ANR headset suggestions?

Old March 22nd 04, 04:03 PM
Magnus

Default ANR headset suggestions?

I've been looking around a bit for a good headset, any recomendations.
Is ANR worth it or not? Some people say it's bad because you can't hear
the engines so it takes longer to discover engine problems and makes it
harder to sync the props.

On the other hand, it seems to be a very comfortable feature,
especially if you're up instructing all day long and you can turn the
noice reduction off from what I understand.

Old March 22nd 04, 04:10 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Magnus said:
I've been looking around a bit for a good headset, any recomendations.
Is ANR worth it or not? Some people say it's bad because you can't hear
the engines so it takes longer to discover engine problems and makes it
harder to sync the props.

That's an old wives tale. Thirty years ago people were saying you
shouldn't wear a headset for the same reasons - if you ask those people
who didn't wear a headset back then if they regret the decision, they will
reply "PARDON ME? I CAN'T HEAR YOU."

I can hear the engine just fine - actually you can hear the small
variations even better because they aren't overwhelmed by the huge
"background" noise. And you can hear the radios WAY WAY WAY better.

I have a Headsets Inc conversion of my favourite Dave Clark 13.4s.
They're pretty good, but I'm once again considering maybe getting some
Lightspeed Q30s or something equally high end.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Boromir, with three arrows in your chest, you ARE the Weakest Link, g'bye!"
Old March 22nd 04, 05:14 PM
Blanche

Try as many of the headsets as you can. See which you prefer.
In addition to the ANR effect, you want comfort! Everyone is
different (head size and shape, ear placement, etc) so don't
take anyone's opinion as the way to go.

Many of the mail order shops (and possibly shop where you live)
have 30 day trail periods.

Old March 22nd 04, 05:14 PM
Thomas Borchert

Magnus,

Is ANR worth it or not?

The only usable Richard-Collins-quote I know: "ANR is the greatest
invention with regard to comfort in airplanes since seat cushions." Worth
a lifetime battery supply in gold.

Some people say it's bad because you can't hear
the engines so it takes longer to discover engine problems and makes it
harder to sync the props.

Total BS. Don't discuss downwind turns with those same people, either.

Have a look at the Lightspeeds.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 22nd 04, 05:24 PM
Dale

In article ,
Magnus wrote:

I've been looking around a bit for a good headset, any recomendations.
Is ANR worth it or not? Some people say it's bad because you can't hear
the engines so it takes longer to discover engine problems and makes it
harder to sync the props.

That's not true. You can hear things better with ANR. I surprise the
jumpers I haul when I respond to their conversations in the back of the
206. G

You may be surprised at some of the noises you hear when you start using
an ANR headset...things you hadn't noticed before.

On the other hand, it seems to be a very comfortable feature,
especially if you're up instructing all day long and you can turn the
noice reduction off from what I understand.

There is no reason to turn the ANR off...unless you don't want to hear
whats going on. G

My first ANR set was a David Clark converted with the headsets Inc. kit.
Worked well for a couple years then it started to give me some problems.
I purchased a new DC 10-56(Helicopter type ear cups...slightly deeper)
headset. I'm very satisfied with them. I was flying a B-24 and B-17
for a couple of years. The airplanes were equipped with Bose ANR
headsets. I didn't like the Bose. Noise attenuation was OK, but the
headset itself is cheap and easily broken and it doesn't fit well and
would slip when moving our heads. With the Bose if the ANR should quit
working you might as well not have a headset on. With the DC you still
get good attenuation.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old March 22nd 04, 05:35 PM
Magnus

Just had a look at sportys, the lightspeed 30-3G seem good, high active
noice reduction. I guess my biggest concern now is if they are
comfortable to wear.

My roommates have david clarks with the gel, which make for a nice fit
I think, but these have less noice reduction and cost more too.

Is the lightspeed comfortable?

Old March 22nd 04, 09:23 PM
Anyone

"Magnus" wrote in message
I've been looking around a bit for a good headset, any recomendations.
Is ANR worth it or not? Some people say it's bad because you can't hear
the engines so it takes longer to discover engine problems and makes it
harder to sync the props.

I have DC 13.4 with the headset's inc. converstion. It makes a huge
difference for not a lot of money.

Nonsense about not hearing the engine.

Old March 22nd 04, 09:31 PM
Otis Winslow

I have LightSpeeds and like them. They also have good support. The
best thing to do though is to try several different kinds and see what feels
best on your head.

Old March 22nd 04, 10:08 PM
John Harper

I have the Lightspeed 30s and the DC ANR (whatever they
call it). I bought the LS after a year or so with the DC, and
now the only time the DCs get worn is when there are
4 people in the plane.

That said, if reliability is your big thing, quite a few people (including
me) have had to send the LS back for something or other to
be fixed - their service is excellent and quick, but still it takes
a week or two.

John

Old March 23rd 04, 12:26 AM
David R.

I have the Bose series X headset. Expensive, but worth every penny in my
opinion. I wouldn't buy any other set now.