Games related to airplanes for children

Old February 27th 05, 09:15 PM
Mikael K

On 27-Feb-2005, Top Spin wrote:

That's encouraging. He's not a prodigy, is he? ;-)

Nope.. No prodigy (except the ordinary)... But thx for asking... ;o)

So the game can be scaled down or customized to make it a little
easier to use for beginners?

As easy as to push the throttle forward, and pull the stick back...
And then just a little guidance to find out how to select the
favourite-airplane of the day, and start the flight...

By the way.. Does he have a joystick? With a "speed"-lever on (to be
preferred for easy control of speed)?
This would be a good thing to have, to get the most joy out of a flight
simulator...
If he has to steer with the keyboard, he will quickly put the simulator
aside...
So if he doesn't have a joystick, it could be a thing to get his Mom and Dad
into.. )

Regards
Mikael K

--
Sorry.. no direct reply-email.. ;o)
Old February 27th 05, 09:26 PM
Dallas

Mikael,

Before we get too carried away, what are your computers specifications?
You'll need a modern processor, about 768 RAM and a good graphics card to
run FS2004....

Dallas

Old February 27th 05, 09:31 PM
Dallas

"Dallas"
Mikael,
Before we get too carried away, what are your computers specifications?

Err... that should have been directed to Top Spin...

Dallas

Old February 27th 05, 09:37 PM
Jan Berg

"Top Spin" wrote:

My grandson will be 8 in a month. He loves airplanes. He is also
pretty good on the computer. I was thinking of getting him a copy of
FS for his birthday, but after lurking on this ng for a few days, I am
concerned that the game is too complicated for an 8 year old.

In my opinion, an eight year old kid shouldn't stay alone with a computer.
If your daughter/son thinks the same, she/he could help him to set up
the sim or flight. If your grandson will find himself back on the runway,
with started engines and full flaps, be sure he will get up to the sky
somehow.

I would appreciate any opinions on the appropriateness of FS for an 8
year old boy. If FS is not a good choice, I would appreciate
suggestions for other games involving ariplanes that would be.

As I said before, if your grandson will get some support from his
parents, there should be no age-limitation to start using a computer or
aircraft (imo), as long as you consider the age-recommendation
of the games publisher or your countries law. For this reason, if I
were you, I would not think about war-games for young children.

Besides, a simulation like the MS-FS9, can really improve your
grandsons geography-skill :-). Even my son, who is just three years
old, tooks the first steps, to be a great armchair-pilot, like his daddy
already is...

Sorry for bad english and grammar,
Jan

Old February 27th 05, 10:04 PM
Murmur

"Top Spin" ha scritto nel messaggio

So can the game be customized so make it less complex for beginners? I
think that would make it a go for sure. Personally, I think he'll like
it and do OK. I jjust didn't want it to be soooo hard that he then
wouldn't give it a try later.

Yes it can. But don't underestimate the learning capabilities of a 8 year
old boy, they usually learn quicker and easier. The only discriminant here
is if he's really interested in flying. In that case, I'm pretty sure, soon
he'll be teaching to you how to use FS. ;-P

Often children prefer combat flying to general aviation, e.g. Pacific
Fighters or Combat Flight Simulator 3, but I don't know if this is the
case.
Try to find out.

Are these simpler?

Well, it depends on several factors...WWII flight simulators don't require
the knowledge of modern nav systems, and are usually designed to make quick
plays. Sometimes children prefer them for the shooting element.

Old February 27th 05, 10:16 PM
boB

Dallas wrote:

"Chris Harries"

you say that but I would say that something like CFS3 still has education

it.

Yeah, but with FS9 he could grow up to be an airline pilot and make oodles
of money and support Dad in his retirement years. :-)

Dallas

Dalli, I have never once heard a good thing about CFS-3. Did I miss
something?

And as for landing, an 8 year old will have a better time learning to
land on a long straight road, where even if he goes off the road, it
doesn't matter. He'll come to a stop and he's ready for take-off again.

But once he gets good enough to land on, and stay on, a road the sense
of accomplishment will be surpassed only by landing safely on an one of
the airfields in the sim.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Old February 27th 05, 10:27 PM
Jan Berg

"boB" wrote:

Dalli, I have never once heard a good thing about CFS-3. Did I miss
something?

Apparent, Firepower

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/firepower/review.html

But I have just read about it...

[..]

Jan

Old February 27th 05, 10:48 PM
boB

Jan Berg wrote:

"boB" wrote:

Dalli, I have never once heard a good thing about CFS-3. Did I miss
something?

Apparent, Firepower

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/firepower/review.html

But I have just read about it...
Jan

Darn it Jan! I'm not gonna dig out my CFS3. FS9 takes most of my time
as it is. Is it addictive?

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Old February 28th 05, 12:13 AM
Top Spin

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:15:22 GMT, "Mikael K"
wrote:

On 27-Feb-2005, Top Spin wrote:

That's encouraging. He's not a prodigy, is he? ;-)

Nope.. No prodigy (except the ordinary)... But thx for asking... ;o)

So the game can be scaled down or customized to make it a little
easier to use for beginners?

As easy as to push the throttle forward, and pull the stick back...
And then just a little guidance to find out how to select the
favourite-airplane of the day, and start the flight...

By the way.. Does he have a joystick? With a "speed"-lever on (to be
preferred for easy control of speed)?
This would be a good thing to have, to get the most joy out of a flight
simulator...
If he has to steer with the keyboard, he will quickly put the simulator
aside...

Nope. That was going to be my next question.

Any recommendations for a really good joystick?

Is there anything else? Leather flight jacket? Silk scarf? French
lass?

I think I read about foot pedals. I guess that can be for birthday
next year if he's still into it.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Old February 28th 05, 12:14 AM
Top Spin

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:26:43 GMT, "Dallas"
wrote:

Mikael,

Before we get too carried away, what are your computers specifications?
You'll need a modern processor, about 768 RAM and a good graphics card to
run FS2004....

I think his computer is good. If not, his folks will get a new one. He
already has a lot of educational games and they play just fine.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)