Important message about transponder use

Old February 16th 12, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_5_]

Default Important message about transponder use

Just got the following from Gordon Boettger. Please pass along as
appropriate. Fred

========================

Folks,
Just spent the day at OAK ARTCC. They keep emphasizing that for
safety reasons all gliders "should" (highly recommended) squawk around
the RNO area. They said that chunk of airspace still scares the hell
out of them. They mentioned that they're still seeing a lot of
nonsquawkers out there. When they're dealing with nonsquawking
targets that suddenly disappear from their screen near an arriving/
departing aircraft, it not only makes them really nervous, but their
workload goes up and makes their job much harder. Although I wasn't
dealing with NORCAL, OAK ARTCC handles all arrivals in/out of RNO
above FL190. The approach plates for all the approaches into RNO have
a large note saying "EXTENSIVE GLIDER OPERATIONS UP TO FL180" but that
doesn't guarantee anything. I CANNOT OVEREMPHASIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF
THE NEED TO SQUAWK WITH MODE C WHENEVER AIRBORNE when flying from
airports around the Reno area. It's pretty simple. Turn the bloody
transponder on before takeoff just as one would the radio and leave it
on. That way you won't forget it airborne. Plus, that will allow us
glider guys that have a PCAS device or FLARM to see those that don't
have FLARM or PCAS. There's no excuse anymore for not having and
using a transponder. It doesn't matter if you're flying a 1-26 or an
ASW-27. If you don't have a transponder yet, GET ONE. If we have
another glider swapping paint with someone, we'll be having some major
problems with soaring in our future.
I'm not sure what's going on with the squawk code issue, but whether
it's 1202 or 0440, whatever you have dialed in they'll see you. My
routine is to always call NORCAL on the radio too and make sure I'm in
radar contact. After all, although I have my transponder on doesn't
mean that they necessarily see me or my altitude. It might not be
working properly. I usually get a mode C check while I'm talking to
them. I'm always aware of their arrivals (north/south) into RNO and
if I ever get near their departure/arrival corridor, I state my
intentions. They seem to really like that.
Please pass this on to as many people that you know.
Thanks,
Gordo

Old February 16th 12, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Amen. And please get a Mode S transponder !
Lower power consumption and will work in gaggles.
No big difference in cost.
See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old February 16th 12, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Feb 16, 7:26*am, Fred wrote:
[...]

Roger that, Gordo!
last year all 15 contestants flying the Air Sailing contest were
transponder equipped and we called Reno each morning to tell them were
the fleet was headed that day. I'm sure the Open Nats flying out of
Minden will do the same and I'm betting they all have transponders
too. Too bad we can't get our SSA to recommend transponders for all
members flying around places like Reno, but they can't even adopt a
position that calls for all members to get a RADIO.
Your on your own, keep your eyes open and transponders on.
JJ
Old February 16th 12, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

I hope that transponders are a requirement for that Minden contest. And yes I am not aware that a CD can require transponders, but peer pressure can do amazing things. And there is no excuse for open class toys not to be equipped with transponders and enough battery capacity. Holding a contest in the Reno area without a transponder equipped glider (and towplane) fleet would be a risk. We've had a few too many incidents with non-transponder equipped gliders there already. If something happens, even if not the glider pilots or organizers technical fault, the SSA, contest organizers etc. would likely be damned by the media and general public.

Not flying in places like around Reno, I don't care what you do, and we certainly don't need rules or regulations to force transponders on other folks.. But choose to fly in these high density/fast-jet traffic areas and we need pilots to carry and use transponders.

Darryl
Old February 17th 12, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 16, 1:18*pm, JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Feb 16, 7:26*am, Fred wrote:

[...]

JJ- Hide quoted text -

If the organizers wish to ask to be permitted to require transponders
for this event, the RC would certainly consider it carefully.
It requires a waiver request sent to UH or KM or both.
UH
Old February 17th 12, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Great post. I just bought a transponder today. Thx.
Old February 17th 12, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley

On Feb 16, 7:26*am, Fred wrote:

[...]

UH- Hide quoted text -

I have asked the Rules committee for 2 temporary waviers concerning
cell phones and PDA software for the 2012 SSA soaring contest season.
I have been informed that these waviers will not be required as
clarification is shortly going to be announced on cell phones and this
other area.
Simply standby and wait as in our past, an organized thought process
gives great and sometimes unexpected results.

Thomas Kelley #711.

Transponder vs. Portable Transponder Detectors John Murphy Soaring 16 December 20th 08 07:25 AM
Important Information Brandon Piloting 0 November 10th 06 10:41 AM
Important message for SSA members C. Dianne Black-Nixon Soaring 77 September 8th 06 04:38 AM
*IMPORTANT* Message for Google Group, Usenet and AOL users! [email protected] Soaring 8 January 30th 05 02:32 AM
Important New TFR NOTAM Dean Wilkinson Piloting 8 November 21st 03 07:13 AM