airport layouts that minimize time-on-runway

Old December 9th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default airport layouts that minimize time-on-runway

Our glider club has good relations with our home airport. The airport
manager is creating a master plan for renovations of runways and
taxiways, and is receptive to ideas that will help create smoother
operations for mixed power and sailplane traffic. One of the key goals
is to minimize the time on runway for sailplane hookups and take-offs.
If you have an example of an airport layout that help in this regard
(perhaps angled taxiways, pull-offs, etc.), please let us know.

--Jay Newell

Old December 9th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

The layout that has worked surprisingly well is the turning takeoff roll.
The tug and glider are staged off to the side of the runway, aligned at
about 30 degrees to the runway centerline. On takeoff they accelerate
normally while executing a rolling turn to align with the runway. High
speed exits used in reverse work well.

It looks a bit scary to the uninitiated, but I've done it with my Nimbus
without any problems at all. The wing runner always runs the inside wing to
help with the turn and to avoid runing so fast.

Bill Daniels

ups.com...

Old December 9th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Jay,

Get a diagram or picture of Logan, UT (KLGU) quick. The south end of
35/17 was great. We had a 45 degree run-off that allowed us to tow out
with the tow plane and most gliders could land and roll in past the
threshold. With the Blanik L-13 I could roll to the tie-down. Most
of the time we would launch 35, land 17 with almost no time on the
runway.

The FAA didn't like it and it is now history after this summer so in
the new diagrams and pictures it will be gone.

Glad your Airport manager is talking to you, ours made the change
without asking us for input.

Old December 9th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

We were able to have a parralle glider runway built.. 300ft centerline to
centerline..
But this was when the whole runway was built. We have done the 30-45 degree
angle off with the gliders and the tow plane pulling onto the pavement for
just the hook up. This allows the tow and other gliders to land on the
pavement while others are"staging". The key is to "draw a line" that the
gliders do not encroach on the paved runway while staging. Jean NV

Go to TSA club's web page and take a look at their runway.. and it is a
glider only runway.
They have a running turn on to line up the staging at mid field.

BT

ups.com...

Old December 9th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Greef

Bill Daniels wrote:
The layout that has worked surprisingly well is the turning takeoff roll.
The tug and glider are staged off to the side of the runway, aligned at
about 30 degrees to the runway centerline. On takeoff they accelerate
normally while executing a rolling turn to align with the runway. High
speed exits used in reverse work well.

It looks a bit scary to the uninitiated, but I've done it with my Nimbus
without any problems at all. The wing runner always runs the inside wing to
help with the turn and to avoid runing so fast.

Bill Daniels

wrote in message
ups.com...

Our glider club has good relations with our home airport. The airport
manager is creating a master plan for renovations of runways and
taxiways, and is receptive to ideas that will help create smoother
operations for mixed power and sailplane traffic. One of the key goals
is to minimize the time on runway for sailplane hookups and take-offs.
If you have an example of an airport layout that help in this regard
(perhaps angled taxiways, pull-offs, etc.), please let us know.

--Jay Newell

We use this for a winch operation too - works extremely well and is safe.

The people and stationary aircraft are off the active runway.
Keeps options available for landing aircraft, and the takeoff is straight forward.
Old December 9th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

wrote:
Our glider club has good relations with our home airport. The airport
manager is creating a master plan for renovations of runways and
taxiways, and is receptive to ideas that will help create smoother
operations for mixed power and sailplane traffic. One of the key goals
is to minimize the time on runway for sailplane hookups and take-offs.
If you have an example of an airport layout that help in this regard
(perhaps angled taxiways, pull-offs, etc.), please let us know.

--Jay Newell

We have several operations with significant, mixed glider and power
traffic in Region II.

The best feature separate (parallel) glider and power runways.
Gliders and tug stage on the glider runway and coordinate takeoffs with
the power runway (visually and with a radio call). Blairstown, NJ
(1N7) is a good example. We can stage a bunch of ships and launch
between power operations. It's wide enough that there is still room
for gliders to land on the grass even with ships staged for takeoff.

Van Sant Airport (9N1) is an interesting example, since it uses two
different schemes. Taking off to the SW, the main runway (25) is
augmented by a glider runway (23). This forms a "Y" shape. Gliders
tow out on 23 then bank 20 degrees right to join the 25 departure.
On landing, gliders use 23. Again, it's important to coordinate
departures with the power traffic. For takeoff to the NE (07), we
use the angled takeoff. Glider and tug stage off the left side of the
runway. The tow then tugs the glider out at a 30 degree angle until
both ships are more or less on the center line, then smoothly
accelerates to takeoff . Similar to the technique described elsewhere.

At both of these very active operations, we seem to average maybe one
power go-around per hour on a busy weekend, and this is usually a
transient who is unfamiliar with the local customs. See the AFD for
diagrams or email directly for more details.

Erik Mann
SSA NJ Governor