Trailer Chains - To Cross of Not to Cross - That is the Question

Old May 5th 14, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig R.

Default Trailer Chains - To Cross of Not to Cross - That is the Question

Some states require 2 chains when towing, not one. Here is a summary of requirements by state. https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-hitch-signals/
I know of at least one instance out in, I believe, the Nevada "boonies" where the European brake cable activated the trailer brakes while towing and the driver was oblivious to this. A dual axle Cobra being towed by a truck if memory serves (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, it caused a fire..
Lastly, I used to tow with the tongue wheel on, but Noelle and others convinced me that it is best to remove it prior to travel. The wheel loosens up and spirals down to the ground. The rubber is quickly ground off and then it gets messy. They aren't cheap either. She has sold many replacement units..
Just something to consider.
Old May 5th 14, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Another tip worth mentioning is ALWAYS tow with a pin in the hitch lever locking hole. The hitch can open on a severe bump if not pinned. The pin can be a bolt and nut or a padlock for security.
The hole I am referring too is one of the two forward holes in this diagram.

http://www.forbesanddavies.co.nz/pro...ailer_cou.aspx
Old May 6th 14, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"son_of_flubber" wrote in message
On Saturday, May 3, 2014 7:14:14 PM UTC-4, JohnDeRosa wrote:

My mate was in the lead and told me later that in his rear view mirror
the trailer was seen repeatedly going to the left and right of my truck -
basically it kept trying to change lanes - and cars dodging my trailer to
get out of the way.

Gotta tow my trailer next week, so this topic has got me thinking.

I buy that crossed chains are better, but it strikes me that crossed
chains are not symmetrical and that the dismounted trailer will probably
not track stable and straight (as John recounts).

I wonder if it might work better to join the left and right chains with a
perpendicular link under the hitch to achieve symmetry? Picture an H-shape
chain arrangement.

I think I will experiment and see how my trailer tows/drags on just the
chains (slowly and in a parking lot).

You will find your right side chains tight as crap when making a left hand
turn.

Don't do it.

Crossing them is the ONLY way to go.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old May 6th 14, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"Andy" wrote

That of course leads to a completely different discussion - Why do
Americans insist on chains when the trailer designer did not intend them
to be used?

Because it is the law in most states. Perhaps all of them.
--
Jim in NC

---