Why GA is Dying

Old July 24th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Default Why GA is Dying

Dudley Henriques wrote:

Secondly, duly appointed and authorized airport security has legal authority
to approach anyone at anytime, anywhere on the airport property.....period!

And always have had.

Old July 24th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

If the kid had nothing to hide, what's the
problem with a quick 5 minute visit to the office to show an ID?

The problems is the =idea= that "if you have nothing to hide...". I
should not have to prove that I have nothing to hide by not hiding it.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 24th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Or it means the other airports have been forced to close and
the airplanes are crowded in fewer places.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Crash Lander" wrote in message
| No tie down spots left tells me GA is not dying.
| Crash Lander
|
| --
| I'm not always right,
| But I'm never wrong!
| "Dudley Henriques" wrote in
message

nk.net...

Old July 24th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

In what way are they a "security issue"?

In what way does showing an ID make the "security issue" go away?

Last year security people at a large commercial aircraft plant (which
shall go unnamed) noticed 2 men videotaping the plant. [...]
They were approached by security and asked to identify themselves.
They did so - they were Syrian nationals, on student visas. [...]
The security people found that suspicious and that gave them cause to
search the car. There they found photos and videotapes of commercial
airports, chemical plants, sports venues, shopping centers, theme
parks and trains. They also found a haz-mat manual, which decoded the
signs you see on chemical tank trucks and trains saying what they're
carrying...

We are not talking about a large commercial aircraft plant. We are
talking about a person at an (unnamed but presumed small) airport who
was taking pictures of a (presmuably small) airplane WITH the pilot's
permssion. (True, I don't know whether he took any other pictures:
I taxied over to the wash stand...
The young guy from before happed to be over by the wash
stand with his camera, so we had another conversation as I was washing the
airplane.

) but he was chatting with a pilot who had flown in (presumably)
legitimately. There is a world of difference between the two.

I do agree that photography and note-taking can be used for illicit
purposes. So can mere observation and dicatation into a tape recorder.
Knowledge can be used illicitly - knowing the haz-mat symbols is
useful to terrorists, and not very useful to the average citizen. Is
this however really sufficient to restrict the knowledge? Would
restricting the knowledge really be possible, or even help?

Every independent terrorist act involves the use of basic freedoms.
However, if you restrict these basic freedoms inappropriately, we will
end up with government sponsored terrorist acts against its own citizens
instead, and these are far scarier.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 24th 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Dudley,

People who are taking pictures at airports unfortunately are now a security
issue.

One example where the taking of pictures led directly to a security breach.
Just one. Thanks.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 24th 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

It only has to happen once for a tragedy to occur. No-one checked the soles
of your shoes for explosives until someone tried to blow up something with
explosives in their shoes either. A perfect example of not bothering with it
until a tragedy occurs. When someone takes some pics of a plane, and those
pics are found in the apartment of someone who's just blown themselves and
your best mate up with that same plane somewhere down your street, will you
be complaining why nobody did anything when they saw him taking the pictures
at your local aerodrome?
I'm with Dudley on this one.
Crash Lander

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!

Old July 24th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Crash,

If in 6 weeks time, that aircraft is stolen, and ends up getting loaded with
C4 or some nerve gas, and then crashed into downtown metropolis somewhere,

You should try some other channels than Fox.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 24th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Emily,

No, I come across as someone who is terrified about the state of our
current government. At least one person has picked up on that. I can't
help your lack of reading comprehension. Are you American?

Google posts from Matt, it'll help you understand...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 24th 06, 08:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Conner

"Crash Lander" wrote in message
It only has to happen once for a tragedy to occur. No-one
checked the soles of your shoes for explosives until someone
tried to blow up something with explosives in their shoes
either. A perfect example of not bothering with it until a
tragedy occurs. When someone takes some pics of a plane, and
those pics are found in the apartment of someone who's just
blown themselves and your best mate up with that same plane
somewhere down your street, will you be complaining why nobody
did anything when they saw him taking the pictures at your
local aerodrome? I'm with Dudley on this one.
Crash Lander

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!

First, don't top post. It screws up the readability of the thread. Second,
your logic is some of the worst ever posted on Usenet, so it is pretty bad.
Just because something has not happened is not an excuse to have
over-the-top, ridiculous, paranoid, government-is-always-right security
procedures. If that is what you want then move to some authoritarian
country. Quit trying to turn this country into some slave state.
Personally, I am fed up with the current culture of stupidity that has taken
over this country. It doesn't matter whether it is global warming,
religion, Iraq, taxes, security or stem cells. The stupidity has to stop.