Old Parachute

Old March 2nd 11, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Old Parachute

I have a Pioneer Thin Pack that hasn't been inspected in about 10
years. The canopy is 35 years old. It's always been properly stored.

I'm looking for a rigger who will inspect this chute and, if it passes
inspection, will sign it off. Someone in the Moriarty, NM area would
be great, but I'm willing to ship it.

It's a shame to toss out perfectly good equipment but, on the other
hand, it will make a great car cover if it fails inspection.
Old March 2nd 11, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Consult with Allen Silver at
www.silverparachutes.com

Old March 2nd 11, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Mar 2, 6:39*am, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
Consult with Allen Silver atwww.silverparachutes.com

Allen Silver is one of the guys you don't want to contact, because he
thinks chutes must be scrapped at 20 years! He also just happens to
sell new chutes for 2K, thank you very much! I'd contact a local
rigger.
JJ
Old March 2nd 11, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Rathbun

At 14:51 02 March 2011, JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Mar 2, 6:39=A0am, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
Consult with Allen Silver atwww.silverparachutes.com

Allen Silver is one of the guys you don't want to contact, because he
thinks chutes must be scrapped at 20 years! He also just happens to
sell new chutes for 2K, thank you very much! I'd contact a local
rigger.
JJ

Don’t worry. All parachutes come with a “Lifetime Warrantee”. If the unit
fails to work as advertised, you can always bring it back for a full
refund.
R5

Old March 2nd 11, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

even if it were not so old the Pioneer had some pretty serious AD's way back
when, having not been packed in 10 years you may find this is the reason!
I've seen these parachutes and was not very impressed with the design even
back when they were still relatively current.....to be very honest, it's
time to move on...unless YOU have no more value that the 35 year old
parachute!
tim

signature database 5919 (20110302) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5919 (20110302) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old March 2nd 11, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well, like all internet forums, this one provides one good answer
(find a local rigger) and a bunch of useless comments.

If those of you who make comments about the value of my life would
have just RTFQ, you'd see that I'd only consider this if the equipment
passes testing.

I've owned this parachute since about 1988 and all ADs issued between
when it was new and 2000, when I stopped soaring for reasons beyond my
control, have been complied with. I'll happily buy a new 'chute if
the old one is not serviceable.

Thanks, JJ, for a decent answer.
Old March 2nd 11, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On Mar 2, 10:43*am, Dan Marotta wrote:
Well, like all internet forums, this one provides one good answer
(find a local rigger) and a bunch of useless comments.

If those of you who make comments about the value of my life would
have just RTFQ, you'd see that I'd only consider this if the equipment
passes testing.

I've owned this parachute since about 1988 and all ADs issued between
when it was new and 2000, when I stopped soaring for reasons beyond my
control, have been complied with. *I'll happily buy a new 'chute if
the old one is not serviceable.

Thanks, JJ, for a decent answer.

I went through this same exercise when I bought my plane 18 months
ago.
It had a Strong parachute with it that hadn't been repacked in 7
years, and
was over 20 years old. I actually sent it to Strong, who proclaimed
it a good
'chute, replaced the drogue, and sent it back for a reasonable price.
I've had
it repacked locally since then.

My local flying mentor (who once was a parachute instructor) says that
he
usually sends his parachute back to the manufacturer about every 5
years
since they may have additional insight into the condition, and will
know
about required updates before others do.

So, my take would be to check with the manufacturer if they're still
around.
If not, then see what your local rigger says.

-- Matt
Old March 3rd 11, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_5_]

Dan:

Contact me if you draw a blank on a local packer. fred.lasor AT
gmail.com
Old March 3rd 11, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On Mar 2, 6:28*pm, Fred wrote:
Dan:

Contact me if you draw a blank on a local packer. *fred.lasor AT
gmail.com

Thanks, Fred and Matt. I'm checking around ABQ and with the
Albuquerque club members. I also received a private email with a good
suggestion. I believe Pioneer went out of business long ago. My last
rigger in Colorado always did rip and puncture tests and the 'chute
always passed, but that was 10 years ago. Again, if the 'chute is not
serviceable, I'll replace it, but it was very comfortable and I'd like
to continue using it.

Looking for parachute Ron Gleason Soaring 3 December 18th 07 06:11 PM
Looking for a 28' Parachute MC Soaring 8 January 16th 05 12:09 AM
F.S. Parachute Tom Stowers Aviation Marketplace 0 October 1st 04 12:36 AM
F.S. Parachute Tom Stowers Soaring 0 October 1st 04 12:28 AM
Parachute anyone? [email protected] Home Built 18 January 21st 04 07:39 AM