Boots for cold weather Soaring

Old January 5th 12, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Boots for cold weather Soaring

Hi All - After my Soaring report Tuesday (frozen toes), I got a
recommendation for "Sorel Bear" boots. These look like they
might be stiff in the ankle making rudder operation annoying
(a problem with my current poorly-insulated boots):
http://www.amazon.com/Sorel-Mens-Bea.../dp/B000VWB8D0

I was thinking maybe Sorel Alpha Pac:
http://www.amazon.com/Sorel-Mens-Alp.../dp/B001OTZ024

Anybody have experience with either of these, or another
recommendation ?

Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Old January 5th 12, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

On Jan 5, 1:32*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:
Hi All - After my Soaring report Tuesday (frozen toes), I got a
recommendation for "Sorel Bear" boots. These look like they
might be stiff in the ankle making rudder operation annoying
(a problem with my current poorly-insulated boots):http://www.amazon.com/Sorel-Mens-Bea.../dp/B000VWB8D0

I was thinking maybe Sorel Alpha Pac:http://www.amazon.com/Sorel-Mens-Alp.../dp/B001OTZ024

Anybody have experience with either of these, or another
recommendation ?

Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

I've been flying with Sorel boots on my feet during gliding flights
for about 8 years, and swear by them. Most of my summer flying is in
SW Colorado between 16k and 17.9k where it tends to be below freezing
much / most of the time. And, it can be pretty cold during winter
flights in Arizona, too. I listen on the radio as others grouse
about cold / frozen feet on long high flights / gotta go down and thaw
out, and I just smile and keep on flyin. Numerous gliding friends
have now bought them, too, and are MUCH happier in the cold air. Not
sure which style mine are but they look pretty much like the Sorel
Bear boots. I fly in an 1981 Ventus B, which has LOTS of room
everywhere, and have had no problems with them with the pedals or
anything. They seem plenty flexible to me. They probably would slow
an emergency egress, tho, if I ever needed to bail out. They aren't
toasty electric socks, so my feet do get cool on long high flights,
but not cold, so no complaints from me. I'm a happy camper with my
Sorels.

Bob T.
19
Old January 5th 12, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_2_]

Anybody have experience with either of these, or another
recommendation ?

Steger Mukluks. See www.mukluks.com. Not cheap, but comfortable,
warm, not bulky, nicely hand made. Tested in Mt Washington wave to
-20 F OAT. Vent system on my 20 leaks cold air onto feet no matter
what, so pretty tough test (on todo list to fix before wave camp next
year!). My feet did *finally* get cold. But it took several hours.
Can fly all day at anything above about +5 F with one pair wool
socks. If you want warmer, buy em a size large and bulk up on socks.
Much nicer in the cockpit than any rigid soled shoe or boot.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old January 5th 12, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_2_]

Grrrr.

link should be http://www.mukluks.com
Old January 5th 12, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_5_]

Dave:

Unless you're planning to do much walking, I swear by shearling boots
(almost high-top slippers) in a larger than normal size. They're
available during winter in Costco for less than $50. They're slip-on,
so if you bailed out they would probably come off when the canopy
opens. I guess you could put some kind of tie around the ankle, but
any constriction of circulation will only exacerbate the problem. I
think Sorels would be good if you worry about bailing out and still
having boots when you reach the ground, but in my size they would be
much too large for most gliders -- my toes would hang up on the nose
of the glider. Think about the shearlings -- I put them on before
going to the flight line, and even when there's snow on the ground and
they get wet they still work very well in wave.
Old January 5th 12, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
wiktor256

These boots are popular amongst Polish glider pilots:
http://pokazywarka.pl/anetleatherco/

Cost is about $60 + shipping

Info:
Aneta Bednarczuk

Old January 6th 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Evan, those are a bit pricey, but
I really like the fringe and pom-poms,
Old January 6th 12, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Further to above:
- looking for waterproof, suitable for wear
on ground before and after flight,
- plenty of room in Antares for big boots.

Thanks all !
Old January 6th 12, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Looks nice, especially the "L" and "R" labels.
I always get those confused...
Are these sold in USA ?
Thanks !
Old January 6th 12, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Jan 5, 7:59*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:
Evan, those are a bit pricey, but
I really like the fringe and pom-poms,

Yeah, I reckon they might cost as much as a week's hull insurance on
an Antares.

Rubber soles on traditional mukluks worked fine at Gorham on soggy
turf runway, no issues at all. I would not use them in wet snow/
slush.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Cold Weather PreHeating Peter R. Owning 22 February 12th 07 07:57 PM
Cold weather starting. Mike Noel Owning 17 December 21st 05 03:24 AM
Warm Weather Pilots, Cold Weather Ops john smith Piloting 3 December 2nd 04 04:00 PM
Cold weather ops Happy Dog Piloting 13 February 6th 04 06:45 PM
Cold Weather Flying Jose Vivanco Owning 27 October 16th 03 11:27 AM