The Good, the Bad, the Ugly: AirGizmo PIREP, PS Engineering CD/Intercom woes, XM "service"

Old November 24th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default The Good, the Bad, the Ugly: AirGizmo PIREP, PS Engineering CD/Intercom woes, XM "service"

Oh, and just so you have an idea who Mark is, have a look at his last
name - and ask yourself what the S in PS Engineering...

I know. I've purchased two PS Engineering intercom/CD players (one for
each of the planes I've owned), and loved them both -- largely due to
Mark's timely commentary and expert advice here on the 'groups.

Incidentally, lest someone think otherwise, I certainly don't blame PS
Engineering for my shop's ignorance of how to hook up XM radio to my
intercom. They were the ones who cavalierly said "Sure, we can do it!"
without apparently having the vaguest notion of how to make it actually
*work* -- which (BTW) fits 100% into my experience with every avionics
upgrade I've ever done.

In fact, when I first arrived at the airport I joked with the head tech
about "Should I make a follow-up appointment right now, or shall we
wait until the end?" At the time we all laughed heartily, but -- in my
limited experience with three different avionics shops -- there has
never yet been an installation that didn't either (a) need to be
tweaked, or (b) caused something else in the panel to become
non-functional.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 24th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

They were the ones who cavalierly said "Sure, we can do it!"
without apparently having the vaguest notion of how to make it actually
*work*

My experience with avionics shops here in Germany is similar. What I
don't get is: Why don't they simply call the manufacturer and ask?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 24th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article .com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

[snip]
In fact, when I first arrived at the airport I joked with the head tech
about "Should I make a follow-up appointment right now, or shall we
wait until the end?" At the time we all laughed heartily, but -- in my
limited experience with three different avionics shops -- there has
never yet been an installation that didn't either (a) need to be
tweaked, or (b) caused something else in the panel to become
non-functional.

To maintain balance in the world, my radio installs have all gone
well. Over the years I've had my local avionics shop:

Install an intercom

Install a kx-125, a KN-64 DME

install a kx-155, KI-209, Strikefinder, STEC-40, a new DG with
pickoff for the strikefinder and stec-40 (and new antennas and coax).

install a GEM-602 engine analyzer

install a digital OAT

Not once did I have to go back and get something tweaked.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old November 24th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Jay, please let me know how I can help, I'll do what ever I can to make
sure that the Bad turns into AWESOME!

Mark, what in the heck are you doing here, answering technical questions
on Thanksgiving Day???

His football team was losing... g

Montblack