Meigs now enjoyed by all!

Old July 13th 05, 02:30 AM

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Again, what's YOUR evidence that the CPD has a park surplus?

Look at a map. Most of the lakeshore is occupied by parks.

Most? Portions occupy the space between LSD and the lake, and portions
are private residencies and industrial. What's your standard for
adequate public parks, for 3 million people?

JG

OK, buster, let's turn the tables: what do you think should be the
standard for adequate GA airports for a city of 3 million people?

I frankly haven't seen a movement by a large portion of the citizens
for more capacity. MDW's size is 1 square mile and seems to due just
fine.
ORD takes GA, but ya gotta pay the fees. Land is expensive, so there's
a limit for any new fields within city limits. Outside, Lansing, Gary,
DPA, Shaumburg, Palwaukee, and Waukegan serve the region fine.

I guess that those places would be good places for parks, no?

In general, post WW-2 suburbs included ample park space, but IMHO
Waukegan's
lakefront location could be attractive for residential development.

Lakefront
property is expensive, so all those parks must be worth a bundle to
developers, no?

As is central park in NYC, but try selling off and see what happens!

The Mission of the Chi. PD is:
"Come Out & Play!
Discover the pleasures of Chicago Park District treasures! The Chicago
Park District manages over 220 stunning facilities throughout the city
- most can play host to your next event.
For more information about the Chicago Park District's more than 7300
acres of parkland, 552 parks, 33 beaches, nine museums, two world-class
conservatories, 16 historic lagoons, 10 bird and wildlife gardens,
thousands of special events, sports and entertaining programs, please
continue on through the event section."

I've read that the 7300 acres (just over 1 acre per 500 residents)
is considered sub-standard by urban planning
standards. Some sections of the city ranging from 1 to 1.5 square miles
have
no parks at all.

JG

Old July 13th 05, 04:35 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article .com,
wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

And ... the city has no GA-only airports and essentially only one that
handles any amount of GA --- for more than 3 million people! "jgrove"
begrudges Meigs to GA, while Chicago has all those parks.

Old July 13th 05, 05:26 AM
Dave Stadt

wrote in message
oups.com...

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Many CPD parks aren't fit for humans. They are rundown, crime ridden, god
forsaken places which would better serve the community if Walmart were to
build on the property. Several downtown areas are nice but other than that
"dump" is a better description than park.

Old July 13th 05, 08:44 AM
Thomas Borchert

Orval,

And ... the city has no GA-only airports and essentially only one that
handles any amount of GA --- for more than 3 million people! "jgrove"
begrudges Meigs to GA, while Chicago has all those parks.

Do we see the NIMBY syndrome rear its ugly head yet?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 13th 05, 04:44 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Dave Stadt" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Doesn't that description pretty much fit the whole city?

When I was in school at the U of I, we downstaters liked to tell the
Chicagophiles that what Chicago needed was another fire.

Old July 13th 05, 09:49 PM
Dave Stadt

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Dave Stadt" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article

.com,
wrote:

[...]

Actually it is in much better shape than in decades past. daley had to turn
things around in the loop as the rest of the world was passing chicago by
and businesses were leaving by the thousands. Quite a bit of it could burn
to the ground and the loss would be about $12. .

Old July 13th 05, 10:21 PM

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

[...]

Simple real estate economics, land for a GA AP (plus buffer areas) is
non
existant. The Burnham Plan called for additional islands in the lake.
Private
interests could create the landfill and build the AP, with appropriate
user fees.

The city air traveler is well served by the airline industry, with
99.99 percent
showing no interest in piloting. Like air-show announcer and UAL Cap.
Herb Hunter
said, "I only fly planes with kitchens and lavs".

JG

Old July 13th 05, 10:25 PM

Dave Stadt wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Many urban cities have similiar problems, and non-city dwellers should
feel
grateful that cities house some unwanted residents. Walmart would
want the land for free, plus additional subsidies.

JG