Flight Simulator 2004 Control Issues

Old November 22nd 03, 08:05 AM
SouthBayGuy

Default Flight Simulator 2004 Control Issues

Hello Everyone:

I was hoping that someone with more experience than I could help me with
some questions/problems that I have with MS Flight Sim 2004. I have owned
all of the FS since 4.0, and the one that has worked best for me has been
2002. A couple of weeks ago, I got 2004, and am quite happy with it as an
"upgrade," more for the "little things" (more choices in ATC, better GPS,
etc), but have had some problems that are either brand new, or seem to have
gotten worse in this version.

First, my system;
Compaq 1.6 GHz Pentium 4
512 mb RAM 433mhz bus
80gb 7200 EIDE HDD 80gb Maxtor external HDD (USB)
NVIDIA Geoforce 2MMX 64MB video (yeah yeah, I know)
Windows XP Home SP1 with all the lil "patches"
Saitek Cyborg EVO Joystick

This system can run FS2004 fairly well, good frame rate, not the best
scenery detail of course, but I use FS mostly as a recreational thing, to do
the flying that I cant afford, and am not skilled for yet, in R/L. I have
taken some flight training in the past, it's been a long time ago, but I do
know what it's like to fly a real 182, etc. With my older video card I've
found that the best thing to do is leave it at whatever the program puts at
the defaults--that gives the best performance for me.

Now, to the issues:

1. Rudder control-Both my joysticks (I also have the MS Sidewinder 2.0 that
frankly I'm disappointed with), have twist for rudder. It is VERY DIFFICULT
to taxi, to keep the plane on the taxi line and even more difficult to track
the center on take off and landing rolls. This occurs in all planes but is
worse in the Mooney Bravo. Is this just part of the flight model, .cfg file,
whatever? I don't want to invest in custom rudder controls and have the same
problem..that would be very depressing! Also once in the air, the planes
especially the light gen av aircraft, wander a bit as far as heading (the
Mooney is worst at this).

2. Auto Pilot Problem-Now THIS is the thing that is frustrating. When I'm
flying any of the lighter aircraft, really anything other than the
airliners, when the A/P is set for altitude it keeps the trim so nose high,
the airplane can't pass 80 knots or so. This is especially bad in the 172
182 and Mooney. The twins do it to an extent; it doesn't really happen in
the jets because you can set the A/P to maintain IAS. Is there ANY way to
stop the A/P from setting the trim so nose high? I've also noticed that when
flying along in A/P that periodically the plane will suddenly act like it
was hit by a gust (even with wind turned off), slip, raise and fall a bit,
then try to go back to the heading and altitude (and of course roll the
elevator trim way high! UGH!).

The Mooney for seem reason, just seems downright unflyable. Am I doing
something wrong, do I have to alter a config file or something? It just
seems, from my limited real piloting experience, that real aircraft are
about 20 times easier to control. Anyway thanks so much for taking the time
to read my post. I would appreciate any help or advice anyone could give.

Thanks!

Old November 22nd 03, 02:23 PM
glathrem

If you turn AP off and center the joystick, will it fly straight and level?
Sounds like the AP is compensating for a slightly down stick. I have the 3
axis sidewinder and it works fine, except that FS9 pushes buttons on it's
own occasionally. I do see the quick turbulence bump you have once in a
while. That Mooney Bravo is a bummer. It won't fly straight unless you
continuously switch fuel tanks. It only draws fuel from one tank at a time
and quickly becomes unbalanced enough to turn. Would be a really nice plane
except for that. My system is not much better than yours; 1.8ghz, Nvidia
64mb (geforce4), XP sp1, 512 ram...... I most of the time maintain 20FPS
with most sliders maxed out (the sliders important to me anyway).

link.net...

Old November 22nd 03, 03:18 PM
Lange_666th

Regarding the rudder, i also have this problem and i use a set of race
pedals in combo with a modified Cougar.
Even with the rudders sensivity set to min, it's still way to sensitive in
respons.
I don't believe real rudders will act better here.

--
Lange,
666th Black Brigade

Old November 22nd 03, 06:52 PM
Dashi

I have the CH Pro USB pedals, work great, not overly sensitive.

On take off all single engine recip's are going to need right rudder input,
IRL and the sim.

Should have no problem keeping it on the center line, airborne, without
outside reference, it will take a bit more practice.

Dashi

Old November 22nd 03, 07:29 PM
Jim Hendrickson

[...]

I have found there to be a "bug" in the 172 autopilot (KAP-140) as well.
Whenever I engage the autopilot, which I usually only use in HDG or NAV
mode, it takes pitch authority even though I don't have ALT hold set. I get
around this by toggling the ALT hold on and off whenever I engage the
autopilot. I usually don't use the ALT modes, so you may want to try
toggling ALT ON, OFF, then back ON and see if you still have the problem.

Old November 23rd 03, 10:43 AM
SouthBayGuy

Thanks for your reply, glatherm:

Well no it won't fly straight and level, really. Without the A/P I am
constantly having to readjust power/trim, and still find myself climbing or
descending about 300fpm. It's either my poor skills as a sim pilot after all
these years, or none of the joysticks i've tried will calibrate exactly
correct on this computer of mine. I still tend to think it's a combination
of my lousy flying and the default flight models and whatever bugs are
present in FS9. I'm tending to believe what I do about the flight models
because I got the "Perfect Flight General Aviation Adventures" add on from
the internet the other day (because it has a citiation in it) and although
the graphics on the planes and panel's aren't up to MS, the planes handle
much better.

Thanks for the tip on the Mooney I'll try it!

Regards to all

Old November 23rd 03, 10:43 AM
SouthBayGuy

Thanks for your reply, Lange_666th:

That was what I was afraid of I have been thinking about getting the CH
pedals for awhile and a good yoke like that, but have been scared to spend
the money thinking what if it still acts the same? I still might get them
for myself as an xmas present because (a) I'm so hooked on FS and even
though each version has had it's frustrations, I spend a lot of time in it
and (b) I've heard from almost everyone a yoke and pedals is SO much better
than a joystick, even the best joystick.

Regards to all

Old November 23rd 03, 10:43 AM
SouthBayGuy

Thanks for your reply Dashi:

Yep, I try to hold right rudder on T/O but, find myself weaving all over. I
try itty bitty movements but it does the same thing. I'll keep practicing

Regards to all

Old November 23rd 03, 10:43 AM
SouthBayGuy

Thanks for your reply Jim:

I will try that! I generally use ALT/NAV/ and in the jets ALT/NAV/IAS
because I tend to like to take a lot of long flights-east coast to europe,
europe to asia west coast to oceania etc, in real time, not multiple
sessions, so if I'm away from the computer for awhile i.e. sleeping or
whatnot, the plane can continue to its destination or next stop if refueling
is needed. If I'm still snoozing it will circle the airport till I get back
to it (unless it flames out or runs out of fuel hehe).

Regards to all and thanks so much for your help!

Old November 23rd 03, 11:45 AM
SouthBayGuy

Unfourtunately this didn't help...as soon as I ENGAGE the A/P...it starts
dialing the trim UP UP UP...Even with just NAV set. It must be a problem in
my system somewhere :0(