Flying to Canada in a club airplane

Old July 13th 04, 03:38 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Default Flying to Canada in a club airplane

If the pilot is not the owner of the airplane, AOPA's website recommends
carrying a notarized letter from the owner or club authorizing the flight.
Everyone I spoke to has never heard of this requirement. Since a club
member is actually a part owner, is the letter still necessary? I would
appreciate comments on this. Thanks.
Old July 13th 04, 04:02 AM
BTIZ

its a recommendation to show proof that you have permission for the airplane
to be there.

if the airplane is registered to the club.. what proof do the constabularies
have that you are a member of the club?

your name is not on the registration..

BT

. 158...

Old July 13th 04, 04:31 AM
Andrew Sarangan

"BTIZ" wrote in

its a recommendation to show proof that you have permission for the
airplane to be there.

if the airplane is registered to the club.. what proof do the
constabularies have that you are a member of the club?

your name is not on the registration..

BT

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 158...

If the pilot is not the owner of the airplane, AOPA's website
recommends carrying a notarized letter from the owner or club
authorizing the flight. Everyone I spoke to has never heard of this
requirement. Since a club member is actually a part owner, is the
letter still necessary? I would appreciate comments on this. Thanks.

True, but the name of the person signing the letter is not aircraft
registration either.

Old July 13th 04, 04:54 AM
Icebound

[...]

No, but it IS a contact, if they should decide to check or have FAA/FBI
authorities do a check. I can see that such a letter would help you if
there was some reason that authorities suspected (unreasonably) one of the
following:

a. the plane is stolen
b. the plane is being smuggled into Canada
c. the plane is/was being used in illegal activity.

Such a suspicion is probably pretty rare, but in today's paranoid
environment..... who knows.

Old July 13th 04, 08:21 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

If the pilot is not the owner of the airplane, AOPA's website recommends
carrying a notarized letter from the owner or club authorizing the flight.

I took a rental to Canada and I wasn't asked for the note on either end.
I didn't bother to have it notarized though.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old July 13th 04, 12:36 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Andrew Sarangan said:
If the pilot is not the owner of the airplane, AOPA's website recommends
carrying a notarized letter from the owner or club authorizing the flight.
Everyone I spoke to has never heard of this requirement. Since a club
member is actually a part owner, is the letter still necessary? I would
appreciate comments on this. Thanks.

I fly club aircraft into Canada fairly frequently. The customs person has
asked me once or twice who is the owner, and I say it belongs to the
Rochester Flying Club corporation, and I'm a shareholder in the
corporation. They always let it go at that.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Speed is life, altitude is life insurance. No one has ever collided with
Old July 13th 04, 02:14 PM
Bob Chilcoat

I took along a notarized copy of my partnership "membership certificate"
when I took our Archer to Montreal recently. No one asked to see it, but I
felt better that I had it. OTOH, I didn't have an FCC radio license, because
we had never renewed it. No one asked for that, either.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

gers.com...

Old July 14th 04, 01:05 AM
David Reinhart

It's not that big a deal to come up with a letter and keep it in the
aircraft. I follow AOPA's advice on that and suggest you do, too. What's it
going to hurt?

Dave Reinhart

Old July 15th 04, 05:34 AM
Robert M. Gary

person signing the letter is not aircraft
registration either.

I don't have my name anywhere on my aircraft registration either. I've
never been asked any questions in the U.S. or Mexico. I do carry a
letter I wrote giving myself authorization to use my airplane out of
the country just in case, but to date, I've never been asked for it.

-Robert
Old July 15th 04, 05:51 AM
tony roberts

It isn't necessary, provided that you don't mind being turned back.
But it is a low cost, sensible piece of insurance against getting turned
back. So what's to think about? I have to go through lots of hoops
going the other direction - and I just do it. Why risk getting turned
back? These are paranoid times that we live in!

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL