BlueTooth effects?

Old May 18th 04, 07:34 AM
Hilton

Default BlueTooth effects?

Hi,

Anyone know if there's any research out there showing what effect BlueTooth
has on typical GA avionics? i.e. VOR, LOC, GS, DME, GPS, RNAV, ADF, etc.

Thanks!

Hilton

Old May 19th 04, 12:42 AM
gerrcoin

Hilton wrote:
Hi,

Anyone know if there's any research out there showing what effect BlueTooth
has on typical GA avionics? i.e. VOR, LOC, GS, DME, GPS, RNAV, ADF, etc.

Thanks!

Hilton

I haven't seen any official research on the topic but FWIW bluetooth
uses the 2.4 to 2.483 GHz band whereas aeronautical NavAids operate
down around 280 to 580 KHz. There are no aeronautical band allocations
(navaid or comm) within the bluetooth band. The only transmissions
there are maritime mobile and satelite standard time signals.
Bluetooth devices also have to comply with electronic emmision
standards so radio interferance should be negligable. The effects on a
magnetic compass could be significant however.

Old May 19th 04, 04:23 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 19 May 2004 00:42:13 +0100, gerrcoin
wrote in Message-Id:
:

The effects on a magnetic compass could be significant however.

At what distance?

--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,
Old May 19th 04, 09:06 PM
Dean Wilkinson

Bluetooth may affect GPS receivers since GPS signals 1.2276 Gigahertz
for the L2 frequency...

Old May 20th 04, 06:08 AM
Kyler Laird

Javier Henderson writes:

Bluetooth may affect GPS receivers since GPS signals 1.2276 Gigahertz
for the L2 frequency...

I have used my iBook with a D*Link Bluetooth dongle and my Nokia 3600
phone in my plane, while flying, without ill effects to the Garmin
GNS430.

This is but one data point, anecdotal, and not rigorously tested.

I have a Bluetooth GPS receiver. It seems to work without interfering
with itself.

--kyler
Old May 20th 04, 03:38 PM
JerryK

I have not had any problems with my BT GPS and in panel instruments (GNS
430, Avidyne, KX155, KRA10, GTX330, etc.)

jerry

ink.net...

Old May 20th 04, 10:00 PM
Dan Thomas

wrote in Message-Id:
:

The effects on a magnetic compass could be significant however.

At what distance?

--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,

Don't rightly know, but as everything that emitts an electric field
also emitts a magnetic field there has to be some effect, even though
it may not be significant or even noticable. That's why you have to
swing a compass in an aircraft, because the pressence of other
magnetic fields (avionics, gyros, even plain steel) can influence the
heading indicated.

Bluetooth operates within a signal range of 10m or so, so in
comparison to a mobile phone (which is a fairly powerful transmitter)
it's a pretty weak signal. If anything were going to cause
interferience to avionics it would be your cell phone, but a lot of
prople use them during GA flights with no ill effects that I've heard
of. It should be remembered that all avionics are built with such
effects in mind. They have shielded cases and recieve their signals
through shielded cables from outside the aircraft.

I'm no electronics engineer, but I do know that compasses respond to
steady-state magnetic fields, where North and South stay put, more or
less. A direct-current flow in a wire will generate such a field, but
an alternating-current flow will generate a field that switches
polarity at the frequency of the AC. Since all radio transmissions are
AC, the compass won't respond to them. It WILL respond to stronger DC
flows within a radio box, such as the DC voltage feed, panel lighting
and so on. More typical compass interference (deviation) is caused by
nav and landing lights or the DC bus flow.

Dan
Old May 23rd 04, 07:37 PM
Thomas Borchert

Dean,

Bluetooth may affect GPS receivers since GPS signals 1.2276 Gigahertz
for the L2 frequency...

So that's why all those portable Bluetooth GPS receivers are selling
like hotcakes...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)