Carb heat: my new policy. Any comments

Old September 9th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Carb heat: my new policy. Any comments

Lonnie wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
We have a similar thing going on right now in the Warbird community. After
the McKitrick go around torque roll mort in his P51 last year, we have one
very respected member of our community advocating making approaches in the
P51 Mustang using cruise settings on the prop instead of the normal
2700RPM (Meto) setup used by pilots flying approach in this airplane.
His theory is that on a go around, where torque is a huge issue on the
Mustang if power is misused, keeping the prop in cruise won't hurt the
engine if it's over boosted unintentionally and will deny the extremly
high torque moment associated with the application of too much power too
quickly.
He maintains this "safety valve" will help save lives.
I have a great respect for this pilot's opinion.....normally!
As someone involved in the Mustang community as a safety adviser, I find
his "theory" "interesting" to say the leat but I'm against it.
Doing this flies in the face of the normal Dash 1 approved go around setup
for the 51 which is to run the prop up to 2700 and DON'T ham hand the
throttle if needed! It as well inserts a "crutch" for pilots flying this
airplane that should NOT be needed. Proper checkout and proper handling of
the airplane is the right approach to saving lives in the Mustang, NOT
altering the way the airplane is normally flown to give those pilots
flying it a "safety valve".

I see a similarity in the approach to the two issues, the other being the
use of carb heat here.

--
Dudley Henriques

Geeez Dudley, how the hell did you get from dropping carb heat on short
final, to an essay like this in only two posts?

Put the O2 mask back on.

Well hello again Maxie. Never get tired of seeing your deeply incisive,
informative and thoughtful posts. What's the deal with all the name
changes though. Can't seem to make any sense out of why you bother doing
it. Why not just post with the Maxwell moniker. Just wondering??
:-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 9th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 8, 5:53*pm, wrote:

* * * * * * So some sort of weather information is mandatory, and that
would include temp and dewpoint. There's no excuse for being surprised
by carb ice. None at all. Like I tell my students, "You wouldn't dive
into water without making sure there were no hazards in it that might
injure you (hard or sharp pointy things under the surface, predators,
and so on) and that it wasn't one degree above freezing. Why would we
take off into air about which we know nothing?

An awareness of carb ice conditions is one thing; but you are
advocating teaching two different landing techniques as a result. To
me that is too complex for students and unnecessary. Just keep it
simple; use the same approach technique regardless of carb icing
conditions.

-Robert
Old September 9th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lonnie[_3_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

Well hello again Maxie. Never get tired of seeing your deeply incisive,
informative and thoughtful posts.

Well I wish I could say the same about you. But you always have to drift the
thread around until it all about you.

What's the deal with all the name
changes though. Can't seem to make any sense out of why you bother doing
it. Why not just post with the Maxwell moniker. Just wondering??
:-))

--
Dudley Henriques

Only because the name Maxwell was too often forged. Maxwell was not my real
name, so who cares, I'll just take another.

I think thoughts and ideas are more important on the Usenet. But that's just
me.

Old September 9th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Lonnie" @_#~#@.^net wrote in message

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Lonnie" @_#~#@.^net wrote in :

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Lycomings, no problem with your plan at all. Continentals ice a bit
more easily, and on a clear dry day, there won't be a problem either,
though I'd be inclined to leave it on just a bit longer. I'd also get
in the habit of pushing the carb heat in with the throttle if you go
around..

Bertie

Your a dumb ass. What next, practicing emergency landings by turning
off the fuel?

If you don't like an engines throttle response with carb heat on,
turning off the carb heat is NOT the solution.

Didn't say it was, fjukkktard.

Bertie

Liar. Are you so stupid you can't follow a thread one post long.

Hey Okie, crank up that one brain cell and explain how he ever proposed such
a solution to the problem you just pulled out of your a$$?

Pushing in the carb heat with the throttle on a go around is taught by, hmmm
let's see here 1,2,...251...carry the 4, uhm every friggin CFI on the face
of the earth to every 2 hr+ student pilot on the face of the earth (assuming
it was missed in the first hour).

Jeez you are one dumb-as-a-day-old-dog-turd Okie, and only prove over and
over again that you have exactly zip experience when it comes to planes that
don't have a 101 keyboard and a mouse attached as standard equipment. I can
see why you rarely offer anything of a substantive nature in this NG, which
in your case demonstrates rare intelligence because you can't possibly do
as much without stepping on your dork.

Old September 9th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lonnie[_3_]

"Mike" wrote in message
newsAlxk.733$Dj1.673@trnddc02...

[...]

Thanks for confirming that you can't either.

Old September 9th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Lonnie" @_#~#@.^net wrote in message

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

Well hello again Maxie. Never get tired of seeing your deeply incisive,
informative and thoughtful posts.

Well I wish I could say the same about you. But you always have to drift
the thread around until it all about you.

What's the deal with all the name
changes though. Can't seem to make any sense out of why you bother doing
it. Why not just post with the Maxwell moniker. Just wondering??
:-))

--
Dudley Henriques

Only because the name Maxwell was too often forged. Maxwell was not my
real name, so who cares, I'll just take another.

I think thoughts and ideas are more important on the Usenet. But that's
just me.

So in other words, you'd rather be known for your singular rock hard
stupidity rather than your first NG nym, which was a sock puppet to begin
with. Do you really expect your delusional and incoherent ramblings to be
interpreted as anything more than a monument to your stupidity?

Old September 9th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Lonnie" @_#~#@.^net wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Ah yes, the old tried-and-true "I'm rubber, you're glue" line again.

I'm sure you think you're quite the wit for employing that defense and to
give credit where credit is due, you are half right.

Old September 9th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lonnie[_3_]

"Mike" wrote in message
"Lonnie" @_#~#@.^net wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Then address the issue, dumb ass.

Old September 9th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Lonnie wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Well hello again Maxie. Never get tired of seeing your deeply incisive,
informative and thoughtful posts.

Well I wish I could say the same about you. But you always have to drift the
thread around until it all about you.

What's the deal with all the name
changes though. Can't seem to make any sense out of why you bother doing
it. Why not just post with the Maxwell moniker. Just wondering??
:-))

--
Dudley Henriques

Only because the name Maxwell was too often forged. Maxwell was not my real
name, so who cares, I'll just take another.

I think thoughts and ideas are more important on the Usenet. But that's just
me.

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

On thread creep; there are actually two entirely seperate issues in
play with this thread as I see it. One of the issues, and one that has
been addressed by others as well as myself, is the issue of changing or
altering a normal and or published procedure, in this case as the
initial poster put it, "setting up a new SOP".
What I'm dealing with is simply the "changing of normal procedure" issue.
FWIW, I usually draw examples from either past or present personal
experience when posting on these forums. I'm sorry you have chosen to
see this as my "blowing my own horn". I assure you this is not now nor
has it ever been my intention to do that.
It's an unfortunate byproduct of Usenet that there will be those who for
one reason or another, find someone as you appear to have found me.
Sorry you feel this way. I'm fairly certain that under different
circumstances, we might have had useful aviation related information to
share with each other.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 9th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lonnie[_3_]

[...]

Sorry, but that wasn't much help.

Carb Heat [email protected] Rotorcraft 11 April 30th 07 06:34 PM
Carb Heat vlado Piloting 9 January 22nd 07 03:08 PM
Use of Carb Heat John Kirksey Piloting 4 November 30th 04 07:26 PM
Carb heat specs? Rich S. Home Built 2 November 13th 04 04:39 PM
Cherokee Carb Heat. Greg Esres Piloting 15 July 29th 03 02:25 PM