EFB Hardware

Old July 27th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.products

Default EFB Hardware

I am trying to get an EFB put together with hardware purchased
separately from software. I'm going to try software from FlightPrep and
Jepp. The Jepp software would fit on a tablet PC using only solid state
memory, but FlightPrep is too large for that. On the other hand,
FlightPrep's subscription cost is less than half that of Jepp for CONUS
coverage.

A fair bit of my flying is done unpressurized at high altitudes (up to
FL200), which puts additional demands on the hardware. I recently
purchased a couple of Seagate EE25-series hard drives and successfully
tested one of them for 30mins at FL200, unpressurized. The hard drive
is only rated to 14,500 by Seagate, but worked fine in my test. Whether
the drive will continue to function above Seagate's rated altitude is
obviously an unanswered question. However, given this, I'm going to
purchase a tablet and use the EE25 hard drive with it.

I'm considering the Fujitsu ST5031D right now. Does anyone have
experience with this product? I spoke with customer support at Fujitsu
and they indicated that they have had pilots buying these units.

Also, does anyone have recommentations or comments on any other tablets?