UPDATE -- Headset Noise

Old April 17th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default UPDATE -- Headset Noise

Inspired by the many helpful suggestions of group participants, I
finally went searching for the potential ground loop issue--and I
believe that I found it. The tip terminal of the copilot mic jack was
contacting the airframe from below, creating the loop through the
copilot circuit of the intercom. Unfortunately, this was by far the
least accessible set of jacks in the airplane (Cherokee), but I was able
to get a dental pick up there, hook the terminal, and pull it down away
from the point where it was contacting the airframe. The other
terminals have wire connections and were soldered and covered with heat
shrink, but since the tip terminal wasn't connected, it was missing the
heat-shrink.

The intercom system is now almost completely silent, though I've only
ground-run the airplane to test at this point. There is still a very,
very slight whine that is audible through the system when the headset
volume is at maximum, but it is not obvious and it is now equivalent
between the pilot and copilot positions--the nasty whine that was in the
copilot headset appears to have almost disappeared.

I have no idea whether this will have an effect on the issue of static
in the sidetone when the pilot mic is keyed, but who knows. I'll try to
fly the airplane over the next couple of days to see what happens, but
hopefully this problem is now resolved.

Thanks to all who responded with input on this problem.

JKG
Old April 17th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
... but since the tip terminal wasn't connected, it was missing the
heat-shrink.
JKG

So how does the co-pilot transmit?

Old April 17th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"Michael Ware" wrote:
... but since the tip terminal wasn't connected, it was missing the
heat-shrink.
JKG

So how does the co-pilot transmit?

Only the barrel and ring of the intercom mic jack are live. Ring
connects to the intercom, and barrel to ground. Tip is not connected.
Note that this is different than the aircraft mic jack, where tip is
used to key the mic for transmit.

JKG
Old April 17th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("Jonathan Goodish" wrote)
[snip]
Inspired by the many helpful suggestions of group participants, I finally
went searching for the potential ground loop issue--and I believe that I
found it. The tip terminal of the copilot mic jack was contacting the
airframe from below, creating the loop through the copilot circuit of the
intercom.

I know zip about electronics ...but am still (miraculously) correct 75% of
the time with this type of post.

It's "always" the ground. g

Montblack-wire-goes-where?
"Dance, mailman."

Old April 17th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Good Going, Jonathan!

I feel good that I actually might have provided a clue when I wrote:
"I'm thinking a wiring error, or short which occurs only when headphone
plugs are pushed in, or an internal fault inside the SPA400."

Always very satisfying when you can find a real problem and fix it.

Old April 17th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article .com,
"mikem" wrote:

Good Going, Jonathan!

I feel good that I actually might have provided a clue when I wrote:
"I'm thinking a wiring error, or short which occurs only when headphone
plugs are pushed in, or an internal fault inside the SPA400."

Always very satisfying when you can find a real problem and fix it.

Mike,

Your expertise and insistence (along with others) did motivate me to
look again for the ground loop. It actually didn't have anything to do
with the plug being pushed in, but you wouldn't believe what a freak
event it was--the panel hole sits right under a rear lip on the panel,
and the way the jack was mounted (turned) in the hole caused the tip
terminal to make contact. All of this mess was right above the
electrical bus bars, right behind the cabin heat control cables, and
about halfway up the back side of the panel, so it was nearly impossible
to see. I almost gave up before I decided to give it one last look, and
the light finally hit in the right spot. The dental pick was about the
only thing that I could get up in there to pull the terminal away from
the airframe, because I really, really didn't want to take the jack out
of the panel.

Thanks again to all who responded.

JKG
Old April 18th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 17-Apr-2006, Jonathan Goodish wrote:

The dental pick was about the only thing that I could get up in there to
pull the terminal away from
the airframe, because I really, really didn't want to take the jack out of
the panel.

I know what you mean. Our Arrow has a 4-place intercom system, and the
headphone jacks for all but the pilot went silent a couple of days ago.
Troubleshooting was actually pretty easy -- we could see that the two wires
normally soldered to a lug on the copilot headphone jack had broken off.
One comes from the intercom, the other carries the same audio signal to the
rear seat jacks. Looked like a simple repair, but in the tight confines
behind the panel it was a nightmare to get the wires stripped, twisted
together, and soldered back on.

If I was made czar of airplane panel design, I'd make it in modular sections
that could easily be removed. Wiring between sections would be through
connectors that would allow a "problem" section to be removed and repaired
on a bench.

-Elliott Drucker

Headset Noise Jonathan Goodish Owning 31 April 19th 06 01:18 PM
Bose Aviation-X Headset Update Jose Piloting 5 January 24th 06 08:41 PM
Bose Aviation-X Headset Update Victor J. Osborne, Jr. Piloting 0 January 24th 06 02:23 AM
Lightspeed Headset Update Kevin Kubiak Piloting 24 November 20th 05 01:56 PM
Funny noise update Peter Duniho Piloting 1 July 1st 04 02:58 PM