At the risk of feeding the troll, what IS Skylune's beef?

Old October 26th 05, 11:09 PM
Sylvain

Default At the risk of feeding the troll, what IS Skylune's beef?

Jim Logajan wrote:
The advantage of Google groups ...

another advantage is that you can search the history of these
newsgroups all the way back to 1981...

--Sylvain
Old October 26th 05, 11:18 PM
Andrew Gideon

Sylvain wrote:

Besides,Â*Â*relyingÂ*onÂ*aÂ*webÂ*siteÂ*likeÂ*that *'serialize'Â*newsgroup
posts,Â*Â*whichÂ*mightÂ*beÂ*neat,Â*Â*kindÂ*ofÂ*def eatÂ*theÂ*purposeÂ*of
usenet (which is a decentralized thing),

It's how we recommend people use email. They should get their POP/IMAP
accounts as "close" to their Internet connection as possible. It may take
a message however long it takes to reach their server, but nobody is
waiting for that. But the time from POP/IMAP server to client is while
someone is sitting before the computer and waiting. That's the path to
keep short and fast.

Web-based access has latency while someone waits for the web page. More,
it's centralized and therefore doesn't scale well. Put enough people on
the system, and it bogs down.

USENET consists of many servers on (and, in some cases, off) the Internet.
The load on my USENET server has no impact upon the performance of yours.
I love that feature grin.

That said, a good newsreader will serialize to the extent possible. Of
course, there's little it can do for a message that's not yet reached the
underlying server(s). But my reader will thread messages by the headers.
Messages that I've already read won't appear, but there's a set of "see
parents" links which permit me to view the parent, grandparent, etc.

I think a lot of news readers do this sort of thing.

Still, there's benefit in including text to which one is replying. Even if
the automation tells you the message to which another message is a reply,
including text permits finer grained referencing.

- Andrew

Old October 26th 05, 11:35 PM
Jay Honeck

Wouldn't it be easier to simply use the
talkaboutaviation.com web site?

If you need an internet portal to Usenet (as I do when I'm posting from the
hotel, where I can't use a "real" newsreader), I recommend trying
GoogleGroups.

See:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...ting?lnk=gschg

It's not perfect, but it does keep threads "in line" pretty well.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 27th 05, 01:33 PM
AJ

In my neghborhood, he would be called a crank.

AJ

Old October 27th 05, 02:55 PM
alexy

Jim Logajan wrote:

"Skylune" wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to simply use the
talkaboutaviation.com web site? It doesn't seem to complicated to
follow a thread if you hit Post a reply, as I'm doing now..

Take a look at Google Groups, which is another web-based interface to
Usenet newsgroups. Here's Google's interface URL for this group:

I thought I was witnessing a historic first--a user of Google Groups
that was properly quoting context for his post. But hitting "H" to
view headers shows that I was wrong--you are recommending
consideration of gg, but are not using it!

Still waiting for that first google groups user to quote context. ;-)
Old October 27th 05, 03:42 PM
Jay Honeck

Still waiting for that first google groups user to quote context. ;-)

Although I'm not using it now, all of my posts from the inn are via Google
Groups.

And I *think* I quote context okay...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 27th 05, 04:56 PM
alexy

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Still waiting for that first google groups user to quote context. ;-)

Although I'm not using it now, all of my posts from the inn are via Google
Groups.

And I *think* I quote context okay...

:-)

Well, I grant you the prize--unverified, but I don't ever remember
seeing one of your posts that made me say "why can't this bozo quote
context?" and then look at the headers to find out it is another
google groupie. So I guess I can't paint them all with quite as broad
a brush! ;-)