Military Records

Old August 20th 04, 06:14 PM
Dale

Default Military Records

I'm trying to research my fathers WWII service. I have his DD214 and
know some things about his service from talking to him.

Someone posted about being able to get the unit "log"/history using the
Freedom of Info Act. Does anyone know how to go about doing that?

Thanks.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old August 20th 04, 10:36 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Dale" wrote in message
I'm trying to research my fathers WWII service. I have his DD214 and
know some things about his service from talking to him.

Someone posted about being able to get the unit "log"/history using the
Freedom of Info Act. Does anyone know how to go about doing that?

Thanks.

You are better off contacting the National Personel Records Center in St
Louis (if he was Army or Army Air Forces); with his 214 and you being his
direct survivor, they should be happy to help you out. My sister and father
just went through this process trying to get my grandfather's pre-WWI
records, but in his case it was a lost cause because those records were
among those lost during the big fire a few decades back.

Their web address is:

http://www.archives.gov/research_roo...e_records.html

Brooks

Old August 20th 04, 11:04 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Dale" wrote in message
I'm trying to research my fathers WWII service. I have his DD214 and
know some things about his service from talking to him.

Someone posted about being able to get the unit "log"/history using the
Freedom of Info Act. Does anyone know how to go about doing that?

Thanks.

You are better off contacting the National Personel Records Center in St
Louis (if he was Army or Army Air Forces); with his 214 and you being his
direct survivor, they should be happy to help you out. My sister and

father
just went through this process trying to get my grandfather's pre-WWI
records, but in his case it was a lost cause because those records were
among those lost during the big fire a few decades back.

oops--that applies to all services, not just Army and AAF!

Brooks

Old August 21st 04, 10:19 AM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:14:04 -0800, Dale wrote:

I'm trying to research my fathers WWII service. I have his DD214 and
know some things about his service from talking to him.

You can request his records from St Louis. See
www.warbirdforum.com/faq.htm#2 for the address etc.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com
Old August 21st 04, 04:33 PM
Dale

In article ,
Cub Driver wrote:

You can request his records from St Louis. See
www.warbirdforum.com/faq.htm#2 for the address etc.

I have done that. What I'm looking for is the daily log of his unit.

Old August 23rd 04, 10:47 AM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 07:33:32 -0800, Dale wrote:

I have done that. What I'm looking for is the daily log of his unit.

You may be able to do this, but be prepared to spend some time in
Washington. The National Archives will give you credentials and some
advice from an archivist.

On the other hand, some records just don't exist. I've recently spent
two months trying to get the guvmint to acknowledge the two years I
spent in the army and four in the reserve. They agree that I was in
the army; what they aren't sure about is the (inactive!) reserve. This
gives me great sympathy of the incumbent president.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com

Bush's Military Records again the Subject of Cort Action WalterM140 Military Aviation 5 July 21st 04 10:24 PM
Baltimore Sun investigation: Abuse goes far beyond the military police GrPrtrd8 Military Aviation 0 May 11th 04 06:05 AM
Showstoppers (long, but interesting questions raised) Anonymous Spamless Military Aviation 0 April 21st 04 05:09 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Updated List of Military Information-Exchange Forums Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 December 29th 03 02:20 AM