ELT Mounting for an ASW20-C

Old January 25th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ELT Mounting for an ASW20-C

I think SWR is the least of one's problems after a crash....

In my ship the ground plane is a metal tab a bit smaller than a
matchbook and the antenna curls around the inside of the baggage
compartment. In either case, I'm just hoping things don't get torn up
too much and the thing works after a crash.

So, I'm not really worried about how well it works, as long as it stays
reasonably intact.

-Tom

Old January 26th 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"5Z" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think SWR is the least of one's problems after a crash....

In my ship the ground plane is a metal tab a bit smaller than a
matchbook and the antenna curls around the inside of the baggage
compartment. In either case, I'm just hoping things don't get torn up
too much and the thing works after a crash.

So, I'm not really worried about how well it works, as long as it stays
reasonably intact.

-Tom

121.5 MHz ELTs don't have so great a track record when it comes to working
properly after a crash. Assuming the thing survives, gets triggered by the
crash G-forces (or manually, pre-impact) and remains attached to its
antenna, the signal still needs to reach an overhead satellite. It's
reasonable to assume that the antenna may not be oriented optimally post
crash, nor may it be ideally situated at least a wavelength away from
conductive material, nor will it always have a nice clear view of the sky.
Getting that signal through won't always be easy.

Since reflected RF energy is wasted, I'd think minimizing SWR is important.
To help insure the signal gets through, why not go for best installation
practicable, given the constraints imposed by the typical modern glider? An
adequate ground plane isn't usually too difficult and may make the
difference.

bumper

C150 Wheel Fairing mounting plates Robert Zrim Owning 17 June 16th 05 07:37 AM
ASW20 liftup panel mod ,do you want one goneill Soaring 2 September 8th 04 09:05 PM
Skymap IIIC Mounting Options NW_PILOT Owning 15 July 8th 04 01:41 PM
ASW20 owners Andrew Henderson Soaring 0 April 10th 04 12:28 PM
ASW20 tail tank mod goneill Soaring 4 February 21st 04 06:16 PM