Emergency Procedures

Old July 15th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mitty

Default Emergency Procedures

I was checking out in a Civil Air Patrol 182T the other day and the
check airman pulled the power on me. No big deal, but then he
demonstrated how the glide improved when the propeller was pulled to
low RPM. No one had ever showed that to me before.

Question is:

In retrospect it seems obvious that there will be less resistance when
the prop is closer to a feathered position. Buy why don't I see this
as part of emergency checklists for airplanes with constant speed
props? What am I missing here?
Old July 15th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
rod

It, does work, but most people don't know it or teach it. The improvement
in glide isn't great, however.

Rod

Old July 15th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Lots of planes include this. The Bonaza I used to teach in gave two
best glide speeds, one for prop forward, one for prop back. My Mooney
also recommends prop back.

Its interesting that he did this in the 182T though. In our wing we
require pilots to be 182 current (annual form 5) before checking out in
the 182T. The 182T checkride is just about the glass cockpit and
autopilot usage.

-Robert, CAP check pilot

Old July 15th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Tim Auckland

It's a technique I was taught during my commercial license training as
a way of adjusting drag when doing the "180-degree power-off precision
landing".

My guess is that it's not included in emergency checklists beacuse
once the engine stops, you loose oil pressure, and the propellor will
go to the fine-pitch position anyway on a single-engine plane.
It's not something you can rely on in an emergency.

Tim.

Old July 15th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Mitty wrote:

Buy why don't I see this
as part of emergency checklists for airplanes with constant speed
props? What am I missing here?

My '73 Bonanza V35 has "pull the prop" (or word to that effect) as part of
the delivered emergency checklist.

--
Peter
Old July 15th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

It works and should be part of a complex check-out. You can
also push the prop back to high rpm and slow down to get
into a short field.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old July 15th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

If the engine is turning, it has oil pressure.

To get maximum glide, a stopped prop has less drag, but most
instructors do not recommend slowing down enough to stop the
prop,on compression.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old July 16th 06, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

"Jim Macklin" wrote:
If the engine is turning, it has oil pressure.

Only if it has oil.

Still, I teach pulling the prop all the way back. It may work, it may not,
but it sure can't hurt.