Best Club class glider

Old December 15th 11, 10:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default Best Club class glider

At 18:15 14 December 2011, Cats wrote:
On Dec 14, 6:08=A0am, Hagbard Celine wrote:
You're fortunate that you live in the U.K.; a tiny country with a lot
of gliders. This means you have a lot more choice and it'll be pretty
easy to go look at quite a few gliders.

If you're primary interest is winning club class competitions then you
should look at what glider most commonly wins and buy one of those
(yes, I know that handicapping theoretically means every glider should
be equal but..)

In the UK that would probably mean flying whatever G Dale flies!

You might find some of Derek Pigott's reports online:
http://www.lakesgc.co.uk/mainwebpage...gmagazines.htm

However I don't think the archive is indexed, so it might take a lot
of time and dedication to find them.

Gee Dale flies a DG100/101? -sold his ASW24 for it has stated at the start
of this thread!
Wish we could leave all this advice trailers ect and focus on the
strength and weaknesses of the individual ships mentioned for CLUB CLASS
competition! Thanks for those that have done so.

Old December 15th 11, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Trailer? 20-30 minutes to rig and 5-6 hours to fly. I'd rather have a
comfortable glider!

(Fortunately, I have both... LAK-17a and LAK T5 trailer) ;-)

"Cats" wrote in message
Some of the older (101) Pegs have a self-connecting elevator, which is
a feature that's well worth having. AFAIK it was a feature added
towards the date when they switching to the 90.

It also never surprises me that I fit them (5'3") as does a friend who
is 12" taller. I don't have the seat back right forward, he takes it
out and wears light-weight shoes.

At my height with slightly short legs poportionately, I get a great
view - the back of the canopy is after of my head, and I can just
about make out the tailplane of the glider.

However I've helped enough people with dodgy trailers and rigging aids
to agree that the condition of the trailer comes first. You can make
rigging aids if necessary - for example the chap with an Asir and no
wing root dolly made one as soon as we had used mine to help rig his
glider. He was a very tall guy so without one was having to stoop to
avoid banging the trailing edge on the top of the trailer door frame,
and yes - I think he had a bad back!

Old May 27th 14, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan, do you own a Mosquito?

On Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:35:17 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
In a word: Mosquito.

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message

On Dec 12, 8:40 am, Paul T wrote:

Thinking about purchasing a club class glider for next year (can't afford

JS1 or ASG29). I know Std Cirri seem to be popular, but notice G Dale has

bought a DG100 or 101 and won the UK Nationals in it -just wondered which

would be the best for club class competition and what the pro's and con's

would be of the following:-

Std Cirrus, 75 or 81 ?

ASW19/19B

ASW15B

LSIF

DG100/101

Std Jantar 2/3

Glasflugel Std Libelle

Glasflugel Hornet

Pegase

I'll have about £15k max to spend.

Paul,

The best advice would be to buy a ship to match the soaring conditions

you expect to compete in. The DG-100 climbs like stink, but doesn't

run all that well.....................probably a good selection for

weak conditions, but a looser in strong conditions. Same could be said

for the Libelle and G-102. A Pegasus, Hornet or Jantar would be my

choice for strong western conditions here in the US. Don't discount a

good trailer, remember you will live with a crappy trailer every time

you assemble and disassemble whatever you buy.

Cheers,

JJ

Old May 27th 14, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In all this strategizing remember that what works for g dale might not work for everyone. G can use lower handicap and catch/ stay with the gaggle. A less stellar pilot will lose the gaggle. A better strategy for a new pilot: get a bit better handicap than the rest and make sure they don't leave you.. Alone. Low. In the blue.

Same goes for starts. A newer pilot should
Start early. Let the big guns run over you and try to stick with them.

Club gliders from the 70s and 80s benefit a lot from clean up and good instruments

John cichrame
Old May 27th 14, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

John Who? "John cichrame"

Old July 26th 14, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 12, 2011 8:36:09 PM UTC-8, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
On Dec 12, 8:40*am, Paul T wrote:

Thinking about purchasing a club class glider for next year (can't afford a

JS1 or ASG29). I know Std Cirri seem to be popular, but notice G Dale has

bought a DG100 or 101 and won the UK Nationals in it -just wondered which

would be the best for club class competition and what the pro's and con's

would be of the following:-

Std Cirrus, 75 or 81 ?

ASW19/19B

ASW15B

LSIF

DG100/101

Std Jantar 2/3

Glasflugel Std Libelle

Glasflugel Hornet

Pegase

I'll have about £15k max to spend.

Re-lighting a fire.... I would avoid an LS anything, or a DG anything.

Both for the same reason, though the airframes are fine. Like many, I

recommend a good trailer, good finish, and ease of assembly.

Ruggedness is also a pl

I am an old Ka6 Pilot (ca 500 hours) looking to get back into soaring after nearly 2 decades out Am looking for a good, moderate cost ship with the docility of the Ka6 but enough performance to finish up my badges.
Found this thread.
Curious why you don't recommend 'an LS anything'. I was considering an LS3A..
Also considering an ASW19, H201B. All comments appreciated.
John Murphy

Old July 27th 14, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Van Henson

A partner and I recently bought a Mini Nimbus, although not for competitions (I don't think, anyway, I'm pretty much a newbie and it's a first glider for me).

But I can echo what others say about thr trailer and ease of assembly. We got a decent Cobra trailer, which does need some work but not much, and every time I fly it I am grateful for the trailer.

When we first tried to assemble it we gave up after about three hours, deciding we'd made a big mistake. But a bit of persistence, very examination of the nevessary alignment, and careful development of a good checklist has me routinely assembling and disassembling it singlehandedly. Worth platinum, that.

And I'm growing to love the way it flies. Great climb (+8 flaps), decent legs, roomy cockpit, comfortable flying at higher speeds (-4 and -7 flaps, I just love them), and an awesome trailing-edge spoiler linked to flaps that drop into speed brake position that allow for very steep descents.

The only thing I don't like (read: hate) is the CG hook. I'm learning to deal with it (negative flaps on starting the TO roll, switching to 0 or +8 before lift off, quite necessary as my ho.e airport features most takeoffs with a quartering tailwind). It's already produced a ground loop on one TO and a PT3 when I yawed right to take out a slack line just as the tow plane turned left, causing the CG hook to back-release.

Now if I could only fly it half as well as it can be flown I would be in permanent heaven.

Van
Old July 27th 14, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah[_2_]

On Dec 12, 8:40*am, Paul T wrote:

Thinking about purchasing a club class glider for next year (can't afford a

I am an old Ka6 Pilot (ca 500 hours) looking to get back into soaring after nearly 2 decades out Am looking for a good, moderate cost ship with the docility of the Ka6 but enough performance to finish up my badges.

Found this thread.

Curious why you don't recommend 'an LS anything'. I was considering an LS3A.

Also considering an ASW19, H201B. All comments appreciated.

John Murphy

Because of DG's annual service contract subscription requirement for most LS prior to the later LS-8/10, and quite a few older DG sailplanes.

Without this, DG will not sell you parts.

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/index.php?id=betreuung-e