A couple Questions-Ramp Checks and Experimental Operations

Old October 2nd 03, 03:12 AM
Capt. Doug

RobertR237 wrote in message Sounds like he was just questioning your
judgement as well. In your case
though, poor judgement has often lead to serious accidents.

I admit I am not used to having my judgement questioned, and I'm sure the
same is true for the officer. However, IN MY CASE, I've never had a serious
accident. In fact the only accident I've had in well over a decade was when
I was sitting in stalled traffic on the interstate and was rear-ended. Are
you going to say that was bad judgement on my part?

D.

Old October 2nd 03, 12:02 PM
Barnyard BOb --

RobertR237 wrote in message Sounds like he was just questioning your

judgement as well. In your case
though, poor judgement has often lead to serious accidents.

I admit I am not used to having my judgement questioned, and I'm sure the
same is true for the officer. However, IN MY CASE, I've never had a serious
accident. In fact the only accident I've had in well over a decade was when
I was sitting in stalled traffic on the interstate and was rear-ended. Are
you going to say that was bad judgement on my part?

D.

It's bad judgment on your part to air this case in RAH....
even if you enjoy masochism, wasting time and energy.

Barnyard BOb -- Pot, kettle, black. g
Old October 2nd 03, 03:03 PM
RobertR237

RobertR237 wrote in message Sounds like he was just questioning your

judgement as well. In your case
though, poor judgement has often lead to serious accidents.

I admit I am not used to having my judgement questioned, and I'm sure the
same is true for the officer. However, IN MY CASE, I've never had a serious
accident. In fact the only accident I've had in well over a decade was when
I was sitting in stalled traffic on the interstate and was rear-ended. Are
you going to say that was bad judgement on my part?

D.

Rather or not you have ever HAD a serious accident might only mean that thus
far you have been very lucky. Hell, you have never died yet (like some people)
but you will someday. No, setting stalled in traffic on the interstate and
being rear-ended is not bad judgement on your part. So, does that mean
anything? No, bad judgement on the part of one driver might not cause them to
be involved in an accident but might cause one as a result.

I will give you an example that happened to my daughter. She was traveling
down the service road along the side of the freeway with another car beside
her. The other car suddenly swerved into her lane and my daughter tried to
avoid her and her tire hit the curb and pulled her into the end of a rather
large guardrail. The cars never touched but my daughters car was destroyed as
a result of the collision. The cops gave my daughter a ticket for failure to
maintain control and then told her she should take it to court. She did, and
fortunately for her, the woman who was driving the other car did stop and did
show up in court to admit that she caused the accident. It was a very rare
case of someone actually knowing and caring that THEY had caused an accident,
even though they were not involved in it.

In my thirty years of driving the Houston raceways, I have seen many accidents
result from stupid moves by drivers who were not themselves involved in the
resulting accident. The two most frequent causes are unsignaled and
thoughtless lane changes and people who don't understand that entrance and exit
ramps are for getting upto speed and slowing down, not the main freeway lanes.

That officer, whos judgement you are questioning, has probably seen more
roadway carnage in a couple of years than I have seen in 30 years of driving
the Houston freeways. It doesn't take much of that to realize that poor
judgement is the root cause of most accidents on the roadways as it is in the
air. That officer might just have been more concerned about your safety than
you were.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old October 4th 03, 05:06 AM
Capt. Doug

Barnyard BOb wrote in message It's bad judgment on your part to air this
case in RAH....

Oh yeah, wouldn't want to post off-topic....

even if you enjoy masochism, wasting time and energy.

More entertaining than watching television with the wife....

D. (getting old....but still grinning :-))

Old October 4th 03, 05:06 AM
Capt. Doug

RobertR237 wrote in message That officer, whos judgement you are
questioning, has probably seen more
roadway carnage in a couple of years than I have seen in 30 years of

driving
the Houston freeways. It doesn't take much of that to realize that poor
judgement is the root cause of most accidents on the roadways as it is in

the
air. That officer might just have been more concerned about your safety

than
you were.

