Best Club class glider

Old December 13th 11, 09:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default Best Club class glider

At 18:22 12 December 2011, JS wrote:
From my little experience at club class competitions, the pilot seems
to have a lot to do with it...
Most on your list have done well.
Coincidentally, there's an SZD55 for sale in the previous RAS post to
yours, close enough to drive home. They're a very good club class
ship.
Jim

If I could get an SZD55 for £15k I would be very tempted! (and no don't
want a syndicate partner.)

Old December 13th 11, 09:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Thanks for the opinions so far - just to clarify I would like to get an
idea of the pro's and con's of each ship (let's discount things like state
of trailer instruments ect.)
It's interesting to note that Gee Dale recently sold his ASW24 to purchase
a DG100/1 because he felt he could not win the World Club Class with a 24,
as he had to fly too 'high risk' to beat the larger pack of lower
performing club class gliders ove rthe length of a contest.

Old December 13th 11, 11:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

On Dec 12, 8:13*pm, David Reitter wrote:
snip

Be aware of the lifetime limits on the Pegase. *You don't list it, but
if you're considering an Astir, there's an expensive AD out on it.

snip

I suspect the OP is in the UK since he put price in pounds not
dollars. AFAIK the lifetime limits in the UK don't exist on the
Pegase, and 10 hours on the road is enough or more than enough to get
to most clubs unless he lives right on the south coast or near
Inverness.

Agree you want a sound trailer, then a good finish, and believe us
mere mortals are best of finding a glider with those two things that
we are comfortable in and enjoy flying rather than worrying about what
Gee is flying.
Old December 13th 11, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Dec 12, 8:40*am, Paul T wrote:
Thinking about purchasing a club class glider for next year (can't afford a
JS1 or ASG29). I know Std Cirri seem to be popular, but notice G Dale has
bought a DG100 or 101 and won the UK Nationals in it -just wondered which
would be the best for club class competition and what the pro's and con's
would be of the following:-

Std Cirrus, 75 or 81 ?

ASW19/19B

ASW15B

LSIF

DG100/101

Std Jantar 2/3

Glasflugel Std Libelle

Glasflugel Hornet

Pegase

I'll have about £15k max to spend.

Paul,
The best advice would be to buy a ship to match the soaring conditions
you expect to compete in. The DG-100 climbs like stink, but doesn't
run all that well.....................probably a good selection for
weak conditions, but a looser in strong conditions. Same could be said
for the Libelle and G-102. A Pegasus, Hornet or Jantar would be my
choice for strong western conditions here in the US. Don't discount a
good trailer, remember you will live with a crappy trailer every time
you assemble and disassemble whatever you buy.
Cheers,
JJ
Old December 13th 11, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter

On Dec 12, 8:16*pm, " wrote:

I would go with a glider that is easy to rig. *Auto control hook ups
are a real plus. *The early model Std Circus is IMHO pretty complex to
rig.

That's correct.

The all-moving tailplane is a bitch to mount, though after maybe 10
times, I think I stopped having issues. The control hook-ups will be
a problem for pilots who can't get their head and upper body into the
fuselage (that's how I do it and it's no big deal for me). There's a
modification that fits an access hatch which makes life much easier -
I have it, though I don't use it as I'm too lazy to replace the tape
around it all the time. Wedekind sleeves may be fit to the control
connections, though that modification is expensive. I've had
occasional issues putting the wings on. All in all, automatic control-
hookups and a better/quicker wing attachment mechanism would be much
preferable. A mod I would insist on is the one for the spoilers.
The original Std Cirrus has poor airbrakes; with this mod, which fits
some extra aluminum sheets, the brakes are fine. Finally, it's a joy
to fly.

http://www.standardcirrus.org/

But what others said initially still holds: get a glider/trailer
combination within the performance/price constraints that makes life
easy when rigging and de-rigging, and look for a decent finish.

Old December 13th 11, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_37_]

It is.

Although the Mini Nimbus is not on the approved IGC list.

Go figure.

Mike

Old December 13th 11, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Sorry, forgot the L/E ratio is only ~1.2:1
Last I paid for Euros was 1.6 US Pesos.
....Hope you have a vintage Desmoquattro to finance this with.
Jim

Old December 13th 11, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Mosquito is a great ship but it's not in the club class (it's flapped) and
would however fit into the European "Racing class" where they do allow
flapped gliders.....( also mentioned was the .Mini-Nimbus but it's a poor
comparison and lacks many good features of the Mosquito!)
Hence, the Hornet is the real 1st choice for "club" class being similar to
the Mosquito but without flaps and has a different airfoil as well......
I've owned and flown both the Hornet and Mosquito and neither has the
"exceptions" of the rest like manual hook-up's, small ineffective dive
brakes, all flying tails, lift off canopies, small uncomfortable cockpits or
infamous DG/LS support (lack of) issues .it's just really hard to pick on
these terrific Glasflugel ships.......
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

database 6708 (20111213) __________