Good News on Delorme InReach (2 min tracking and altitude vs. Spot w/10 min tracking and no altitude)

Old February 21st 13, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Todd

Default Good News on Delorme InReach (2 min tracking and altitude vs.Spot w/ 10 min tracking and no altitude)

There is still the almost FREE amateur radio APRS solution ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automat...porting_System ). For a one time cost of $220 USD you can get a small self-contained, user configurable APRS transmitter ( http://www.byonics.com/mt-rtg ) and get free tracking for the rest of your life.

Amateur radio licenses no longer require you to know Morse code and the written test is no harder than the FAA written you took for your glider rating.. And some of the theory may actually be helpful next time your are dealing with radio issues in your aircraft.

Sample APRS track http://aprs.fi/N8RNW-6 Note: if you click on the "dots" on the track, you get speed and altitude.

Old February 21st 13, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Good News on Delorme InReach (2 min tracking and altitude vs. Spot w/ 10 min tracking and no alt

Hi Pam,

Yes. Thank you for asking. The units and plans sold in the USA are good for
the USA and Europe. As stated on my DeLorme web page, customers in Canada,
Australia, New Zealand and Indonesia need to buy their plans from the sites
listed. I believe they can still buy the unit from me.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
__________________________

"Pam Howarth" wrote in message

OK if I buy one from Cumulus Soaring, Inc. will it work in the French Alps
or is there a European agent?

Old February 22nd 13, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Have my Delorme up and running and about to head out for a drive to get some data. I will post the link shortly. So far looks like 2 min updates, altitude etc as advertised.

Amazing how SUPERIOR the software, website and integration with social media apps the Delorme is when compared to the AWFUL Spot crap. This is worth every single penny and then some.

Best,

Sean
Old February 22nd 13, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

https://share.delorme.com/SeanFidler

Just did a quick drive to meet friends for dinner. This was a 25 mile drive at highway and surface streets. About a 300 ft altitude change over the drive. You can imagine how impressive this will be during flight.

The link above is a sample of the DeLorme InReach product tracking with 2 min intervals and altitude. Click on any tracking point along the route for altitude and point details. DeLorme has been impressive from the hardware to the website (especially so) to the mobile app. Everything has worked literally flawlessly out of the box. No glitches, puzzles or issues. The quality of the software is stunning, especially when compared with the sub sub rate functionality of Spot website and mobile app. This is how electronic systems must be.

At this point, I am delighted with DeLorme, as I need to be to justify the price.. This does not happen often.

I can't wait to fly with this product in Florida.

Best,

Sean
Old February 22nd 13, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:46:52 AM UTC-8, Sean F (F2) wrote:
I have been battling with the Delorme folks a bit and have won a big, big argument with them that I think will benefit some of you.

The frustration I have had with Spot is its poor website interface, sub standard social app integration and general poor usability. The Spot connect device for example, will not start tracking unless you have cell phone data available when you want to begin tracking. If you do not have data available on your cellphone, no tracking! Additionally, their network offers only position at 10 minute intervals and no altitude.

Delorme offers 2 minute intervals with altitude!!! These improvements will make tracking soaring flights far more interesting and enjoyable for spectators, crews, family and friends. It will also make it obvious if the aircraft/pilot has landed or crashed (and potentially shorted response time to send help or begin a search). With spot for example you have no idea if the pilot is trying to make a low save over that point where traces are stacking up over time or if they are indeed on the ground. With that, I was very excited when I heard about the SSA's work to utilize the Delorme product into a new tracking capability. The 2 minute updates and altitude alone (along with better software on mobile and web) made the switch an easy decision.

The only issue, as you might expect, is the higher cost of the Delorme unit and service. The DeLorme InReach unit is $249 (http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/delorme.htm) vs. $150 for the Spot connect or $99 for the older Spot II. 2 aspects of the DeLorme subscription plan where, initially (yesterday), different. With DeLorme, the 2 minute interval for Aviation is considered a "professional" account. This provides upgraded 2 minute update intervals and altitude but comes at a more expensive rate with potential overage charges (bit based). The plans assume a certain number of flying hours per month (6 to 65) and range from $17 - $62 per month. It looks like, for me, the $40 per month (34 hours) would be sufficient for me.