Ahh- finally the discourse of a civilized gentleman. I agree with what you
write, mostly. Poor judgement is not the solely confined to the civilian
population. Police officers are not immune from exercising poor judgement.
Just this week, 2 local officers were fired for entering contestants in a
dog-fighting contest and then abandoning the nearly dead dogs along the side
of a road afterwards. Just this month, a local officer was 'not' cleared by
a grand jury for shooting an unarmed suspect. The grand jury stated that his
testimony was significantly different from that of his colleagues. Just this
week, a local officer was fired and charged with crimes for demanding a $500
dollar bribe from an illegal immigrant during a traffic stop.

I can go on, but you get the idea. Most officers exercise good judgement. I
fully support them. I have cooperated and collaborated with many of them.
Some of them are my personal friends and flying buddies. The bad officers
make the job harder and less safe for the good officers. As a concerned
citizen, I am vigilant about helping to identify the officers with judgement
problems.

Then, to get back to bitching, let's talk about the cops who write tickets
for speeding and blasting through yellow lights and failing to use turn
signals. They clock out and then do the same things themselves. Their
defense is that they have had high speed driving training. Shiite! They're
hypocrits!

D.

Old October 4th 03, 09:02 AM
Barnyard BOb --

Then, to get back to bitching, let's talk about the cops who write tickets
for speeding and blasting through yellow lights and failing to use turn
signals. They clock out and then do the same things themselves. Their
defense is that they have had high speed driving training. Shiite!

They're hypocrits!

D.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Close, but this ain't hoarse shüz, dood.

They be... hypocrites. g

Barnyard BOb -- whining/whinning

Old October 4th 03, 12:32 PM
Warren & Nancy

Barnyard BOb -- wrote:

Then, to get back to bitching, let's talk about the cops who write tickets
for speeding and blasting through yellow lights and failing to use turn
signals. They clock out and then do the same things themselves. Their
defense is that they have had high speed driving training. Shiite!

They're hypocrits!

D.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Close, but this ain't hoarse shüz, dood.

They be... hypocrites. g

Barnyard BOb -- whining/whinning

They remind me of dear old Dad. "Do as I say, not as I do?

Warren

Old October 4th 03, 01:35 PM
Barnyard BOb --

Then, to get back to bitching, let's talk about the cops who write tickets
for speeding and blasting through yellow lights and failing to use turn
signals. They clock out and then do the same things themselves. Their
defense is that they have had high speed driving training. Shiite!

They're hypocrits!

D.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Close, but this ain't hoarse shüz, dood.

They be... hypocrites. g

Barnyard BOb -- whining/whinning

They remind me of dear old Dad. "Do as I say, not as I do?

Warren

+++++++++++++++++++++

Cops could drive worse?

When's the last time you saw
a cop getting a ticket?

Howz 'bout the oft times abused....
"professional courtesy" thingy.

Samples...

http://www.domelights.com/discussion...3/000001f1.htm
http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...643930,00.html

Barnyard BOb -- 50 years of fright
Old October 4th 03, 03:19 PM
RobertR237

In article ,
"Capt. Doug" writes:

Then, to get back to bitching, let's talk about the cops who write tickets
for speeding and blasting through yellow lights and failing to use turn
signals. They clock out and then do the same things themselves. Their
defense is that they have had high speed driving training. Shiite! They're
hypocrits!

D.

Yellow lights??? Around here nobody even notices yellow lights and blast
through red lights with a passion. I set at one intersecton and counted the
red-light runners on one instance...there were 12 including a school bus full
of kids which was the last to go through. I saw a 14 wheel fully loaded dump
truck speed-up and run a red light once hitting a small car with three people
inside. They never even knew what hit them.

But yes, the officers do have some judgement problems as well and I have been
witness to many instances myself. No amount of high speed driver training can
make up for the fact that you are on the highway with a lot of drivers who have
NOT had such training.

Old October 4th 03, 04:44 PM
Rich S.

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message

When's the last time you saw
a cop getting a ticket?

Howz 'bout the oft times abused....
"professional courtesy" thingy.

Then, to take this full circle and back to the subject, do FAA inspectors
ramp check off-duty FAA inspectors?

Rich "Badgers? I don' need no steenkin' badgers!" S