Why GA is Dying

Old July 28th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Why GA is Dying

A 32 Seacamp with the recommended ammo is more effective
than the standard 38 Special 158 grain RN. It is reliable,
lethal on a headshot, lethal on a heart shot, and it is
available when nothing else might be.

My choice is a Colt Officer's ACP .45 ACP with 200 grain +P
HP, carried behind the hip in a holster of my own design.
But since most people do not have unlimited funds, people
carry what they have. Any gun, in any caliber is better
than a big gun locked away at home.

There are several small .45s on the market,
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ultracarry/ are not
much bigger than the Seacamp. Dirty Harry not withstanding,
really big handguns are not first choice for self-defense,
except where there are large bears, lions or other 1,000
pound monsters. Ruger makes the 480 and 454 Alaskan and S&W
has the snubby versions of the .500, but these are just too
big and powerful for anti-personnel use. Too much power
delays repeat shots and if there are two or more attackers
you need repeat shots.

The 40 S&W and 45 ACP are about ideal, the 9 mm [9x19
Luger/Parabellum/NATO] is a good minimum unless some other
factor, such as physical weakness in the hands, or just no
way to carry or control something bigger. But remember the
point is to protect yourself, a gun may scare the attacker
into flight without a shot being fired. A shot fired that
hits the right place is better than a miss with a 44 Magnum.
The .22 LT HP is pretty effective at killing but it is not a
stopper. The bigger bullet has a better chance of stopping
the attacker and may not be as lethal as some smaller
calibers. But ideally, an attacker will never attack
because they will be worried that you may be armed. If they
do attack, the sight of your gun may scare them away [this
is very common]. If you have to shoot, you want to make
them stop their attack, you want to stun them into complete
inaction instantaneously. Bottom-line, you want to go home.

If you have to shoot someone with justification, call the
police as soon as you can, request an ambulance, tell the
911 operator the basic facts. Don't alter any part of the
crime scene or nothing you say will be believed. Don't move
the body, except as needed to provide first aid. Don't
decide that you need more "justification" and drop a knife
or gun if you don't see one after the shooting. Try to keep
his buddies away, they will take his gun or knife and hide
it. If you have a camera phone, take pictures while you're
calling. Don't say too much... have your lawyers 24/7
contact number.

some support

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| Have you seen a 32 Seacamp?
|
| I'm not sure that simply making an attacker mad is a good
self-defense

Old July 28th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Mas A yob, nice guy as long as he's on your side.

Old July 28th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

I meet Jordan a couple of times. Ayoob's book is far more
useful, it is a must read, covers training, mind set, what
to do if attacked and what to do afterward.

some support

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| The 51% rule applies in Kansas too.
|
| BTW, have you read Massod Ayoob's book IN THE GRAVEST
| EXTREME ?
|
| Is it good? I did read Bill Jordan's book "No Second
Place Winner."

Old July 28th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The new round for the M1903 Springfield rifle was modified
in 1906 with a lighter weight spire point bullet, replacing
the 220 grain round nose. The barrels on rifles already in
service were removed, shortened one thread at the rear and
rechambered for the slightly different requirements. It was
used in the 1903 Springfield, the 1917 Enfield, the Johnson
and Garand rifles, the BAR, and 1917 machinegun. It is
still always in the top calibers sold and ammo purchased.

The 7.62x51 NATO [aka .308 Winchester] has the same power in
a shorter case due to improved powders, which allowed the
case to be 1/2 inch 12 mm shorter.

dates are done with a slash, .30/06 is correct. If you use
a hyphen it still means the same.

wrote in message

| For those not in on Texas law, a 30.06 sign is a sign
that
| conforms to the Texas law on such signs, as to wording
and

Old July 28th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

You sound too nice to have your face smashed by some thug,
recheck your priorities. The point is anybody can become a
target at a time chosen by the attackers.

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| Just a guess, your early 20s, 5'6", blonde and have a
| cellphone attached at the ear. Some pervert saw you in
your
| airline uniform and got your tag number. You've just
become
| a stalking victim and don't even know it yet. But he
knows
| where you work and live and he will follow you until he
gets
| up the nerve to make contact. Hope you have more than
that
| cellphone.
|
| Well, I'm driving a new car without a license plate, don't
work for an
| airline, am brunette, and in my mid 20's, but you got the
height right.

| Believe me, I'm not anti-gun, it's just something that's
not high on my
| list of things to do right now. I'm doing what I can (and
what I've
| done falls under the "I'm not going to say because I want
it to be a

Old July 28th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
You sound too nice to have your face smashed by some thug,
recheck your priorities. The point is anybody can become a
target at a time chosen by the attackers.

Unfortunately, my priorities at this point are dictated by my employer
(as it should be). And that means too much traveling at the moment to
even think about a gun.
Old July 28th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default POL Why GA is Dying

I think the Dutch paid the Indians $32 in junk jewelry and
beads.

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
| Grumman-581 wrote:
|
| On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 11:47:28 -0500, Emily

| wrote:
|
| Sorry, disagree with you on this one. I didn't own
property until two
| years ago, and I was a hell of a lot more competent to
vote than most
| landowners.
|

| Well, I guess I've owned land all my life... Family
ranch that has
| been in the family for over 100 years... Started out
originally as 1
| section (i.e. 640 acres), but thanks to government theft
when they
| decided to dam a river and make a lake, only about 100
acres is left
| now...
|
| Yes, but it isn't yours as your family stole it from the
native Americans.

Old July 28th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The King of Spain gave a few people most of southern Texas.

"Bob Noel" wrote in
message
| In article , Matt
Whiting
| wrote:
|
| Yes, but it isn't yours as your family stole it from the
native Americans.

| who stole it from other native americans, who stole it
from ....

Old July 28th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

STARSHIP TROOPERS, Service equals Citizenship. You have all
the rights, except the right to vote unless your risked your
life. When your discharged, you get to vote.

The movie sucked, the books was very good.

If I ruled the USA, voters would have to pass a test run by
a machine, identify certain people by their picture, pick
the correct answer to a few questions on the Constitution.
Which people you ask? Public figures from history; Lincoln,
Grant, Lee, Henry, Washington, Ike, Reagan, their current
Congressman and Senators, maybe some Supreme Court members.
What history? Random questions, anything, Civil War, WWI
and WWII, Mexican War 1 and 2, Bill of Rights, enough to
show they have some interest and are aware of the issues.

But that isn't likely to happen. politicians prefer stupid
voters who will keep returning them to office.

some support

. ..

**** that.

| Well, I did my time, so I don't have a problem with them
requiring
| it... All in all, as much as I bitched about it at the
time, I would
| have to say that it definitely builds character... Then
again, as we
| used to say, "A happy sailor is a bitching sailor"...
|
| My problem with requiring military service is that when
people talk
| about mandatory service, they talk about mandatory
enlisted service. I
| have a HUGE problem with being forced to enlist.
|
| And although I think I'm too old for the draft now, if
they started
| drafting women, I'd be in OCS so fast my current employer
wouldn't know
| what hit them. THAT'S how I really feel about mandatory
military service.

Old July 28th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Sticks and stone will break my bones, but a woman who can
cuss can't object to my using those words sometimes.

. ..