Ear Protection for Dogs

Old December 20th 03, 03:17 AM
Jeff

Did you find out what caused him to go deaf?
(or have an idea)

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

Jeff wrote:

I have never heard of hearing protection for dogs, mine probably wouldnt tolerate
it anyways, but our french bulldogs fly with us all the time, no problems as of
yet.

My Scottie never flew at all. He was deaf as a post by the time he was
12.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually
said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."

Old December 20th 03, 03:20 AM
Shirley

Blanche bcohen wrote:

I would strongly recommend crating the dog
during flight or if that's not feasible, a harness
connected to the seatbelt in the back seat so
that the dog cannot change the W&B nor surprise
the pilot.

Yes, definitely crated ... she only weighs 13.5 lbs, but she's a JRT ... no
doubt she'd take over the controls and be doing aerobatics if she had her way!

--Shirley

Old December 20th 03, 08:17 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jeff wrote:

Did you find out what caused him to go deaf?
(or have an idea)

The vet thought that some foreign particle got into the ear and caused the
eardrum
to become infected in one ear. Whatever the cause, it partially rotted away, and
rest of the drum hardened to the point that it was non-functional. Loss of
hearing
in the other ear was probably just age.

He actually never got completely deaf. He could hear you if you were within
about
30' and yelled loud enough.

Old December 21st 03, 12:25 AM
K9 Lover

Cotton wool works well, but you've got to use LOTS of it. You'll also get
better results if you compress it tightly (use the blunt end of a pencil).

Sometimes the little fellas try to get it out - in such cases it helps to
have a roll (or 2) of high-grade adhesive tape handy.

Hope this helps.

"Shirley" wrote in message
Does anyone know where to purchase ear protection for dogs being taken in
single-engine airplanes? It supposedly exists, but I haven't been able to
locate it. Would appreciate any/all help.

--Shirley

Twin nose protection Jim Burns Owning 5 January 4th 05 07:18 PM
Soverignty Protection Fighter Charles Talleyrand Military Aviation 11 July 19th 04 11:56 PM
Leading edge protection search Tim Hickey Home Built 0 June 28th 04 02:45 AM
How much protection on approach? Michael Instrument Flight Rules 20 January 15th 04 05:58 PM
Ear Protection for Dogs Shirley General Aviation 1 December 19th 03 10:12 PM