Letter from Jess Meyers

Old July 19th 04, 01:24 AM
www.seo-highrankings.com

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Matt Whiting wrote:

I'd have to see some records to believe you have doubled your intake and
are losing weight. I'm not saying you are lying, I just don't think you
have the data to know. Many studies have shown that people who don't
actually record their intake make guesses that are pure fantasy.

The volume of food I eat has remained about the same. Its what I'm
eating that's changed. My guess is that the fact that I'm eating more
fatty foods and less starchy foods has caused my caloric intake to
increase. I have also eating a lot of stir fry recently to get the
much needed fiber. The catch is that I cook it with about 1/4th cup
of oil which becomes part of the meal. That is, one pound bag of
stir-fry plus 1/4 cup oil plus 4 hot dogs or sausages equals one meal
for me. (Not counting the ice cream for desert).

Guessing is a very accurate method.

I certainly believe that some foods are metabolized better than others,
or have calories that aren't easily extracted (they end up in the
commode in other words!), but I really question a 2:1 change and have
never seen any documentation that such a large delta is possible.

Unless I hear a better theory than mine, I'm sticking with it. Fat is
a complicated molecule and we can't burn fat - we burn glucose - which
is a simple carb. Complex carbs, such as sugar and starch, are very
easily converted into glucose. Howver, fats are a much more complex
process.

To reiterate my theory, I believe that carbs are necessary to
metabolize fat. Without carbs, the fat just goes down the toilet.
Given the drastic results that some people have realized with atkins,
its kind of like a knifeless stomach staple.

The short-term gains have been impressive in some people, but I don't
know of any who have doubled their calorie intake and still lost weight.
Some recent studies over the longer-term have shown that Atkins has
essentially no long-term advantage over other diets.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Do you have links to any of those studies?

--
James
http://www.AICompany.com - SEO, Web Development and Hosting

Old July 19th 04, 03:58 AM
kansasman

wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

[...]

I have read that also- that Atkins has no long term advantages. This
is perhaps because Atkins does not embrace all of the values of the
balanced diet. There is nothing wrong with having some carbos, a
small sliver of birthday cake at a party. It is when people go
overboard that there is a problem.
Old July 19th 04, 11:23 AM
John

Barnyard BOb - wrote:

With Atkins, you are free to pig out on as much zero
carb stuff as you please. Pass me another steak please! Hungry at
3AM? No problem, pop a couple of sausage links in the microwave,
enjoy and go back to bed.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org

This is trite, simplistic and short of a bullseye, folks.

Barnyard BOb - Atkins advocate
Barnyard BOb - the myth goes on
Barnyard BOb - if you eat it, you may wear it
Barnyard BOb - no such thing as a free lunch

This guy has fallen for it hook line and sinker. Unfortunately he is way off
base!
Dr. Atkins had a nice little heart problem to go with his "fall".
You cannot live long term with the Atkins diet!
Stuff yourself daily with all the meat and poultry you can eat and your
arteries will get smaller and smaller (in internal diameter(its called
plaque (sp)) builtup).
The food pyramid info is a bunch of unsubstantiated hoax to justify his
Atkins fix.
Dennis you obviously can't be convinced but like all fad diets this one too
will be proven over time to be the baloney (pun intended) it is.
Nothing beats a balanced diet with proper exercise/activity to lose or
maintain weight healthily.
John
my 2.5 cents worth.
off my soapbox.

Old July 19th 04, 12:28 PM

(kansasman) wrote:

I have read that also- that Atkins has no long term advantages. This
is perhaps because Atkins does not embrace all of the values of the
balanced diet. There is nothing wrong with having some carbos, a
small sliver of birthday cake at a party. It is when people go
overboard that there is a problem.

Yes, I think that everybody cheats a little on any diet.

Atkins not only isn't balanced, but it spits on the USDA food pyramid.
The USDA food pyramid is blatently wrong. I heard Dr. Atkins say one
time in a TV interview that the USDA food pyramid was designed as a
tool to fatten hogs for slaughter. It was designed to make hogs get
fat quick. It worked too, and now they are telling kids in school to
eat like that. And they're getting fat too.

When I was a kid, I didn't know any better and I ate milk and cereal
every day for breakfast. I had no idea the harm I was doing to myself
with that many carbs a day like that. I wish Dr. Atkins was around
back then.

However, Atkins does have a significant long term advantage. Its a
lifestyle that you CAN maintain for the rest of your life. Other
diets restrict caloric intake - even on maintainence. This means
going hungry. With Atkins, you are free to pig out on as much zero
carb stuff as you please. Pass me another steak please! Hungry at
3AM? No problem, pop a couple of sausage links in the microwave,
enjoy and go back to bed. That is something that is not allowed on
most other diets.

Dennis.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old July 19th 04, 03:53 PM
JohnT.

FWIW, I've made some ice cream from an atkins recipe, about 2 carbs each
serving. A bit of work, but its good. I have not made it in a few months
though.

John

Old July 19th 04, 03:57 PM
RobertR237

However, Atkins does have a significant long term advantage. Its a
lifestyle that you CAN maintain for the rest of your life.

Yes sir, the rest of your short life as your cholestrol level climbs into the
heights and you have a heart attack.

Other
diets restrict caloric intake - even on maintainence. This means
going hungry. With Atkins, you are free to pig out on as much zero
carb stuff as you please. Pass me another steak please! Hungry at
3AM? No problem, pop a couple of sausage links in the microwave,
enjoy and go back to bed. That is something that is not allowed on
most other diets.

As much as I would love such a diet, it is a prescription for disaster.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old July 20th 04, 01:15 AM

Matt Whiting wrote:

How old was Dr. Atkins when he died recently?

Looks like about 72. He was older than me, but he wasn't around in
the public light until long after I grew up. See below:

Dennis.

================================
Thursday, April 17, 2003 Posted: 1:48 PM EDT (1748 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Dr. Robert Atkins, creator of the high-protein,
low-carbohydrate Atkins Diet, died Thursday after an accidental fall
on April 8 left him comatose.

Atkins, 72, was rushed to New York Weill Cornell Medical Center by his
colleague, Dr. Keith Berkowitz, where surgeons removed a blood clot to
relieve pressure in his brain on April 9.

Atkins slipped on an icy sidewalk outside his New York office.
================================

Old July 20th 04, 01:21 AM

"JohnT." wrote:

FWIW, I've made some ice cream from an atkins recipe, about 2 carbs each
serving. A bit of work, but its good. I have not made it in a few months
though.

I've done that too, but its an awful lot of work. I'd say that you
probably end up burning off those 2 carbs and more making the stuff.

The zero carb stuff from Breyers is not bad at all. You can tell its
a little off from the regular, but not bad at all. The 4 carb kind is
indistinguishable in taste from the full blown high sugar ice cream.
I tried a different brand, which is 3 carbs, but it was way off and
tasted a lot like plastic or wax. I only get that kind when its on
sale.