Save your back, air up your tires

Old December 24th 03, 05:45 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Dan Luke wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
One of those battery-powered ones...

What voltage is your airplane? I'm trying to find out if anyone's found
one of these things that can use 28v safely.

I think Jay's talking about one that has its own battery? Recharge it at home?

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 24th 03, 06:52 AM
David Johnson

12 Volt compressors are available anywhere auto or RV parts are
sold, at prices from about $10. The cheapie units tend to be very
noisy, but do the job. One with a built-in gauge is preferable.
I have been using an "Inter" brand compressor for about 20 years.
Great little unit - but I think they are out of business. I put a
long "truck type" chuck on mine that allows me to reach the valve
stems of a 182 with wheel pants (but without the little doors).
It's a pain in the rear, but doable. If it's hard to move the plane
with the tires low, jack it up - one side at a time - then turn the
wheel until the valve stem is accessible Push the tail down for the
nose gear (takes two people).

For those with small 110 Volt compressors, Costco has been selling
1 KW inverters for about $69 lately.
Old December 24th 03, 07:13 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:38:13 GMT, Newps wrote:

Tony Cox wrote:

Little door? Luxury! It takes four men, three boys, two dogs and
a horse to twist the tire on a 182 into position. And THEN you
get to reach up the pant, past the spiders and grease, and IF
you're LUCKY, you can reach the valve stem which of course
won't be QUITE in the right positon so you have to do it all
over again.

That's what you rightly deserve for having wheel pants. You want wheel
pants buy a girlie Cherokee.

Me, when *I* need to work on the wheels, I just set a block of wood in
front of the axle, go to the wingtip, lift up until the wheel is clear of
the ground, and swing the whole plane forward until the axle is above the
block.

Needless to say, I don't have to go through this for just airing them
up....

Ron Wanttaja
Old December 24th 03, 07:22 AM
g n p

I'm posting from Greece my friend, don't think you want my answer!!;-))

"smackey" wrote in message
m...
"g n p" wrote in message

...I now have a small foot pump to top off the
tires permanently in the baggage compartment.

gnp,

Where can I get one, and how much?

Old December 24th 03, 04:33 PM
Newps

G.R. Patterson III wrote:

smackey wrote:

Where can I get one, and how much?

http://www.familydefense.com/foot_pump.htm

Well whaddyer know. A foot pump is part of an overall self defense
package. I bet these loons have fenced compounds in the middle of
nowhere for the Y2K civil strife that will surely......

Old December 24th 03, 05:05 PM
Jay Honeck

I have a 5 gallon air tank that I take out to the airport with me. Bought
it
before I got in the hangar, there was no electric at the tiedowns and they
don't let cars in.

You don't need a car *or* electrical with the portable air pump we've got.
It's basically a big rechargeable battery with an air pump built around it.

We use it a LOT.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 24th 03, 05:07 PM
Jay Honeck

What do you want to do with it in your 28 volt plane?

Uh, air up the tires?

(It's generally a
stand-alone tool.)

??

You said you were looking for one that works with a 28 volt plane. My air
pump is a 12 volt contraption, and is a stand-alone unit. It doesn't matter
what voltage your plane is, when all you want to do is fill up your tires!
:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 24th 03, 05:07 PM
Jay Honeck

I think Jay's talking about one that has its own battery? Recharge it at
home?

Yep. We was talking past each other, methinks! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 24th 03, 05:16 PM
Jay Honeck

Lazy man's question: In which catalogue do I find this? Or what
store (please not Wal-Mart).

This is the exact unit I own, although I bought mine locally. It is GREAT:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G5E1223E6
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA