Aeronautical Engineering Help needed

Old December 26th 03, 12:08 AM
Larry Smith

"Larry Smith" wrote in message
[Urbie flushed] larsen-tools" wrote:

"schlump" ??? I though the word was "schlub" (kind of a dumb slob who

can't
get out of his own way) .... does anyone here really know?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[flushed again]

Which reminds me. Back in my days of naive and imperturbable enthusiasm I
used to pester Len Niemi, an aeronautical engineer, with all kinds of
questions about how to do this and that to an airplane to clean it up,
reduce the flat plate drag, make it go at just under the speed of sound on
85 HP, and reduce the stall speed to 10 knots. I can see his wry grin
right now.* He would always say in response to my proposal to add slots or
slats or gap seals or wheelpants, "Oh yeah, that will make it go .0017 miles
per hour faster."

*He's dead now and was one in a million. Shortly after he complained to
some of us that he had lost his ability to innovate, he came down with brain
cancer and shortly died. What a treasure of knowledge that man was!
Would we had somebody posting in RAH who could give good advice, rather than
the locker room skunks like BYB. So I beg pardon of Marc LeFebvre, who did
ask a legitimate question. Marc, Mike Arnold's tapes are the best source I
know for tweaking an airplane (a plastic one especially) for speed and
efficiency, and Arnold has a bibliography of all the great aerodynamicists
he consulted. Bon Voyage.
***********************

"Successfully pass a course in statistical analysis and you may
begin to see the light. The odds of your one shot conversion
performing remotely close to time proven aircraft engines is
slim to none unless you have a few hundred thousand dollars
laying around and some bright engineers willing to baby sit
your R&D until the worst of the bugs are ironed out."
---BYB, who fancies himself an authority at English, skunking up the English
language.

Old December 26th 03, 05:13 AM
John Stricker

Once again I'm reminded why I don't bother to post here much anymore. Since
you gave no indication of ever having met, corresponded, or owning a set of
Cozy plans (like I have) there was no way of detecting your version of
sarcasm. It came off as simply being another one of your brainless
comments.

Oh, and on the Techumseh, I was wrong, it has an oil pump. I was right,
however, that canting it in the direction talked about by the questioner
would still allow the oil to sit in the cylinder and remove the oil from
being a useful item unless grossly overfilled.

But thanks for being predictable anyway.

How long did it take you to find my mistake? I found it the next day, but
since it didn't change the opinion I gave on the mounting angle being a bad
thing, I never thought about it again.

John Stricker

"Larry Smith" wrote in message

I was being sarcastic, and you're a literal-minded schlump. Merry
Christmas, however, and happy new year to you and a hope you resolve to
learn more about Tecumseh engines.

Old December 26th 03, 09:13 AM
pacplyer

RR Urban
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Forget whatever it is...
Doesn't matter.

Larry makes up **** as he goes and
is his own ultimate authority....
Or have you not noticed how
much of a 'one man band' he is?

Barnyard BOb --

Used to see airport bums just like him, sitting around holding down
the FBO couch, speculating about everything, dreaming about flying
while the real prime-time lawyers rolled around in their brand new
barrons and late-model P-210's. All those guys though, took a heavy
toll on the local fleet. Why is it doctors and lawyers can't fly? ;-)

pacplyer

if butheads could fly, this place would be an airport!
Old December 26th 03, 11:43 AM
Larry Smith

"John Stricker" wrote in message
Once again I'm reminded why I don't bother to post here much anymore.

Admit you took a poke and got poked back, Stickler. And then you sent your
illiterate toadie BYB in to throw poo.

Old December 26th 03, 12:19 PM
Larry Smith

"pacplyer" wrote in message
om...
RR Urban
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Forget whatever it is...
Doesn't matter.

Larry makes up **** as he goes and
is his own ultimate authority....
Or have you not noticed how
much of a 'one man band' he is?

Barnyard BOb --

Used to see airport bums just like him, sitting around holding down
the FBO couch, speculating about everything, dreaming about flying
while the real prime-time lawyers rolled around in their brand new
barrons and late-model P-210's. All those guys though, took a heavy
toll on the local fleet. Why is it doctors and lawyers can't fly? ;-)

pacplyer

Hey, Packie, I never was one of those Baron-typecast lawyers and haven't
practiced in years. Yesterday I took the Taylorcraft out in the wind and
stalled it and put it into incipient spins, buzzed the hawks, boiled the
water out of the oil, chased the deer out of the bushes, tried out the new
sod runway thrice, and flew about the sunny blue skies in utter ecstasy.
Except for that raging Taylorcraft, the airport was silent.

