Lancaster Pix...

Old August 5th 09, 01:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_8_]

Default Lancaster Pix...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8042985.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	37125  Click image for larger version

Name:	P8042990.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	37126  Click image for larger version

Name:	P8042991.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	37127  Click image for larger version

Name:	P8042992.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	37128  Click image for larger version

Name:	P8042994.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	37129

Old August 5th 09, 08:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo

Canuck wrote:

Thanks Canuck, some real gems there.

--
Moving things in still pictures

....aided by FastStone's Free And Infinitely Flexible Photographic Fixing

www.FastStone.org
Old August 5th 09, 06:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_8_]

"®i©ardo" wrote in message
Canuck wrote:

Thanks Canuck, some real gems there.

You are welcome! It is an incredible aircraft with an amazing history. There
is a whole significance to this particular aircraft and Andrew Mynarski.
Here is a synopsis:

"Pilot Officer Andrew Mynarski was the mid-upper gunner of a Lancaster
bomber, attacking a target at Cambrai, France, on the night of 12 June 1944.
The aircraft came under fire from an enemy fighter. The pilot ordered the
crew to bail out. In an act of heroism, Mynarski remained onboard the fiery
plane, determined to save his friend.

The son of Polish immigrants, Andrew Mynarski grew up in the North End of
Winnipeg. In 1932 he left school and took a job as a leather cutter to help
support the family. He joined the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1941 and in
January 1943 was posted to England.

Mynarski was serving with 419 "Moose" Squadron when his plane was shot down.
Preparing to jump from the blazing airplane, he saw that the rear gunner,
Pat Brophy, was trapped in his gun turret, struggling to break free.
Immediately, Mynarski turned from the escape hatch and made his way back
through the flames, ignoring his friend's shouts of, "Go back! Save
yourself!" After numerous attempts to release Brophy, Mynarski reluctantly
make his way back to the hatch. His parachute and clothes ablaze, he offered
his friend a final gesture of encouragement: he stood at attention and
saluted. He jumped, but succumbed to his burns soon after landing.

Miraculously, Brophy survived the crash. The plane hit a tree as it crashed
to earth, breaking open the gun turret and throwing him free. He thus lived
to tell of Pilot Officer Andrew Mynarski's bravery. Andrew Mynarski was
awarded the Victoria Cross posthumously for his effort to save another's
life."

I copied/pasted from: http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=14739

There is a brief video there as well as a whole host of interesting
historical information.

ENJOY!

Nick

Old August 5th 09, 07:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo

Canuck wrote:

"®i©ardo" wrote in message
Canuck wrote:

[...]

Incredible stuff, thanks for posting that. Another reminder of the
tremendous debt that we (the UK) owe to Canada.

®i©ardo

--
Moving things in still pictures

Old August 6th 09, 07:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_8_]

"®i©ardo" wrote in message
Canuck wrote:

"®i©ardo" wrote in message
Canuck wrote:

[...]

I'm glad you found it interesting. Take care,

Nick

Old August 6th 09, 11:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo

Canuck wrote:

"®i©ardo" wrote in message
Canuck wrote:

"®i©ardo" wrote in message
Canuck wrote:

[...]

Thanks Nick. and you.

®i©ardo

Old August 8th 09, 05:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Robert Sveinson

"Canuck" wrote in message

"®i©ardo" wrote in message
Canuck wrote:

Thanks Canuck, some real gems there.

You are welcome! It is an incredible aircraft with an amazing history.
There is a whole significance to this particular aircraft and Andrew
Mynarski.

I have to ask your pardon Canuck! For all the times that I
mentioned the Lancaster to you, I didn't get to see it.
And you did!
One up for you! AQnd thanks for the Lancaster shots

Robert

Old August 8th 09, 06:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_8_]

"Robert Sveinson" wrote in message

"Canuck" wrote in message

I have to ask your pardon Canuck! For all the times that I
mentioned the Lancaster to you, I didn't get to see it.
And you did!
One up for you! AQnd thanks for the Lancaster shots

Robert

Hi Robert! Sorry you missed seeing it. It was worth it. I've never seen a
Lancaster up close or in flight so it was a treat. There were a lot of
people out to see the aircraft come in and also at the museum where it was
on static display. I got in and got out quickly. The lineup to go inside the
aircraft was just too long for me and I'm not sure I would have made it up
the ladder anyway! Still, it is probably a once in a lifetime event, so I
dragged my carcass out there. The turnout was quite impressive and I think
it did a lot of good for the museum.

Glad you liked the pix.

Any plans to go to Fargo for the Airshow there at the end of the month?

Take care,

Nick

Old August 9th 09, 03:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Robert Sveinson

"Canuck" wrote in message

Glad you liked the pix.

Any plans to go to Fargo for the Airshow there at the end of the month?

I won't be here sadly!

But I will look forward to your pics!!

Robert

Take care,

Nick

Old August 9th 09, 06:01 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Canuck[_8_]

"Canuck" wrote in message

Glad you liked the pix.

Any plans to go to Fargo for the Airshow there at the end of the month?

I won't be here sadly!

But I will look forward to your pics!!

Robert

Hi Robert! Well.... don't count your chickens.....

I'm not sure whether I'll be able to go. I'd like to go but...... there are
complications. Still, if I do go, I will definitely share my bounty with you
and the folks on here!

Take care,

Nick