ratings

Old July 7th 04, 05:50 AM
mommers

Default ratings

hey,

I'm a student pilot about to go solo and hoping to go GFPT in a few
months.

Ive been reading how to expand you flying options and different ratings
you can get.
I want to really aim to go for a Constant Speed and Retractable Landing
Gear rating.

Question is, how much is it rougly to get one of these ratings and how
many hours do you need and how many hrs training do you need before you
get your rating.

PS: One last thing ive been wondering, If i get my license and go GFPT
in a Cessna 172 for example can i go and fly a Piper Archer or Cherokee
without any training and is it just a matter of reading the operating
books. TO cut to the chase can I go from high wing to low wing without
any training?

Thanks, Matt

--
mommers
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old July 7th 04, 08:57 AM
Peter Duniho

"mommers" wrote in message
I'm a student pilot about to go solo and hoping to go GFPT in a few
months.

Please define "GFPT". It's not something that looks like a common aviation
abbreviation. We can try to guess what you mean, but it'll be better if you
just clarify yourself.

Also, it looks like you're posting from Australia, so I assume that "GFPT"
refers to something specific to Australia. In addition, I don't know the
regulations in Australia, but I do know the regulations in the US. I
suspect they are similar, so I'm going ahead and answering your question as
if you were asking about the US regulations. (Some parts of my answer
don't depend on the regulations anyway, so they are relevant to you
regardless).

Ive been reading how to expand you flying options and different ratings
you can get.
I want to really aim to go for a Constant Speed and Retractable Landing
Gear rating.

You'll learn more about this as you get into the specific regulations during
your training. However, short answer is that there are two *endorsements*
(different from a rating): one for "complex" aircraft; and one for "high
performance" aircraft.

The "complex" endorsement is for airplanes with a constant speed prop,
retractable landing gear, and flaps (all three on one plane). The "high
performance" endorsement is for airplanes with an engine having more than
200 hp.

To receive the endorsement, you simply need to fly with an instructor until
he is satisfied you're competent to receive the endorsement. No written or
oral exam, no practical test.

Question is, how much is it rougly to get one of these ratings and how
many hours do you need and how many hrs training do you need before you
get your rating.

It depends, but generally you ought to be able to complete the necessary
training in five hours, give or take. Cost will simply be the instructor
plus airplane; what that actually is depends on where you get your training,
of course.

In theory, you can jump right into the high performance/complex endorsements
(commonly, you'd wind up training in an airplane that qualifies for both,
and obtain both endorsements at the same time). There's no regulatory
prerequisite. In practice, it's a good idea to get some hours under your
belt before moving up to the higher performance airplanes.

I'd say it'd be a good idea to get at least 25-50 hours in before looking to
get those endorsements, with a decent mix of cross-country/local and
towered/non-towered airports.

PS: One last thing ive been wondering, If i get my license and go GFPT
in a Cessna 172 for example can i go and fly a Piper Archer or Cherokee
without any training and is it just a matter of reading the operating
books. TO cut to the chase can I go from high wing to low wing without
any training?

Legally, yes. Practically speaking, you ought to at least get a checkout
with an instructor familiar in the type of airplane you indeed to move over
to. In addition, if you're renting, the FBO will generally have some
minimum time and training requirements for you to meet, often based on their
insurance policy.

Pete

Old July 7th 04, 03:13 PM
Andrew Sarangan

GFPT = general flying progress test. It is like an enhanced solo
endorsement. It allows you to carry passengers within the training area.

"Peter Duniho" wrote in
:

Old July 8th 04, 11:06 AM
Paul Sengupta

"mommers" wrote in message
I want to really aim to go for a Constant Speed and Retractable Landing
Gear rating.

Question is, how much is it rougly to get one of these ratings and how
many hours do you need and how many hrs training do you need before you
get your rating.

I'm in the UK. For me it was just an hour's flight with an instructor and
he signed me off for CS prop and RG. I believe RG requires a sign off
here in the UK, but not CS prop...at least it didn't used to, it probably
does now under the JARs...I guess I'd have been "grandfathered" when
they came in.

There's no "high performance" endorsement here as there is in the US.

Paul