The second aspect was the real problem. As I called DeLorme yesterday to register my unit and buy the subscription plan, I learned of a business practice which I found revolting. The support person told me that the unit required a special firmware update in order to support the 2 minute transmission schedule (the standard Delorme units use the traditional 10 minute intervals and this is how they come out of the box). The kicker was (wait for it.......) that that firmware upgrade was going to cost me an additional $100. I immediately thought of the complaining my Dad makes about the $99 to $200 per year cost of the Spot subscription plan for his glider. This complaining is not unique in the US soaring community. $40 per month ($480 per year) is alot already, but this "insult to injury" $100 firmware upgrade fee was simply out of bounds. There was little chance that most soaring pilots would pay for this additional capability with a $200+ annual additional cost.

Needless to say I took the support people on and made a distinct argument as to how ridiculous charging private pilots a $100 fee to use their more expensive service after buying their more expensive unit. I was transferred higher and higher up the chain as each person ran out of energy trying to justify the charge. I cited their own website, press releases and literature which claims all the aviation benefits (2 min, altitude, etc) but makes no mention of a more costly rate plan or firmware charge. Soon I was speaking with the head of marketing and he agreed to take my complaint (and mild threats to publicize the business practice and false advertising) to their executive strategy meeting this morning. After several emails to various Delorme executives last night and this morning, I received the email below.. This email clearly acknowledges the stupidity of charging private pilots (glider pilots, etc) $100 to upgrade the product and explains that from this moment forward, DeLorme has changed its policy worldwide.

-----

Hello Sean

Thank you for your reply and interest in the DeLorme inReach.

I received permission to waive the $100 dollar upgrade in your case! Also in discussions with upper management we will waive this upgrade for any individual pilot. Thank you for your feedback!

To setup your account, please fill in the attached form and send it in a reply email with the IMEI number of the device and the plan you would like to choose from the Sell Sheet I sent you.

I would also need your Credit Card information listed below. Please contact our Customer Care department (800.511.2459) and any of my reps. can take this information.

Note: Please do not sent credit card information via email as that is an unsecure method of communication.

Name on Card:

Type:

Number:

Expiration Date:

Security Code: (on back of card)

Billing address on card (if different from attached form)

If you have any questions, please reply to this email.

Regards,

Kurt Ringrose

DeLorme Customer Care Manager

Email-

Phone- 207.846.7112

Fax- 207.847.5112

Many answers can be found at our on-line knowledge base within the link below.

http://support.delorme.com

Latitude 43°48.491' N, Longitude 70°09.844' W

----

I will have the my new DeLorme tracker running at Seniors in Florida in a couple weeks and the CC Clinic the week afterwards. Frank Paynter is also using the unit and is working with the SSA to get this higher level of tracking integrated with the SSA website!

Best,

Sean

F2

Very cool. Just don't turn this trak over to the State Patrol or your auto insurance company. Just sayin..

Thanks for your work with DeLorme

Craig

Old February 22nd 13, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 9:25:10 AM UTC-8, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Sean,

Thank you for getting the $100 firmware fee waived for pilots going forward!

That is great news.

Note: Not all glider pilots will opt for the 1 minute tracking available in

the aviation plan. Even with their standard consumer plans with 10 minute

tracking intervals the units still transmit altitude and airspeed and

heading and have many other advantages over competitive units. But the 1

minute tracking is very exiting. I sincerely feel it could make soaring

contests much more fun for spectators.

There are a few other very nice advantages to the new DeLorme inReach:

*** Friends viewing your shared page can "ping" your location (if enabled)

even if the unit is not in tracking mode. That would be handy in an

emergency. The unit only needs to be turned-on.

*** Having the antenna on top makes it easy to get a good connection with

the unit in a pouch on your parachute strap.

*** Friends viewing your shared page can send you a message (if enabled) -

If your smartphone is on it will alert you to the reception of the message.

* 2-way messages can be sent to any email address or cell phone (text

message)

*** The inReach works great with, or without a smartphone connected to it..

It is easy to put into track mode and send one of 3 pre-defined messages

using the buttons on the front of the unit.

* Better satellite coverage than competitive products - 100% of the world is

covered

* Track points include not only GPS position, but also altitude,

groundspeed, and heading - making it easy for your friends to see whether or

not you are still flying.

* With the optional "Aviation" data plan, the tracking interval can be set

at 1, 1.5, 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 60, 120 or 240 minutes. Using the 1 minute

tracking interval would make flight following at a soaring contest a lot of

fun. It would enhance safety by reducing the search radius in the even the

unit stopped transmitting.

