Flying to MDW

Old August 31st 04, 01:28 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Default Flying to MDW

I am seeking some advice on flying into MDW (Chicago Midway). I will be
going IFR from Dayton.

I am planning on filing direct (/G) to the CGT VOR, because all STARs and
preferred routings seem to terminate at the CGT VOR with radar vectors
after that.

I am planning on parking at Atlantic Aviation. From Airnav it seems there
is a $15/day parking fee and a $7.50 landing fee, waived for the first
night with fuel purchase.

I have never been to MDW, but I am hoping that it is like any other class C
airport, albeit a bit busier.

Anything else I should know about MDW?

Old August 31st 04, 02:17 AM
Jay Smith

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I am seeking some advice on flying into MDW (Chicago Midway). I will be
going IFR from Dayton.
I am planning on filing direct (/G) to the CGT VOR, because all STARs and
preferred routings seem to terminate at the CGT VOR with radar vectors
after that.
I am planning on parking at Atlantic Aviation. From Airnav it seems there
is a $15/day parking fee and a $7.50 landing fee, waived for the first
night with fuel purchase.
I have never been to MDW, but I am hoping that it is like any other class C
airport, albeit a bit busier.
Anything else I should know about MDW?

Piece of cake!
The trick is to time your arrival and departure between aircarrier pushes.
If you can do that, you can get in and out without delay.
Arrive or depart during a push, and, well, you will be in line for
awhile. They may be able to work you in VFR. Getting out VFR will depend
on what runway is in use and if you can get to it without waiting in line.
Maybe call and ask to talk to the Watch Desk and inquire when these
times are.
I don't know where Atlantic is on the field. You may want to call in
inquire. There is a train route on the east side, I think.
On the north side is Polish ethnic neighborhood. Really good deli
restaurants for meals.

Old August 31st 04, 03:11 AM
SFM

Filing to CGT is the right thing but be flexible and EXPECT RVs when you get
close. ChiApr has been giving EON (Peotone) as the initial fix into Chi for
GA traffic and the will RV you around where they will need you. I often file
back to CGT and have NEVER gotten it. I have gotten EON, JOT, and even RFD.
When I get close I am able to negotiate others headings and routes into the
area, I even canceled IFR and went VFR to avoid some really nasty routing.

Scott

Catch the wave!
www.hamwave.com

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we." - George W. Bush

-------------------------------------
. 158...

Old August 31st 04, 05:20 AM
Brien K. Meehan

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I am seeking some advice on flying into MDW (Chicago Midway). I will

be
going IFR from Dayton.

My advice is don't fly to Chicago until Daley is out of office and
Meigs is repaired.

Old August 31st 04, 01:56 PM
Judah

What does that prove? Daley's goal is to get GA as far away form his city
as he can. When you boycott, you just give him what he wants.

I say anyone who needs to go anywhere near the Chicago Metro Area fly into
Midway, fly a 70 knot approach from way out so that they have to put a
bunch of airliners into holding patterns, and then take a $1.75 Metro ride
out of the city to spend their hardearned money somewhere else...

Either that, or all of us pilots should move to Chicago and vote his ass
out.

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in news:ch0uah
:

Old August 31st 04, 02:31 PM
PaulH

All the FBOs are on the south side of the field; I think they all
provide rides to the train; I used to get excellent service from
Million Air.

It's often easier to get in VFR if weather permits. Call the approach
freq listed in the ATIS from directly south of the field before
entering the Class C and there's a good chance they will clear you
directly into the field with a direct approach to 31L or an
over-the-field loop to one of the NE/SW runways.

The worst part is that you have to stay below 2000' over all those
residential neighborhoods - there is NO safe place for an emergency
landing.
Old August 31st 04, 03:17 PM
Nathan Young

On 31 Aug 2004 00:28:20 GMT, Andrew Sarangan
wrote:

I am seeking some advice on flying into MDW (Chicago Midway). I will be
going IFR from Dayton.

I am planning on filing direct (/G) to the CGT VOR, because all STARs and
preferred routings seem to terminate at the CGT VOR with radar vectors
after that.

I am planning on parking at Atlantic Aviation. From Airnav it seems there
is a $15/day parking fee and a $7.50 landing fee, waived for the first
night with fuel purchase.

I have never been to MDW, but I am hoping that it is like any other class C
airport, albeit a bit busier.

Anything else I should know about MDW?

Take the Orange Line El into the city. Cheap & quick way to get
downtown. http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/rail/rail.html

Old September 1st 04, 05:59 PM
Brien K. Meehan

Judah wrote:
What does that prove? Daley's goal is to get GA as far away form his

city
as he can. When you boycott, you just give him what he wants.

Hmm.

I say anyone who needs to go anywhere near the Chicago Metro Area fly

into
Midway, fly a 70 knot approach from way out so that they have to put

bunch of airliners into holding patterns, and then take a $1.75 Metro

ride
out of the city to spend their hardearned money somewhere else...

Okay, but where? Aurora?

Either that, or all of us pilots should move to Chicago and vote his

ass
out.

That sounds okay, except for the part about moving to Chicago.

Old September 2nd 04, 11:45 PM
David Rind

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I am seeking some advice on flying into MDW (Chicago Midway). I will be
going IFR from Dayton.

I am planning on filing direct (/G) to the CGT VOR, because all STARs and
preferred routings seem to terminate at the CGT VOR with radar vectors
after that.

I am planning on parking at Atlantic Aviation. From Airnav it seems there
is a $15/day parking fee and a $7.50 landing fee, waived for the first
night with fuel purchase.

I have never been to MDW, but I am hoping that it is like any other class C
airport, albeit a bit busier.

Anything else I should know about MDW?

I flew to MDW from BED (Massachusetts) in May. There's probably a thread
you can find on Google when I asked a similar question). I parked at
Atlantic. There were pleasant and helpful.

MDW overall was great to fly in and out of. There was weather around as
I was coming in, so I was IFR as well. They got me right into the line
of landing jets. On the way out, all the jets were taking off on 4R.
They sent me over to 4L, which meant I wasn't sitting behind a jet and
didn't have much in the way of wake turbulence worries. I was VFR on the
way out and they were good about coordinating flight following.

I can't comment on the routing on the inbound route. I was mostly trying
to stay south of the lake and avoid the convective stuff that was going
on around me!

--
David Rind

Old September 7th 04, 06:29 PM
Andrew Sarangan

Since I posted the original question about flying into MDW, let me
summarize how the flight went.

I filed for: direct CGT VOR - direct to MDW. I was cleared as filed.
I never went to CGT. I was vectored to the north and intercepted the
localizer for runway 31C from the north.

Atlantic Aviation is a fantastic FBO. Even our little Cherokee was
treated like a bizjet. Tiedown is only $15/night, one night waived
with fuel purchase. There is a city-imposed landing fee of $7.50. It
is a short distance to the Orange train line that takes you into
downtown (20 minutes).

Departure clearance was Midway Four DP to the EON VOR and then as
filed. Pretty straight forward. The controllers were friendly, even
though it was very busy.