Another altitude diamond in Minden

Old March 28th 11, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_5_]

Default Another altitude diamond in Minden

SoaringNV claimed another altitude diamond today with a nice flight to
26,000+ feet. Nenad Isakovic, originally of Serbia but currently
living in the UAE, came to Minden last week to stay for as much as 10
days, following our advice that this wave season should offer him at
least one decent wave day if he could stay long enough. After only 5
days of waiting today turned out to be the day.

The wind was strong on the ground by the time he launched at noon but
he was able to release in strong laminar flow at 8200+ feet and after
searching around a little for the strongest lift climbed to his
destination altitude. His flight also earned him a single Lennie
(Symons Memorial Plaque) for passing 25,000'.

Canadian pilot Yves Bastien is also here with us for the better part
of two weeks hoping he'll get clear enough wave to make a 500 km
diamond distance. Yves was #2 in the world on the OLC about a week
ago for a wave distance flight he made then.

Nenad's diamond trace is in the mail to SSA now and will be certified
to Serbia if it meets SSA approval.

Congratulations, Nenad!

Old March 28th 11, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Good on Nenad – congratulations!

Two weeks ago I was fortunate to do a wonderful flight with Tony
Sabino and crew at Soar Minden. It took only 58 minutes to go from
take-off to 27,331 feet (8,330 m) to landing on an overcast, rainy
day. Release occurred at 7,510 feet, for an altitude gain of 19,820
feet (6,041 m). The SSA awarded me a Diamond badge, a Gold badge, and
a single Lennie for the flight.

Minden truly is a diamond mine, a magical place. I am very lucky to
have had the privilege to have flown there. That’s why it’s especially
sad for me to report that the Douglas County commissioners decided to
shut Soar Minden down, for what appear to be contrived reasons. I wish
the very best of luck to those who remain at this soaring mecca.

-John