*The tracking interval automatically goes to 4 hours when not moving and

back to the user selected tracking interval if you move more than 100 meters

(328 ft).

* Download free detailed topographical maps to your smartphone (at home) and

navigate using the inReach as your GPS data source when out in the field.

More details about the hardware and plans are available he

http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/delorme.htm

I have put a lot of time into the site. I created spreadsheet tables that

make it easy to figure out how much the data plans will cost. If you find

the site useful - please buy your inReach unit from me.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"Sean F (F2)" wrote in message

[...]

So in sake of deciding how much switching to InReach will actually cost in annual fee (ignoring the initial cost of the unit which diminishes overtime comparing to the total cost of few year of subscription) it seems that for the same annual fee as the Spot service ($150) I can get the aviation subscription and set it to the same interval as spot (10 min) which will provide nearly 20 hours per month of tracking, which should be sufficient for most pilots. Those who fly less may even switch it to higher tracking rate. And if I understand correct, anyone viewing my shared page can ping me anytime for real time position. In addition it will provide altitude (very useful), much better UI and smarphone integration for two way text messaging, all for the same annual cost as Spot! Did I understand this correctly? If so, it is almost a no brainer better deal.

Ramy
Old February 22nd 13, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Ramy,

You got it! :-). DeLorme InReach appears to be night and day better when compared to Spot. I never liked Spot to be honest and suspect that many of you felt the same. It annoyed me how poor and out of date it's website was. The mobile app was poor. As you can see from my sample track, DeLormes website is of very high quality. It runs beautifully on PC, Mac, Android and IOS. I am able to easily access all functions on any device or browser.. The software is well thought out and complete.

Your followers do have the ability (if tracking is forgotten or off) to ping you at any time and see your location, speed and altitude within 1 min typically. They do this simply thru the website tracking page. They can also very easily send you a text message and IF you have the mobile app you can read it (note: having your cell phone on board during contest flight is currently illegal according to the SSA US contest rules :-( )

The costs are negligible for the aviation plans (2 min tracking interval) AND I still want someone to test if the regular plans provide altitude with 10 min updates. I suspect they do provide altitude as well but have not confirmed.

Sean
Old February 22nd 13, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 2/22/2013 9:16 AM, Sean F (F2) wrote:
They can also very easily send you a text message and IF you have the
mobile app you can read it (note: having your cell phone on board
during contest flight is currently illegal according to the SSA US
contest rules:-( )

It's not illegal to carry the phone in the glider. Cheez.

Further, not necessary to have a cell phone to read the text message, as
you can also use an iPad, iPod touch, Android device, or DeLorme PN-60w.

I'm thinking of carrying an iPod Touch anyway, loaded with sectionals
and a flight computer program (to back up my primary computer), and
perhaps as a remote viewer/controller for a video camera mounted on/in
the glider.

email me)
Old February 22nd 13, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Eric,

Isn't it illegal to utilize outside communications while flying an SSA contest? Things such as cell or satellite accessed weather? Communicating with outside parties such as ground crew via cell data networks? By using the non cell phone devices you mention instead of cell enabled devices, as I understand current US SSA rules, you would (remember here in the SSA pilots are assumed guilty until proven innocent :-)) still have the same (SSA ILLEGAL) ability to exchange digital communications with your crew or other outside parties. Or imagine having your position relayed every 2 minutes to other pilots via sneaky crews, etc. Almost as terrible as the myth of Flarm Leeching. :-). FYI you can secure your DeLorme tracking map with a simple password...so this is not a big deal.

We are talking about satellite based communications vs. cell phone or radio based. Wether or not you use a iPod touch or an data/cell enabled iPhone makes very little difference in the application of each system. Both are illegal as I understand the rules. I feel like Johny English with useless instead of effective gadgets (smart phone AH, etc), but illegal gadgets nonetheless.

My point is that the useful, safety aspects of the DeLorme system greatly outweighs the dark side cheating risks. Nevertheless this technology is currently, technically illegal. This should be addressed....soon....

The other obvious upside of quality satellite tracking adoption by US amd Candian pilots would be the marketing enjoyment of following contest and cross country tasks with far better detail! This could be leveraged into a website for tracking events with live chat or commentary. Now cool would that be! I have do doe this for sailing events and it is great fun for all involved.

O jeez! Now the rules committee is probably calling DeLorme and asks them to disable these features. Damn!!!!

:-)