Sport Pilot Instructor instruction & checkride questions

Old September 29th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john hawkins

Default Sport Pilot Instructor instruction & checkride questions

I'm attempting to become a sport pilot instructor with the intent of giving
tailwheel checkouts for a guy that owns a Champ.
so far I have taken and passed the knowledge test (FOI and Sport pilot).
I've got a commercial license but no CFI .
The planes owner is CFI but not very active. He has been "instructing" me
but I'm not sure he really knows what is required but it's his plane so I
keep on.

I am flown the plane about 50 hours but until recently never from the rear
seat. How in the hell doe anyone see the airspeed altimeter. all I can see
in the "students" broad back. I can to the stalls, slow flight, steep turns
just fine but TO & Landing. I can do it but I have no idea what the airspeed
or altitude is without asking the "student.". My question is What do I do on
the check ride?

I have read the PTS but still am not sure what the examiner will really
require. I have been working up lesson plans. I started with a web search. I
found some good ones but in different styles. Some are incredible detailed
other read more like a check list of maneuvers to perform. My question is
How detailed should I be and should a consistent format for all lessons
(ground and flight) be followed?

The PTS implies The examiner will review/look at least one lesson plan. for
a maneuver lesson. The only sport maneuver listed is steep turn. Or are slow
flight, TO & Landing plus stalls also maneuver lessons?

My instructor seems to teach by playing "stupid student". Am I supposed to
detect each mistake and comment on it? In my own training a lot of time was
spent with me discovering my own errors. The instructor was mainly saving
the airplane for damage while give me some demonstrations and comments. My
question is Is this what I should be "learning".

Ideas, comments and advice eagerly sought

Old September 29th 07, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Have you asked any of your questions on the Light-Sport Aircraft
group?

Old October 2nd 07, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jeff[_1_]

I am flown the plane about 50 hours but until recently never from the
rear seat. How in the hell doe anyone see the airspeed altimeter. all I
can see in the "students" broad back. I can to the stalls, slow flight,
steep turns just fine but TO & Landing. I can do it but I have no idea
what the airspeed or altitude is without asking the "student.". My
question is What do I do on the check ride?

I started my training in a Champ a couple of years ago. My CFI flew the
first few lessons without being able to see the Airspeed or Altimeter. We
eventually moved both instruments to the outside edge of the panel so that
he could see them. took about 15 minutes by our mechanic.

jf

Old October 2nd 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jeff[_1_]

-clip-

john hawkins wrote
My instructor seems to teach by playing "stupid student". The
instructor was mainly saving the airplane for damage while give me
some demonstrations and comments.

A real STUPID instructor! What are you paying him for?

I had to re-read the OP, but I think he means that his instructor for him to
become a CFI plays the role of "stupid student", meaning he plays the part
of a new student who knows nothing while the OP tries to "instruct" him.
(that may still be what you were replying to, but at first I thought his
Instructor was degrading him as a student...and thought you might have
assumed the same).

---more clippage---

Bob Moore
Flight Instructor, ASEL, IA
ATP B-727, B-707 PanAm (retired)
USN S-2F, P-2V, P-3B

Old October 2nd 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 28, 7:42 pm, "john hawkins" wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you are trying to learn to be a CFI on your own. Being
able to fly is a small part of the CFI checkride.

-Robert

Old October 2nd 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Sep 28, 7:42 pm, "john hawkins" wrote:

Ideas, comments and advice eagerly sought

Sounds like you are trying to learn to be a CFI on your own. Being
able to fly is a small part of the CFI checkride.

Robert is right. It think you need to look for a better instructor. It's
what thing to teach a student and you guy may be real good at that or not.
It is a whole other bucket of bananas to teach a teacher to be a good
teacher.

Old October 2nd 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jeff" wrote

I had to re-read the OP, but I think he means that his instructor for him
to become a CFI plays the role of "stupid student", meaning he plays the
part of a new student who knows nothing while the OP tries to "instruct"
him.

That was my take as well.

I always like telling my students, "I'm from Mars. Now tell me what to do,
with this thing-a-ma-jig."

It gets them thinking and on the path of explaining *everything*, down to
the most basic levels. That kind of exercise is one of the best ways to
discover what they really know, and more importantly, really understand.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 3rd 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john hawkins

Thanks Guys.
I think you have identified the problem, Yes I am teaching myself.

I will spend a LOT more time on learning how to be an instructor by reading
the FAA Holy scrolls, Kershner, Robert Buck, and reviewing my own experence
with being instructed

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ps.com...
snip

Old October 3rd 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Oct 3, 7:29 am, "john hawkins" wrote:
Thanks Guys.
I think you have identified the problem, Yes I am teaching myself.

I will spend a LOT more time on learning how to be an instructor by reading
the FAA Holy scrolls, Kershner, Robert Buck, and reviewing my own experence
with being instructed

Those are good things to read but you really should get an actual
instructor checkride study kit (Jeppeson, ASA, Gleim, etc). There are
specific areas of knowledge you will be expected to have beyond just
good stuff you get from guys like Buck. In addition, your flying
should be with a CFI who knows how to train CFI's. You will not be
heavily graded on your ability to fly the manuevers. The bulk of the
evaluation on the checkride will be your ability to describe what you
are flying and to detect flaws in how the DE is performing maneuvers
(intentionally of course).
As an example, on my checkride the DE performed S turns and was
returning to the reference road before wings level, I was required to
describe what he did wrong (how he incorrectly set up the maneuver).

-Robert, CFII