STOL Plans

Old June 15th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default STOL Plans

Christopher wrote:

Jim,

Why do you persist, is your opinion attached to your ego? GO find the
information yourself, you don't want to listen to me.

I beleive Jim soemtimes reverts to retorical form as irony?

I listen to him - sometimes...

Who are you?

Richard

This message composed of 100% recycled electrons.
Old June 15th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Jim Carriere wrote:

wrote:

If the HP/weight ratio is similar to aircraft engines designed from
scratch then we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. A much
higher weight efficiency would seem improbable though.

Well... using the 120hp takeoff rating and 200lbs, 0.6 hp/lb sounds
right as a takeoff rating. 84hp continuous seems like good,
conservative engineering.

Comparable popular engines of similar output like the O-235 (approx
0.55hp/lb), 912 (between 0.55-0.65 hp/lb depending mostly on which
version, 80hp or 100hp), Jabiru 3300 (approx 0.65 hp/lb).

Now, the devil is in the details. I suspect "200lbs" does not include
the radiators and plumbing. In the catalog (6MB download), cited
earlier in this thread by JP, down at the bottom of page 7, there is a
note about the engine weight figures (note, they do include reduction
drive). Anyway, leaving off the radiator weights makes the power:weight
figures less optimistic and more believable.

I think the major reasons for the improved output are
1) the liquid cooling allows a higher compression ratio
2) improved heat dissipation over the well known cooling fin limitation
on VW heads

Just my thoughts. My VW experience is that I rode in a Bug once or
twice

A couple of points..

An engineer or designer would want to know the weight of the item by itself.
The rest is installation weight, and we'll weight them all up separately too.
Which will give not only the total weight, but the combined CG as well.

As for the improved output, don't forget that these ARE geared engines,
(weight of box included or not).

Old August 4th 06, 06:47 AM
Christopher Christopher is offline
Junior Member

I think Jim enjoys yanking peoples chains sometimes, especially when he just might be right about that VW engine.....

I've done alot more research since this thread started and a regular VW engine won't last at that HP rating but I still can't find anything about this particular remake of the VW engine with new heads, liquid cooling etc. etc. etc......

Anymore I am considering the Corvair or Jabiru.

Who AM I? An engineer in an unrelated field (I attach my ego to that) but not for piston engines, that's for sure!

BTW: I removed that post you quoted right after making it, seeing it as too harsh and, well... stupid. However, emails of the posts still go out.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavelamb
Christopher wrote:

Jim,

Why do you persist, is your opinion attached to your ego? GO find the
information yourself, you don't want to listen to me.

I beleive Jim soemtimes reverts to retorical form as irony?

I listen to him - sometimes...

Who are you?

Richard

This message composed of 100% recycled electrons.

Last edited by Christopher : August 4th 06 at 06:52 AM.