Alexis Park Inn

Old January 12th 05, 07:54 PM
Jay Honeck

Even without Dighera's unsolicited expert advice, I'm sure Jay has found a
happy medium somewhere between "restrictive" and "profitable" that suits
him, his customers and his bank account just fine.

Now, if only they would suit Mary!

:-)

(She's now entering her third year of un-paid 50+ hour weeks...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 12th 05, 07:56 PM
jim rosinski

Jim Fisher wrote:

Even without Dighera's unsolicited expert advice, [...]

Since when does advice offered in any usenet forum need to be
"solicited"? And from my reading of his post, all he did was ask a
couple of questions.

Jim Rosinski

Old January 12th 05, 08:03 PM
jsmith

Every business book I have read says you are supposed to pay yourself, regardless.
But then, those were companies that were going public and the founders
were trying to obtain delayed compensation.

Old January 12th 05, 09:02 PM

In that case I supposed a more restrictive policy might be needed
but 3 days still seems excessive.

Not at all. If it were a cheap hotel, then maybe. Not for something
specialty.
A 72 hour cancellation policy is common among fancier hotels. Also, I
run across it all the time when booking international hotels.
Just google something like "hotel 72 hour cancellation" and you'll see
that it's not at all uncommon.

Old January 12th 05, 10:14 PM
Jim Fisher

"jim rosinski" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jim Fisher wrote:

Even without Dighera's unsolicited expert advice, [...]

Since when does advice offered in any usenet forum need to be
"solicited"?

I made that rule a few hours ago. You are obviously one of the few little
people who missed it.

--
Jim Fisher
Usenet Moderator

Old January 12th 05, 10:43 PM
Jay Honeck

Every business book I have read says you are supposed to pay yourself,
regardless.
But then, those were companies that were going public and the founders
were trying to obtain delayed compensation.

Oh, she gets paid once in while... ;-)

See http://alexisparkinn.com/2000_mustang_convertible.htm
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 13th 05, 01:17 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Even without Dighera's unsolicited expert advice, I'm sure Jay has found

happy medium somewhere between "restrictive" and "profitable" that suits
him, his customers and his bank account just fine.

Now, if only they would suit Mary!

:-)

(She's now entering her third year of un-paid 50+ hour weeks...)

Good Lord!! Haven't you heard of the 13th Amendment, man?

Oh, well...my wife is in the sixth year of her servitude, and my son his
second. :~)

--
Matt
---------------------

Old January 13th 05, 12:04 PM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:24:54 GMT, John Theune
wrote:

I'm not questioning your have a cancellation policy, I'm just curious as
to the 72 hour rule. Normal hotel policy is something on the order of
4pm local.

The point of the WSJ story is that that this policy is on the way out,
now that hotels are fuller. Many hotels have switched to 24 hour
cancelation, a few to 48 hours. I suspect Jay got into the article
because he's the only one with a 72 hour policy.

I envision one of the 48 hour hotels getting defensive when the
reporter called and saying: "Hey, I'm being generous! You want a tough
policy, talk to Jay at Alexis Park Inn!"

After all, how would it happen that a reporter in NYC would hit upon
the Alexis Park Inn, as well known as it may be to our little
community?

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
Old January 13th 05, 12:06 PM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:53:27 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

But we're actually toying with
the idea of making football weekends PRE-PAID, with NO cancellation possible
at all.

I don't see why not. Lots of us buy deeply discounted hotel rooms on
the hotel websites, on the understanding that the fee is entirely
non-refundable. If I am going to travel on a non-refundable airline
ticket, I don't see why I shouldn't risk the hotel fee as well.

Old January 13th 05, 12:12 PM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:07:21 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

I don't subscribe to the WSJ -- is there an on-line version of the article?
What did they say about us?

Don't get too excited, but yes, it's there, issue of Jan 11:

Travel Watch
Canceling Hotel Reservations

By AVERY JOHNSON
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Some hotels are making it tougher to cancel a booking.

As business travelers hit the road again, many hotels are requiring
guests to cancel 24 hours before arrival, while others are extending
the cancellation window to as long as 72 hours, in an attempt to make
more money on the newly profitable rooms. It's a significant change:
In recent years, most hotels -- especially business properties --
would let people cancel up until 6 p.m. the day of arrival.

The Swissotel Chicago put in a 72-hour policy this fall. The hotel
used to require 24-hour notice. And when new owners took over the
Alexis Park Inn & Suites in Iowa City more than two years ago, they
put in a 72-hour policy.

In New York, where the lodging recovery has been perhaps strongest,
many hotels now have 24-hour windows, and some have longer
requirements. The City Club Hotel, a luxury boutique hotel, shifted
its policy to 48 hours from 24 hours in early 2004.