Military Air Fields

Old July 19th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

Default Military Air Fields

Military airfields are shown on charts just like any other airport,
with no indication that they are prohibited or restricted.

What is the rule with these? Can I just land there as long as I
establish tower contact? Or is the chart depiction present only for
emergency purposes?

Sorry for the (probably) dumb question, but seems like something I
ought to know :-)

Old July 19th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Visitor

Paul kgyy wrote:
Can I just land there as long as I
establish tower contact?

You mean permission?

During some training I did touch and goes at a military field. But would
not have considered doing it myself. I seem to remember the instructor
telling me that was the most we could do, as we would not be allowed to
leave the runway. It was a big runway.

I suppose you could ask.

Old July 19th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

There are some military airfields that allow civil use, but
in general, you need advance permission to land at any
military base. Air Force bases are very strict and since
9/11, the guns are loaded.

Army airfields are , last I heard, by the base commander,
Air Force requires permission from the Pentagon and all
levels below. You need insurance "on file" with the base
and clearance for the people on board.

In an emergency, they will allow you to land, but don't
expect a red carpet. Don't expect to fly out after some
repairs, you may have to take it apart and truck it out.

Shepard AFB does advanced training, but has a runway
available to civilians and special VFR pattern. If civil
operations are allowed, the base should be listed in the AFD
along with contact information.
Wichita Falls, TX
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...=resu lt&cd=1

Call well in advance and get the paperwork completed and on
file.

[PDF] DD Form 2401, Civil Aircraft Landing Permit, August
2004 File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
Permission is requested to use the listed military
airfield(s). It is understood and agreed that: ... to each
landing for final clearance instruc- ...
www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/
infomgt/forms/eforms/dd2401.pdf - Similar pages

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"The Visitor" wrote in
message ...

Old July 19th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Call the tower while still outside the airport traffic area and make
your request.. Whatever the man says, goes... Simple, eh wot...

denny

Old July 19th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Paul kgyy wrote:

What is the rule with these? Can I just land there as long as I
establish tower contact? Or is the chart depiction present only for
emergency purposes?

There is a military airport north of Syracuse, NY, called Wheeler-Sack,
which is an army airfield supporting Fort Drum.

Regarding this airport, the approach and tower will let civvies fly their
PAR approach upon request (I have asked a few times), but the restriction
placed on us by them is that we cannot touch our wheels to their runway.

I assumed that other bases around the US were similarly restrictive
(assuming, of course, that they were not located under restricted
airspace).

--
Peter
Old July 19th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

My experience is similar to that of Peter R. They will approve a PAR for
practice but will not allow you to land. Of course, this does not apply to
joint-use airports.

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old July 19th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

When I was on active duty as the Chief of the Communications Division for
the 13th Coast Guard District, I needed approval from the base CO 24 hours
in advance in order to land at the Port Angeles Air Station to perform an
inspection...and the inspection date had been coordinated with the CO well
in advance.

A similar situation was when I went to McChord AFB to talk with them about
the search-and-rescue teletype net (am I dating myself?).

Barring an emergency, I can't imagine trying to get into an active military
field from a few miles out.

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old July 19th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague

When I worked at NAEC Lakehurst some 20 years ago, I wanted to land my
T-Craft there and at Pax River and NADC Warminster, where I often had
to go. I needed a damm good reason, advance permission, and
$1,000,000 liability insurance... not worth the hassle.

If I didn't have my own plane, I would have joined the base aero
club... they had a T-34 and being based there, it could land at any
military field.

-Dana

On 19 Jul 2006 07:09:56 -0700, "Paul kgyy"
wrote:

Military airfields are shown on charts just like any other airport,
with no indication that they are prohibited or restricted.

What is the rule with these? Can I just land there as long as I
establish tower contact? Or is the chart depiction present only for
emergency purposes?

Sorry for the (probably) dumb question, but seems like something I
ought to know :-)

If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
Do YOU trust a government that won't obey it's OWN LAWS?
Old July 20th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_1_]

You are not permitted to land at a military only airfield without proof of
insurance and a "hold harmless" waiver. Also, you need advanced permission
regarding the exact time you expect to land, as well as the purpose of your
visit. You should also contact the security forces and tell them that you
are landing, as well as the base command post and the airport manager.
Sometimes the communications could be better between these groups.

There will not be any services available, such as gas, computer access, etc,
nor will you probably be allowed to enter any buildings.

Likely, you will not be granted permission unless you have some official
business. If there is live ordinance loaded on the planes on the ramp or the
mission involves nuclear alert, don't even bother to try asking. In some of
these situations the security forces are authorized the use of deadly force
to protect our assets.

I've been trying for a while to fly to our Air Guard ramp (where I am a
member), which is co located on a civilian airport, and so far have not had
much luck. The paperwork and other restrictions make it so restrictive as to
be non viable.

Old July 20th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vincent p. norris

I seem to recall that several years ago, AOPA Pilot carried an article
stating that a military veteran could obtain permission ahead of time
to land at some Air Force and Navy fields, and even stay at the BOQ.

Doesn't anyone else recall that?

vince norris