Incredible wave flight in progress right now

Old February 15th 11, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_5_]

Default Incredible wave flight in progress right now

Gordo Boettger and Hugh Bennett launched out of Minden this morning to
see if they could make a high-speed dash south along the Sierras and
then back to Susanville. Start just south of Susanville at around
eight, turned north of Inyokern at around 11:30. Visit SoaringNV's
Facebook page for tracking info as it is received http://
www.facebook.com/soaringnv?ref=ts#!/soaringnv Fred

Old February 16th 11, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_5_]

Gordo and Hugh landed back at Minden around 4:00 after an 11 hour
flight. Preliminary reports are of a total distance over 1,000 NM,
but because of the way the wave shifted during their flight south and
return, and the lack of cloud markers, they had a hard time finding
wave to close the course. At one point over Air Sailing Gordo said
they were standing still above the ground while indicating 80 kts
airspeed, and he wanted to avoid landing out at Reno International
again so he headed back to Minden. This is Hugh's longest flight yet
and he said he was ready for more! We'll post more on the SoaringNV
web site when we get photos and traces. Fred
Old February 16th 11, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Feb 15, 7:10*pm, Fred wrote:
Gordo and Hugh landed back at Minden around 4:00 after an 11 hour
flight. *Preliminary reports are of a total distance over 1,000 NM,
but because of the way the wave shifted during their flight south and
return, and the lack of cloud markers, they had a hard time finding
wave to close the course. *At one point over Air Sailing Gordo said
they were standing still above the ground while indicating 80 kts
airspeed, and he wanted to avoid landing out at Reno International
again so he headed back to Minden. *This is Hugh's longest flight yet
and he said he was ready for more! *We'll post more on the SoaringNV
web site when we get photos and traces. *Fred

wow astounding. should be good for demolishing a few multiplace
natrional records then?
Old February 17th 11, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 15, 9:34*pm, Tony wrote:
On Feb 15, 7:10*pm, Fred wrote:

Gordo and Hugh landed back at Minden around 4:00 after an 11 hour
flight. *Preliminary reports are of a total distance over 1,000 NM,
but because of the way the wave shifted during their flight south and
return, and the lack of cloud markers, they had a hard time finding
wave to close the course. *At one point over Air Sailing Gordo said
they were standing still above the ground while indicating 80 kts
airspeed, and he wanted to avoid landing out at Reno International
again so he headed back to Minden. *This is Hugh's longest flight yet
and he said he was ready for more! *We'll post more on the SoaringNV
web site when we get photos and traces. *Fred

wow astounding. *should be good for demolishing a few multiplace
natrional records then?

Awesome flight!!!

I just checked it out on OLC / SeeYou.......Looks like they got gyped
out of the first three or four hours of the flight!! I see what looks
like a notch after tow at 14:55...but SeeYou says soaring began at
19:19 ...It also did not pick up the start sector, although you can
see they clearly went throught he start sector....I think most flight
recorders are looking for a sharp turn or a couple of circles to start
the flight....in wave or ridge there is no need to turn so the flight
recorder thinks you are still climbing on tow!!

Also ...pilot comment on OLC says OK for class A airspace....and OK
for night flight......Looks like thay landed well ahead of sunset, but
took off a couple of minutes before sunrise.....Release from tow was
after sunrise.....I guess the towplane gave the necessary lighting?

I hope they notified OLC to get full credit for distance, also hope
the OO and tow pilot give the correct "soaring began" time so they
qualify for any records....

Cookie

Flight in severe Sink/Wave Shaber CJ Rotorcraft 0 February 8th 05 07:26 PM
wave flight in kansas Robert Holliday Soaring 1 May 6th 04 05:03 AM
Kansas Wave Flight Steve Soaring 0 May 4th 04 05:14 AM
1,633 km Sierra Wave Flight IGC file Kizuno Soaring 0 April 2nd 04 07:54 PM
1,633 km (1,015 sm) Sierra Wave Flight Kizuno Soaring 10 March 31st 04 05:35 PM