Flaps on take-off and landing

Old September 14th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Flaps on take-off and landing

Peter Duniho writes:

I lower the flaps for the preflight inspection so that I
can properly inspect the flap mechanisms, but then retract them after engine
start and before taxiing.

Doesn't flap movement require engine power?

IMHO, since you're not actually flying an airplane, I wouldn't worry about
it. Put the flaps down whenever you want.

The idea is to try to approach real life. Additionally, many things
are simulated. If adjusting flaps has a bad effect in real life,
there's a good chance that it has a bad effect in simulation as well.

Old September 14th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

No. But who cares - you're not flying, you're simming.

The whole idea of simulation is to approach real life, whence the
name.

For landing, you don't want to accidentally touch the wrong switch
while in a hurry on the runway (e.g. the gear switch - happens often).
Your primary concern is to get off the runway. After that, stop and
complete the after landing checklist, which includes flaps.

Do aircraft commonly have mechanisms to prevent gear retraction when
the wheels are touching ground, or is it usually up to the pilot not
to do anything unwise?

Your stall speed is reduced by the flaps by maybe 10 or 20 knots. If
the wind is blowing enough for your stall speed to be a factor - don't
fly.

I was under the impression that full flaps is a normal configuration
for landing; is this not true?

Old September 14th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
At what point does one normally set flaps before take-off? I've been
doing it only when aligning with the runway, on the theory that
extending flaps prior to that would just make me more vulnerable to
wind while on the taxiway or at the gate. Similarly, I retract the
flaps completely as soon as I'm completely on the runway for landing,
so that the wind doesn't push me around. Is this the correct way to
do it?

I put in 2 notches of flaps when I hit 60MPH on my take-off roll.

Old September 14th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Some airplanes use electric motors to move the flaps, some
use engine driven hydraulic pumps. Some use hand cranks and
some use a lever.

Most light aircraft use either a mechanical human powered
lever or crank or electric motors that will run on the
battery. Heavier airplanes, over 12,000 pounds often use
hydraulics. Sometimes the hydraulic pumps are electric
powered, but engine driven pumps are common.

Old September 14th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Squat switches of some type are common on all retractable
gear airplanes built since WWII. But they can fail for
several reasons.
Some airplanes have a squat switch on only one gear strut,
later models of the same aircraft often added a second squat
switch. A gentle landing with an over-inflated strut might
not compress the strut enough to activate the switch (open)
or a bump can allow the strut to re-extend.

Most gear up landings are just that, the pilot did not put
the gear down. But gear can be retracted while on the
ground if the airplane has the right combination of
"problems" such as over-inflated struts, shorted squat
switches, hydraulic problems, , etc.

Old September 14th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article ,
Cubdriver usenet AT danford.net wrote:

The first plane with flaps that I flew was a PA-18 Super Cub. When I
reached for the flap lever (it has a name, but I forget), what I got
was a rocket from my instructor in the back seat. "Don't touch
anything till you stop rolling!" Of course the PA-18 is a taildragger
and more sensitive to a pilot's inattention.

I make the same point of my students transitioning to retracts. I make
them pull off the runway and come to a full stop before cleaning up the
airplane. You really don't want to get confused and pull up the gear
instead of the flaps will you're still rolling out on the runway. Makes
for really impressive short-field performance, but requires a lot of power
to taxi to the ramp.

Think it can't happen? It does. I once had a student who owned a C-206
for umpty years and was learning the Bonanza. Flap and gear levers in
opposite positions on the two models. Damn, am I glad the squat switches
worked.
Old September 14th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Thomas Borchert writes:

No. But who cares - you're not flying, you're simming.

The whole idea of simulation is to approach real life, whence the
name.

Do you guys do simulated ramp checks?
Old September 14th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Roy Smith wrote:

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Thomas Borchert writes:

No. But who cares - you're not flying, you're simming.

The whole idea of simulation is to approach real life, whence the
name.

Do you guys do simulated ramp checks?

I have read of many sim pilots actually drinking alcohol while they fly,
too.

--
Peter
Old September 14th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Jim Macklin wrote:
You can also use the flaps to "jump over" a fence or ditch
that you see at the last moment before a forced landing if
they are up for the glide.

Yes and that's one lesson I'll never forget. The instructor had me do a
power-off "short approach" and told me I was *not* allowed to apply
power no matter how bad I thought it was! The pucker factor increased
enormously and I could see the edge of the hill under the runway
looming. Certain that we were going to crash into it, I was begging to
add power. The instructor calmly demonstrated how to use flaps just to
get a few more feet and complete the landing. It was a good lesson but
I think he owes me some new underwear.
Old September 14th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Steve Foley wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
At what point does one normally set flaps before take-off? I've been
doing it only when aligning with the runway, on the theory that
extending flaps prior to that would just make me more vulnerable to
wind while on the taxiway or at the gate. Similarly, I retract the
flaps completely as soon as I'm completely on the runway for landing,
so that the wind doesn't push me around. Is this the correct way to
do it?

I put in 2 notches of flaps when I hit 60MPH on my take-off roll.

Does your POH describe how to use the flaps for short takeoffs, soft
field takeoffs, etc?