM UTC-4, 6PK wrote:

6PK

Also in

I also tried to use WinPilot PRO on the Avier, and eventually gave up because many of the dialog boxes go off-screen or are otherwise inappropriate for the Avier/V2 screen resolution, and Jerry will do nothing to fix the problems - he won't even respond to emails. IMHO You are much better off with a product that actually has some support

TA

Not sure when you tried this, but it pretty much works now (May 25th release). The only bug I have found is that the McReady setting dialog is muddled (but still useable) when used in portrait mode. Everything else works as well as it does on an iPaq. My only complaint is that the touchscreen on the Avier is quite coarse and insensitive compared to an iPaq.
Old June 21st 13, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

"My only complaint is that the touchscreen on the Avier is quite coarse and insensitive compared to an iPaq."

That is not my experience of the GliderGuider which I think is the same device as the Avier (but not running Winpilot).
Old July 8th 13, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chuck
external usenet poster

I bought the 302 to Avier cable from Wings and wheels. It has a small board in the DB9 Connector Housing that evidently knocks the data line voltage down to 3 volts. Winpilot Pro is now working correctly and I'm not getting the error messages about "no vario data". Haven't flown with it yet.

Old July 8th 13, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 9:34:24 PM UTC-7, Chuck wrote:
I bought the 302 to Avier cable from Wings and wheels. It has a small board in the DB9 Connector Housing that evidently knocks the data line voltage down to 3 volts. Winpilot Pro is now working correctly and I'm not getting the error messages about "no vario data". Haven't flown with it yet.

That is the cable you need. It has a MAX3232 level shifter in it, powered by the 5V supply from the 302 or equivalent. It seems to work ok, here are the problems I have found:

The Avier has VLTTL outputs on the serial port that are put in the high impedance state (tristate) before the serial port is opened by a software driver. If the vario begins driving the lines before this happens, capacitive coupling in the cable on the Avier side of the level shifters causes the Tx line from the Avier to the vario to follow the Rx line from the vario. The level shifter picks this up faithfully and drives full RS232 levels back to the vario. Now it might ignore this as garbage. In the case of the Butterfly vario it usually ignores it but sometimes decides it means something and quits transmitting anything. This took a bit of study with dual trace 'scopes etc. to track down. My solution was to solder a 20K pullup to the Avier Tx line on the board inside the DB9. That's just enough to keep the Tx line in a stable state until the Avier starts actually driving it.

A problem with Winpilot, at least on the Butterfly: the vario multiplexes the PowerFlarm sentences with GPS and vario data, sending them on at 38Kb. When PowerFlarm sentences are enabled through, Winpilot can no longer parse the data and says "no GPS data" until they are disabled again. I don't have any other setup to regress this bug.

Has anyone gotten PowerPlarm to work on Winpilot Pro 12.5 for the Avier?