Later on I did get the pleasure of hand-propping an IO-360 Lycoming.

On the otherwise abandoned ramp full of airplanes, a couple were having
trouble getting their Musketeer started. The starter would turn but not
engage. The backseat of the aircraft was covered with colorful packages
with ribbons, so I asked where they were headed. Going to Tampa to see the
grandkids, somebody said. I didn't particularly want to but I handpropped
the thing.

Two days ago two of us took up the 172 we had spent months restoring and
began the process of getting the rings to seat in the chromed cylinders.
When I reach the airport in my car and open the door I hit the ground
running. This airport is a center of bustling activity. It is blessed
with at least four active shops, shared tools, good will, excellent
camaraderie, and a gaggle of A&P's. Plus a large fleet of airplanes,
including homebuilts.

In a couple of weeks the FBO manager and I are putting on a chili cookoff.
A midwinter's thaw, we call it. We are renowned cooks. You can come and
see what cockeyed opinions you have. I'll put an extra habanero pepper in
your chili. Don't come surly. We're a happy bunch.

Are you building an airplane?

Old December 26th 03, 03:49 PM
Morgans

"John Stricker" wrote in message
Once again I'm reminded why I don't bother to post here much anymore.

John Stricker

When I first started posting here several years ago, I never even thought
about blocking senders. Today, I have found blocking a "few" people
improves the signal to noise ratio, enough, that it makes things tolerable
once again.

As a famous commercial once said, "try it, you'll like it". :-)
--
Jim in NC

Old December 26th 03, 10:35 PM
John Stricker

shakes head, walks away

There are about 10 people I miss from here dating back long before you ever
heard of rah. Good thing the telephone and private emails still work.

John Stricker

Old December 27th 03, 12:50 AM
Larry Smith

"John Stricker" wrote in message
shakes head, walks away

There are about 10 people I miss from here dating back long before you

ever
heard of rah.

In other words if you don't have seniority (or didn't drink rotgut with us
at Pinkneyville) you're not admitted to our clique. Well, look John, I
like being friendly but when slapped I slap back. Besides, I was lurking
here in the late nineties. You slapped first, right out of the blue and
were wrong besides. Was O-Ring also in your little clique? He's into
that snotty stuff too, slapping and then not expecting to get slapped back.
And it looks like if you're going to call someone's hand, you'd have your
facts correct.

You two and that creepy old mazooran remind me of the schoolyard bully who
goes around throwing sand in everybody's face. One day he throws sand in
the wrong face and gets whupped. Then he goes crying to the teacher
whining how he's been savagely attacked.

You just come along to our little chili cookoff and we'll slip an extra
habanero into yours too.

Which reminds me. Today after reveling over our triumph with one 172, I
began negotiating for another one and it looks like I got another hobby
horse needing a top and a paint job. The plastic project is in the garage
downstairs.

Welp, we just had the duckiest day at KFQD, sun shining, people laughing,
kids playing (one of them riding up and down the taxiways in a one-wheel
bike) and I flew over and buzzed the fuddydudds at ZERO alpha 7 where the N
wind was blowing like hell. Gosh, what a sunny day, and everybody, unlike
this mordant NG, was delightfully happy. WTF is wrong with you, John?
Can't you be a happy boy?

And, btw, most of those Tecumsehs do not have oil pumps. But I still had
to slap you around a little for having come along and thrown sand.

Good thing the telephone and private emails still work.

Ah, hell, mine don't and she who must be obeyed is always on the phone.
Guess I'll give in and go cellular.

John the Stickler

Lighten up a little, Stickler.

Web site info needed dave Home Built 1 December 3rd 03 04:12 AM
parachute needed VO Aerobatics 1 November 25th 03 12:35 AM
Cable parts needed in Dallas dave Home Built 4 October 23rd 03 04:12 AM
0-235 lyc cylinders needed (3) Captain Dave Home Built 0 October 8th 03 08:00 PM
PSRU - Universal Engineering Merle Wagner Home Built 0 July 7th 03 12:38 AM