Light single into KBOS, KPVD, or KIAD?

Old March 30th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Chambers

Default Light single into KBOS, KPVD, or KIAD?

Either that or perhaps BDL Bradley in CT, it's a class C and has
frequent commercial flights but is friendly to GA.

Peter R. wrote:
On 3/27/2007 1:51:36 PM, "xyzzy" wrote:

The
choices are KBOS, KPVD, or KIAD (she's in Syracuse and will have to
fly commercial to one of those airports).

Just curious why you won't consider picking up your friend in Syracuse?
Coming from North Carolina, the diversion can't be that much out of the way,
no?

I have been to Boston Logan many times in both a C172 and a Bonanza V35, but
all were conducted under the Angel Flight callsign. From what I have heard,
KBOS is expensive to non-charity GA during the week and less expensive on
weekends.

Old April 2nd 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"xyzzy" wrote in news:1175017895.106689.162120
@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Looks like this Friday I may be picking up a family member on the way
to KHYA. I'll be leaving from KTTA in NC and we're trying to decide
which airport would be better to pick up a pax at in a C172. The
choices are KBOS, KPVD, or KIAD (she's in Syracuse and will have to
fly commercial to one of those airports). Airnav shows high landing/
ramp fees and expensive FBO's at all of them. KBOS looks like the
worst. Anyone have any experience or recommendations for either of
those airports? TIA.

PVD is pretty good, and it's close to the destination. It's moderately GA
friendly... I haven't been there in a while, but I have picked up passengers
there in the last year or two and it was pretty easy. I think $20 or so for
the turn around, and I may have gotten it partially waived by buying some
gas.

I see many flights from Syracuse that might not be too far out of the way and
have service besides the ones you listed, though...

HPN and BDL are also light-GA friendly. I saw a flight SYR-BDL for just about
$10 more than SYR-PVD, but I don't know your exact plans...

Logan is probably not a good choice, and while I have heard Dulles is GA
friendly, I suspect PVD will be easier.
Old April 6th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting
Ray Andraka

xyzzy wrote:

Looks like this Friday I may be picking up a family member on the way
to KHYA. I'll be leaving from KTTA in NC and we're trying to decide
which airport would be better to pick up a pax at in a C172. The
choices are KBOS, KPVD, or KIAD (she's in Syracuse and will have to
fly commercial to one of those airports). Airnav shows high landing/
ramp fees and expensive FBO's at all of them. KBOS looks like the
worst. Anyone have any experience or recommendations for either of
those airports? TIA.

Well, this is after tha fact, but being based at PVD I thought I'd pipe
in. PVD is easy to fly in and out of and it isn't very busy compared to
the others you are considering, or for that matter compared to some busy
class D airports like Bedford or Teterboro. The only FBO, Northstar, is
not the most friendly, so just be prepared for that. Last time I went
through the Nortstar "terminal" there was still no airline style
security to go through. You do need to be escorted on the ramp, but
that's about it. Being based there, I don't know what the landing fees
are (aircraft based in RI don't pay any landing/handling fees at any of
the RI airports). Gas is cheaper than most large airports in the
region, but considerably more than small airports like Newport and
Westerly. Last I checked it was $4.95/gal. The FBO is on the north
side of the airport away from the main terminal which is on the east
side. You'll need a ride between the two. If the FBO isn't busy, you
can probably get a ride from them, but I wouldn't count on it. It is
about a 1-1/2 mile walk if you don't get a ride.

I've flown quite a bit into BOS for angel flight. It isn't especially
difficult if you are proficient with the radio and instrument
procedures. It would be quite intimidating to someone who's never flown
into a class B hub airport. The fees there range from appalling to
staggering depending on the time of day, although I can say that I've
never paid them because AF is exempt. Gas there is also expensive, I
bought that once and it made PVD's gas look like bargain basement stuff
by comparison. PVD by comparison is a much easier airport in terms of
air traffic control, taxiing, fees and ease of getting in/out of the
airport on the ground. Neither has outstanding facilities for GA. The
GA facility at BOS is also somewhat away from the main terminal,
although I believe you can get the airport shuttle in front of the GA
terminals.

I've also flown into BWI quite a bit. The facilities are nicer than BOS
and the fees are very reasonable comparatively speaking. GA generally
uses a runway the air carriers do not use, and it is a short taxi to
signature. The signature terminal is quite a distance from the main
terminal, but they are pretty good at getting you a ride if you need it.

Light single into KBOS, KPVD, or KIAD? xyzzy Piloting 22 April 6th 07 01:42 AM
Runway 14/32 @ KBOS Jon Piloting 1 December 8th 06 05:11 AM
Light Single at McCarran Dan Piloting 10 November 18th 06 03:09 AM
Fees at Dulles (KIAD)? Jack McAdams Piloting 7 December 30th 03 08:53 PM
WANTED: partnership, rental or club with fast single or light twin in San Diego Jim McGarvie Aviation Marketplace 0 September 13th 03 03:55 PM