Priceless in Afganistan

Old February 20th 04, 10:40 PM
breyfogle

Default Priceless in Afganistan

Priceless in Afghanistan

From Afghanistan Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 9:43 AM

Story of the week;

So we are up in the mountains at about 0100 hrs looking for a bad guy that
we thought was in the area.
Here are ten of us, pitch black, crystal clear night, about 25 degrees. We
know there are bad guys in the area;
a few shots have been fired but no big deal. We decide that we need air
cover and the only thing in the area
is a solo B-1 bomber. He flies around at about 20,000 feet and tells us
there is nothing in the area.
He then asks if we would like a low level show of force. Stupid question.
Of course we tell him yes.

The controller who is attached to the team then is heard talking to the
pilot. Pilot asks if we want it
subsonic or supersonic. Very stupid question. Pilot advises he is twenty
miles out and stand by.
The controller gets us all sitting down in a line and points out the proper
location. You have to picture this.
Pitch black, ten killers sitting down, dead quiet and overlooking this about
30 mile long valley.
All of a sudden, way out (below our level) you see a set of four 200' white
flames coming at us. The controller
says, "Ah-- guys-- you might want to plug your ears". Faster than you can
think a B-1, supersonic, 1000' over our
heads, blasts the sound barrier and it feels like God just hit you in the
head with a hammer". He then stands it
straight up with 4 white trails of flame coming out and disappears.

Cost of gas for that: Probably $50,000
Hearing damage: For certain
Bunch of Taliban thinking twice about shooting at us: Priceless

Old February 21st 04, 02:51 AM
BUFDRVR

Faster than you can
think a B-1, supersonic, 1000' over our
heads

Yeah, our shows of force over there weren't nearly as entertaining. The most
dramatic thing I did was turn day into night by putting out all 196 of our
flares, well actually the EW did it, but damn it, it was my idea

Good on the Bone, proves you don't need to drop weapons to save lives. Although
it makes you feel a Brit in the RAF circa 1921 doing "Air Control" over
Afghanistan...

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 21st 04, 04:26 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message

Yeah, our shows of force over there weren't nearly as entertaining. The
most dramatic thing I did was turn day into night by putting out all 196
of our flares, well actually the EW did it, but damn it, it was my idea

Hmmm....., I would think putting out a great number of flares might have the
effect of turning night into day.

Old February 21st 04, 06:09 AM
Ron

Yeah, our shows of force over there weren't nearly as entertaining. The
most dramatic thing I did was turn day into night by putting out all 196
of our flares, well actually the EW did it, but damn it, it was my idea

Hmmm....., I would think putting out a great number of flares might have the
effect of turning night into day.

But you see, they were black-matter secret Nazi flares from WW2, that we stole
the technology from.

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)

Old February 21st 04, 10:45 AM
Ken Duffey

breyfogle wrote:

Priceless in Afghanistan

Snip..........

The controller says, "Ah-- guys-- you might want to plug your ears". Faster
than you can
think a B-1, supersonic, 1000' over our
heads, blasts the sound barrier and it feels like God just hit you in the
head with a hammer". He then stands it
straight up with 4 white trails of flame coming out and disappears.

I get your point - but can a Bone do 'supersonic' at 1,000 feet ????

Also - I have seen a B-1 do a max rate climb - but 'straight up' ??

A little hyperbole there I think ?

A good tale, nonetheless..........

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Old February 21st 04, 01:54 PM
BUFDRVR

"Day into night"?

LOL...ok, the other way around....

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 21st 04, 01:54 PM
BUFDRVR

Hmmm....., I would think putting out a great number of flares might have the
effect of turning night into day.

Yeah, what you said.....
BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old February 21st 04, 01:56 PM
BUFDRVR

I get your point - but can a Bone do 'supersonic' at 1,000 feet ????

Yes.

Also - I have seen a B-1 do a max rate climb - but 'straight up' ??

60-degrees nose high from the ground will look like "straight up" and even a
BUFF can do that.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"